Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,498,823 times

Advertisements

All business newspeak. Rightsizing (it's canning people, stupid), ramping up (it's get to fricking work, stupid), best of breed (as opposed to deliberately seeking out the worst of breed, stupid), best practices (as opposed to the worst practices we were planning on using, stupid), and every other idiotic buzzword I had to listen to back when I wore a suit. Dilbert liberated me and my mind. I don't think of myself as any of the media-assigned generations (Boomer, X, Y, Me, whatever). I think of myself as part of the Dilbert generation: the group for whom Scott Adams spoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,372,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
All business newspeak. Rightsizing (it's canning people, stupid), ramping up (it's get to fricking work, stupid), best of breed (as opposed to deliberately seeking out the worst of breed, stupid), best practices (as opposed to the worst practices we were planning on using, stupid), and every other idiotic buzzword I had to listen to back when I wore a suit. Dilbert liberated me and my mind. I don't think of myself as any of the media-assigned generations (Boomer, X, Y, Me, whatever). I think of myself as part of the Dilbert generation: the group for whom Scott Adams spoke.
So true. They think that giving something a benign or confusing name prevents people from figuring out what it really means. Dilbert is king!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:30 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,895,589 times
Quote:
Like when they say 'your a looser'? Reminds me of when they say 'your a moran'.
On hiway 80, going towards Wendover (a gambling town right outside the State of Utah), was a billboard ....
*Looser slots* ......

Geesj, maybe just for the morans of Utah ?????

Last edited by irman; 08-12-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,895,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Don't you hate it when people say "my bad"?
Yeah ....., and I do not understand why you want to know if I do NOT hate it ?

Geesj, out of the 18 pages above, half of you nincompoops use buzzwords ....
Oh well, durnit, here I used a few myself ....

Oops, when you look up *nincompoop*, put yourself in one of the several meanings ....

Oh well .... English is NOT my mothers tongue, it is yours and I am only using it ....

What is a fact, is that "Language is a *living thing*" (can I say that?),
and thus it changes constantly ..... I think.

Last edited by irman; 08-12-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,209,622 times
Quote:
All business newspeak. Rightsizing (it's canning people, stupid), ramping up (it's get to fricking work, stupid), best of breed (as opposed to deliberately seeking out the worst of breed, stupid), best practices (as opposed to the worst practices we were planning on using, stupid), and every other idiotic buzzword I had to listen to back when I wore a suit. Dilbert liberated me and my mind ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
So true. They think that giving something a benign or confusing name prevents people from figuring out what it really means. Dilbert is king!
TQM (Total quality management), Quality Circles, Lean Six Sigma, et al which had management attending meetings where they would sit around and get so pumped saying buzzwords at one another. Meanwhile nothing changes on the floor where the work gets done. My most hated phrase of this ilk was "Implementing new methodologies to create a whole new paradigm." I asked a question from the floor at one of the grand meetings presenting the latest exciting management "system" re the "implementing new methodologies..." phrase. I asked "What does this mean in plain English?" And all the management boobs on the stage mumbled and rumbled among themselves and couldn't come up with an answer, but made it plain that I was not appreciated.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,372,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
TQM (Total quality management), Quality Circles, Lean Six Sigma, et al which had management attending meetings where they would sit around and get so pumped saying buzzwords at one another. Meanwhile nothing changes on the floor where the work gets done. My most hated phrase of this ilk was "Implementing new methodologies to create a whole new paradigm." I asked a question from the floor at one of the grand meetings presenting the latest exciting management "system" re the "implementing new methodologies..." phrase. I asked "What does this mean in plain English?" And all the management boobs on the stage mumbled and rumbled among themselves and couldn't come up with an answer, but made it plain that I was not appreciated.
Yup, heard those phrases too. Oh my god, what is the Koolaid that everyone across the nation drinks when the get into management? Do they get a manager's bible after they learn the secret handshake? "Synergy" is another one that is still popular. "Vertical" is apparently the new word for category. I am so glad to be retired and not have to put up with that meaningless crap anymore.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,023,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post

Total Quality Management is a pretty common type of management that is taught in most college courses. Pretty much every business course I have taken has covered TQM in some manner.

I'm not saying it is a good or bad phrase but that it is more than a buzzword, it is actually a recognized type of business management.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,752,250 times
restaurant...restaraunt? I can never keep it straight how to spell it.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,441,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Yup, heard those phrases too. Oh my god, what is the Koolaid that everyone across the nation drinks when the get into management? Do they get a manager's bible after they learn the secret handshake? "Synergy" is another one that is still popular. "Vertical" is apparently the new word for category. I am so glad to be retired and not have to put up with that meaningless crap anymore.
That's why I can't stand to watch the TV show, The Office ─ too real ─ and I was management.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,752,250 times
I hate it when they announce in a store that my "party" is at the front desk--and when I get there, there's no "party", just whomever I came with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing