Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,007,975 times

Advertisements

I have really wanted to share a few samples here to get some feedback but I guess I am feeling overly protective of my writing. Anyone else feel that way? I guess it pretty silly but I think what if someone take my idea and runs with it? Any suggestions on ways to get feedback from other writers? Maybe if it were not online I would feel more comfortable. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,479,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I have really wanted to share a few samples here to get some feedback but I guess I am feeling overly protective of my writing. Anyone else feel that way? I guess it pretty silly but I think what if someone take my idea and runs with it? Any suggestions on ways to get feedback from other writers? Maybe if it were not online I would feel more comfortable. TIA
Try sharing a throwaway idea that you know leads to piles of plot brambles you simply won't care to disentangle.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,675 times
I know exactly what you mean. I believe that is part of being a writer, being over protective of "your baby" you have given it life and untill you are fully convinced
it will survive on its own, sharing it with any one seems just the wrong thing to do.
I have tried getting feedback from close family members that I trust, however much to my dismay they are the toughest critics.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 AM

I've shown my husband and a few friends but all I get is "that's really good". I give it very little weight though considering they are my biggest fans. Also they are not exactly literary experts. I wish I could get some feedback from someone in the business. I guess if it were that easy then there would not be so many of us "trying" to be published writers.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM

83 posts, read 206,678 times
Default Sharing your writing

I am a member of FanStory. It is an online membership only, part of Writer's Digest. It provides a relatively safe way of sharing your writing and getting non-professional and professional feedback. I've been a member for two years and I love it! It has encouraged me to keep trying and I love reading the writings of others. Try it, you will like it!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,362,644 times
your hesitation to share your creative output is likely tied to a belief that your personal "worth" is at stake. As an active fine artist, and amateur writer, I take a different view. Honest critique is a wonderfully valuable "learning tool". I may never re-paint or re-write works that are not 100 percent successful, but I will use the knowledge gained from them to avoid habitiual "problems" in the future. I wasn't always so "self assured" of course, maybe that is something that comes with age. . . best of luck to you!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM

69 posts, read 132,209 times
Crits (not by family and friends) are the best way to learn and grow.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleWind View Post
I am a member of FanStory. It is an online membership only, part of Writer's Digest. It provides a relatively safe way of sharing your writing and getting non-professional and professional feedback. I've been a member for two years and I love it! It has encouraged me to keep trying and I love reading the writings of others. Try it, you will like it!
That sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,287,175 times
It sounds like you are speaking of concern about possible copy-catting or copyright infringement rather than just fear of rejection about sharing your work. Am I correct?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It sounds like you are speaking of concern about possible copy-catting or copyright infringement rather than just fear of rejection about sharing your work. Am I correct?
Yes, which makes me feel a little silly because that assumes someone would actually want to copy my ideas but you never know. I am not afraid of some good honest criticism; in fact that is exactly what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing