Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM

514 posts, read 718,616 times

Advertisements

Actually it's the actual overuse of the actual word "actual", along with the actually related actual word "actually" , that sends my mind reeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,028,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
I believe you are.

It can be seen all over the internet. People misusing the word "fail".

I'm even hearing it in speech now. "That was so fail!"

I've never heard it misused in a sentence like that. I have heard it used alone.

For example, there is a thread that is ridiculous on a message board and someone simply post the word fail in the attempts to convey their feelings that the thread is dumb or worthless. Another example, is they see someone fall and they yell out, "Fail!".

Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,905,235 times
Historical meaning "big" in order to give a false sense of self-importance to our contemporaries : e.g. a historical storm (meaning a "big" storm) or a historical score (meaning a high score) or a historical feat, or disaster, or heat record, etc.
It's usually the journalists who are guilty of this kind of hysterical rhetoric....

Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,042,282 times
Far too many people say "jealous" when they mean "envious". Just this morning, a radio show host was talking on the air to another guy from the station who was at the local racetrack for some promotional event. The guy was about to do a couple of laps at 160 mph, and the host said that he was "jealous".

I said (out loud, to the radio), "No, you're envious. You wish you were having the experience he's having. If you were jealous, you'd be wishing that he was with you instead of at the racetrack!"

Talking to the radio makes me feel better but rarely accomplishes anything more than that.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:26 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,028,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Far too many people say "jealous" when they mean "envious". Just this morning, a radio show host was talking on the air to another guy from the station who was at the local racetrack for some promotional event. The guy was about to do a couple of laps at 160 mph, and the host said that he was "jealous".

I said (out loud, to the radio), "No, you're envious. You wish you were having the experience he's having. If you were jealous, you'd be wishing that he was with you instead of at the racetrack!"

Talking to the radio makes me feel better but rarely accomplishes anything more than that.

One of the definitions of jealous is "resentful or bitter". If the person you are referring to is resentful or bitter towards the person having the experience, then his use of jealous would be correct.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:34 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,941,572 times
The use of the word 'cheers' as a sign off on emails, or as a way of conveying thanks. A moronic client of my partner ends each freakin' email with "Cheers!" Exclamation mark included. I keep expecting an alcoholic beverage to appear, but it never does. It's not only misused, but over-used.
It's gone too far and must be stopped. SOMEONE should do something.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,458,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

I don't think you completely understand the word jealous. I don't see anything wrong with his usage.

"jealous, covetous, envious The central meaning shared by these adjectives is "resentfully or painfully desirous of another's advantages": jealous of her friend's success; covetous of his neighbor's possessions; envious of their art collection."

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from American Heritage Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,156,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
I believe you are.

It can be seen all over the internet. People misusing the word "fail".

I'm even hearing it in speech now. "That was so fail!"
It's slang. It's supposed to be incorrect.

Quote:
The use of the word 'cheers' as a sign off on emails, or as a way of conveying thanks. A moronic client of my partner ends each freakin' email with "Cheers!" Exclamation mark included. I keep expecting an alcoholic beverage to appear, but it never does. It's not only misused, but over-used.
It's gone too far and must be stopped. SOMEONE should do something.
It's another way to say goodbye.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 PM

37,827 posts, read 41,161,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
What do you think is the most misused word?
I'll go with "rights."

Old 07-22-2009, 04:30 PM

40,048 posts, read 34,700,513 times
Irregardless and ginormous, neither of which are real words in the first place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing