Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,973 times

Advertisements

Another one I hate is McMansion (sounds like something the Hamburgler would live in).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I used to work with a person who said: Can't see the farce for the trees.

And my all time fave: My Dad has Oldtimer's disease.

You can't make that up.
I had a friend who said Oldtimer's. She was talking about Oldtimer's disease in the office one day, and knowing a coworker within earshot had a mother with advanced Alzheimer's, I suggested she keep it down and not make a joke about the name of the disease. She didn't know what I was talking about--thought that was really what it was called.

Same person also thought artificial grass was "Afroturf".

Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Another one I hate is McMansion (sounds like something the Hamburgler would live in).
I thought McMansion was clever back in the 90's when they were throwing up all these pretentious oversized houses on disproportionately small lots, but now it's been said to death.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,880,699 times
The common mistakes the French do in written English : "low coast" meaning "low cost", "looser", meaning "loser", "sweetshirt" meaning "sweat shirt" and many others.
So ...preposterous. And you may tell them, they don't care. They go on doing the same mistakes over and over again.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,561,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same person also thought artificial grass was "Afroturf".
That's a keeper.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,872,981 times
Due to

Yeah, 2 words, but.....Trains, Planes, Boats, et al are due to arrive at a specific time (more or less). Things happen "BECAUSE OF" other events. i.e. "Due to the amount of snow, schools have been cancelled" NOOOOOOOO, it is "Because of" snow, schools are closed. Snow may be due to arrive around 2 a.m. and schools may be cancelled because of the snow, but....Not "Due to".

Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,872,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
"sassy" sounds pleasant to me, reminds me of the plant "sassafra"!
Actually "Sassafras" is a tree, which is also a plant, and, for the most part they are pulled up early before they get any real size because the bark and roots are the most fragrant and the most commercially viable---"Root Beer" is the most common usage.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,242,447 times
I have oldtimers disease. We all get it. Grey hair is one of the signs.

Years ago I used to always say "it ain't the heat, its the stupidity"
Recently I saw a bumpersticker that said exactly that. Hmm.

I still have a bumpersticker that says "kill your television".
None of those words drive me nuts, in relation to the OP.

In our area there are rednecks, cajuns, texans, mississipians, alabamians, arkansaians....
and they all talk funny, so I'm accustomed to the language being... stretched beyond recognition.

I'm not too fond of the "omg generation" with their facetwits buried in a cell phone... but they don't drive me nuts.
I just don't have much respect for them. No "lols" or smiley faces.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrold52 View Post
My other is , if you are over 25 years old, you are no longer someones "girlfriend" or "boyfriend". A 60 year old sounds stupid using these words. Lets try " manfriend" or ladyfriend" or gentlemanfriend"
There's an important difference. I'm not sleeping with my "lady friends". Nor giving them expensive gifts, nor buying them dinner and theater tickets. They don't even live (or shower) with me.

Nowadays, unless things have changed (again) since last time I checked the protocol, if I introduce a lady as "my friend", the intimacy of the relationship is understood, and the introduction would be made without the qualifier if she was just a lady whom I considered among my circle of friends.

In other words, "This is 'my friend' ( = whom you'd damned well better keep your hands off of), Jane Smith."

Last edited by jtur88; 11-18-2010 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,948,840 times
I don’t like flowery language. When it includes grammatical errors it really makes my skin crawl.

Which of those two do you prefer?

I want to say – Do not spend money before the contract is signed.

It gets edited to say -- Please understand that we are unable to reimburse your organization for expenses incurred prior to the execution of the contract.

Because of / due to errors irk me.

I don’t understand the word “utilize.” It adds no meaning or nuance to a sentence, only syllables.

And finally, the "college words" - random, shady, sketchy, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing