Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,121,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
"To tell you the truth..." (Because you usually lie?)
"To be honest" or..... "I have to be honest with you".....

Drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,523,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
"To be honest" or..... "I have to be honest with you".....

Drives me nuts.
laughing insanely--so you have met my 'friend', Cindy? She always said that---a real back stabber, rotten apple, big baby--caused so many problems for the 'more mature' staff members, who really KNEW her.

May she rot in wherever she is--dead now and I think that is for the best.

There is a picture in her honor/memoriam in my school--that was ruined when she was transferred there--thought to be a Master Teacher--'The Best Teacher Ever' by a principal--she gossiped with him about others on the staff--friend of my principal who then did the same with the Wonderful Gift to Teaching. I sat him down and told him the truth--the look of betrayal and hurt in his eyes was painful. Fortunately she didn't ruin his career--that he had worked so hard to build--was finally recognized for his hard work and did much more good for children as an Area Coordinator---Semper Fi, JL. Still your friend---such men are very rare--that lead with courage, conviction and compassion.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM

5,540 posts, read 7,133,138 times

Old 11-29-2009, 11:19 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,489,858 times
At any rate.

(No, that's not my irritating phrase.)

What is more irritating than corporate-speak carefully crafted to lie?

"This is a courtesy call, to let you know that you can now buy..." You mendacious excrescence. This is not a courtesy call. This is a sales call.

"In order to better serve you, we have adjusted our fee structure and made personnel adjustments." What you are saying is that you have adjusted all the fees up and all the personnel coverage downward. I can't wait to see how much better that serves me.

"We offer competitive salary and benefits..." Not everyone does. But everyone says that. Some of you are liars.

"The last four of your soash..." So now you can't even fully articulate it as 'Social Security Number.' There's no security in this quasi-password. Oh gods, how I wish I were wealthy enough to just tell everyone who asks for this to go to hell.

"You mean your payoff balance?" (Blurted by a bank employee every month when I phone in and ask, clearly, for my principal loan balance.) No, you imbecile. Had I wanted a payoff balance I would not have used the term 'principal balance'. If you do not know the difference between those terms, quit your job today.

"Your subscription to Pez Weekly will expire very soon! Time is running out!" In other words, it'll be up in about eight months. I just subscribed four months ago.

"This is the BEST OFFER you will receive!" Translation: "You will receive this same offer every month for the next four months. Big deal. Take your time."

"I will be happy to provide you with excellent service in answer to that question, sir. Would you mind holding the line just one moment? It will only take a second, sir." Do you really need to say all that [term for solid waste matter]? How about "I'll find out, sir. Please hang on, be right back." You sound like answering my question is giving you wood. Just do it.

I hate 'em. And the worst part is that in the case of the spoken ones, it's usually some minimum wage sufferer saying exactly what s/he has been ordered to say.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:07 PM

88,794 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
At any rate.

(No, that's not my irritating phrase.)

What is more irritating than corporate-speak carefully crafted to lie?

"This is a courtesy call, to let you know that you can now buy..." You mendacious excrescence. This is not a courtesy call. This is a sales call.

"In order to better serve you, we have adjusted our fee structure and made personnel adjustments." What you are saying is that you have adjusted all the fees up and all the personnel coverage downward. I can't wait to see how much better that serves me.

"We offer competitive salary and benefits..." Not everyone does. But everyone says that. Some of you are liars.

"The last four of your soash..." So now you can't even fully articulate it as 'Social Security Number.' There's no security in this quasi-password. Oh gods, how I wish I were wealthy enough to just tell everyone who asks for this to go to hell.

"You mean your payoff balance?" (Blurted by a bank employee every month when I phone in and ask, clearly, for my principal loan balance.) No, you imbecile. Had I wanted a payoff balance I would not have used the term 'principal balance'. If you do not know the difference between those terms, quit your job today.

"Your subscription to Pez Weekly will expire very soon! Time is running out!" In other words, it'll be up in about eight months. I just subscribed four months ago.

"This is the BEST OFFER you will receive!" Translation: "You will receive this same offer every month for the next four months. Big deal. Take your time."

"I will be happy to provide you with excellent service in answer to that question, sir. Would you mind holding the line just one moment? It will only take a second, sir." Do you really need to say all that [term for solid waste matter]? How about "I'll find out, sir. Please hang on, be right back." You sound like answering my question is giving you wood. Just do it.

I hate 'em. And the worst part is that in the case of the spoken ones, it's usually some minimum wage sufferer saying exactly what s/he has been ordered to say.
They have a script. And then there are further scripts depending upon what your response was.

I had a brief part-time career as the person who calls to try to get you to renew a lapsed magazine subscription.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ok, I'm probably weird here, but is anyone else bothered by the phrase " to go missing" or "She went missing." I just never heard that till a few years ago. It seems more correct to me to say something like "She was missing since Friday..." or "She is missing..." not "went." Now I hear it everywhere including the local news. Is this proper grammar?
I just came across the above from July.

When did this start being OK to say? I used to hear people from other parts of the country say "gone missing" or "went missing" on TV shows like Most Wanted and thought it an amusing regional thing, but now I hear newscasters say it and my own daughter says things have "gone missing" and thinks this is normal.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:25 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,489,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They have a script. And then there are further scripts depending upon what your response was.

I had a brief part-time career as the person who calls to try to get you to renew a lapsed magazine subscription.
I know. Gods help me, I used to work a call center that was trying to help re-elect Ronald Reagan. I'm still working off the karma.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:29 PM

429 posts, read 685,760 times
The word awesome said repeatedly.Awesome should only be a word used to describe GOD.And the phrase No worries....what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
The word awesome said repeatedly.Awesome should only be a word used to describe GOD.And the phrase No worries....what exactly is that supposed to mean?
It means somebody liked Crocodile Dundee and picked up the Australian phrase.

Don't know where you got the idea that awesome should only be used to describe God. It means full of awe or awe-inspiring. "Awful" used to mean the same thing.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,666,183 times
Whenever some car manufacturer has to do something about emptying out the lot, you see commercials heralding a "sales event." Personally, I think that whoever came up with the phrase should be shot without benefit of a trial.

Newsflash: a sale is an event. You do not get bonus points for redundancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing