Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 05:34 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,145 times

Advertisements

"Take" used as a noun, meaning viewpoint, opinion, perspective etc. I hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
1. When someone ends everything they say with "Does that make sense?" It's been said before but I feel so strongly about it that I need to repeat it. HOPEFULLY those people who incessantly say it will recognize themselves and stop.

2. Too/to, loose/lose, their/they're/, your/you're, etc.

3. When something needs to be 'tweaked'...arrrrggghhhh...

4. 'chill' used as an adjective. Sounds so elitist it drives me crazy.

5. and the special prize going to..."My bad." WHEN did this become mainstream and what can we do as a collective society to get rid of it?????????????? I cringe every time I hear it; and I'm starting to hear it all over TV lately. It makes people sound like they're trying to be cool or hip and come to think of it, anything someone says that is the 'in' thing to say, if they're not between the ages of 13 and 19, makes them sound like an idiot. Nuff said. Oh that's another one...

LOL. Sorry.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 AM

50 posts, read 56,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think I'm going to start sending people over here to these threads for re-education when I see these errors in the other forums.
Haha! That would be funny! Then they could see where all of us anal retentives hang out!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
I don't know why, but the word coupon pronounced as "q-pon" drives me nuts. I realize it's regional and according to Merriam-Webster it's an acceptable pronounciation, but it still gets on my nerves.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,801 times
the Mass habit of adding an "r" where it shouldn't be....... ie: pizzer, gararge, . I was just at a party and asked the men to correctly identify the female sex organ (had to satisfy THIS curiosity) They all chimed in vaginer. Good grief!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
the Mass habit of adding an "r" where it shouldn't be....... ie: pizzer, gararge, . I was just at a party and asked the men to correctly identify the female sex organ (had to satisfy THIS curiosity) They all chimed in vaginer. Good grief!
You must've been in the "back woods" somewhere. I've never heard that before-lol.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My third grade students use the word "verse" a lot to mean "challenge" or "to play against". For example: I'll verse you in checkers. Another example: Do you want to verse me in a game of Battleship?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Actually I kind of like that one. I never heard it but it's sort of like trash talk. "I'm going to teach you a lesson in battleship."
I suspect that it's a back-formation from "versus". It could be that the kids misunderstood it as "verses", a form of the non-existent verb, "to verse".

Old 06-01-2010, 08:12 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I don't know why, but the word coupon pronounced as "q-pon" drives me nuts. I realize it's regional and according to Merriam-Webster it's an acceptable pronounciation, but it still gets on my nerves.
That's how everyone pronounced it when and where I grew up. I later learned that not everyone says it that way.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,547 times
Oh! I've got another one!

Guaranteed OR your money back! Well, which is it? Guaranteed? Money back?

THEY ARE THE SAME THING! So if it's not guaranteed, do I get my money back?

I'm going to start selling some crappy stuff and tell people "guaranteed or your money back" and when they try to return it I'll say, "sorry, it's not guaranteed." To which they will reply, "but you said guaranteed or your money back." And I'll reply "right. Either it's guaranteed OR you get your money back. Either or. But it's not guaranteed, so here's your money back."

What a waste of time that would be.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Kudos to the PP who mentioned "like"!! It is insanely irritating.

Next time I hear ..."and I was like..." ..."and she was like..." every 30 seconds I am most certainly going to have a heart attack.
It makes you want to reach for the nearest sharp object does it not ?

I swear I have been close to the most brutal of murders quite a few times on hearing those words spoken by some intensely vapid creature with all the intellectual appeal of a comatose earthworm....

I also hate "whatever" and "talk to the hand".... And don't even get me started on text language which propels me into paroxysms of rage and spluttering exasperation !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing