Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 10:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,790,878 times

Advertisements

"Fun" bothers me anyway, because my brain wants to keep it a noun. The adjective was originally "funny," but of course that's not how we use it anymore. A roller coaster can be lots of fun, but I wouldn't call it funny.

Here's one that bugs me: misusing me, myself and I.

Please come visit my husband and I in Chicago. He and myself will be waiting for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,677,550 times
"Be" drives me crazy when it's used incorrectly (and, as a matter of fact, ignorantly). As in, "I be tellin' you."

Old 09-10-2009, 05:28 PM

9,929 posts, read 13,944,827 times
It doesn't drive me nuts, but I'm tired of seeing "meh." What a nothing little word that expresses nothing.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM

742 posts, read 1,232,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Bruschetta is pronounced broosketta, not brooshetta. That's the Italian convention, that "sch" followed by "i" or "e" sounds like "sk". What drives me crazy isn't so much the mispronunciation alone but that it's been sanctioned as the "American pronunciation" of the word, with a big dose of stubbornness, as though the "sch" as "sk" is such an impossible linguistic hurdle that a compromise just had to be reached! Good grief, we say schedule and school without difficulty so what's the problem? We've gone global. We need to open up. When we see an Italian name on paper we should welcome the intuition, from incorporated words, to be able to pronounce it properly. Or are we gonna have American pronunciations of Italian surnames too?
well sorry to say that various italian dialects pronounce words differently.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,327,137 times
"In lieu of" when they mean "in view of." "Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less." Using "affect" and "effect" incorrectly.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,935,315 times
Let's see . . .

At the end of the day---you should be asleep. And so should that phrase be put. Permanently.

The cutting edge---It's perfect for a knife, a saw, a router, a skate blade, or a meat grinder. Personally, I find it the death of a thousand cuts by intellectual laziness for sound prose bidding to describe something new, something different, or something ahead of its time.

Back in the day---it's yesterday. Wouldn't exactly call that old or ancient times.

Dude---Remember George Carlin's old bit about "hey, man--even your mother, they'd say, 'hey, man'." "Dude"'s taken over for "man." And even guys who look as though they've been doing double overtime in the sewer get called "dude." Something stinks about that picture.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Another peeve: misusing discreet and discrete.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:15 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,495,421 times
"It's a mute point." I guess if it existed without anyone making it audibly, yes, it could be.

"Our principle addressed the class."/"This conflicts with all my sense of principal." Please, close that canister of Illiteranium before it contaminates the air.

"As a women, I find this offensive." You either don't even know the difference between the singular and plural of your own gender, or you are multiple women. Which will it be?

The constant and automatic overuse of 'hero' to define anyone serving in any way at any time in any US armed force, paramilitary force or even police or fire departments, especially if their situation actually requires them to in some way see a potential adversary (obviously, actual engagement with an actual adversary equals automatic and instant heroism). You can start a brawl by asserting that not everyone in the military is a hero--and yet they can't all be, as anyone with any sense realizes.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:28 PM

914 posts, read 1,809,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWarrior View Post
Tell us what word sets your teeth on edge.

I'll start.

I despise the word "chuckle". There's nothing wrong with the word, technically. I see it in almost every book I read. And yet, it makes me want to grind my teeth.

Now fess up. What word do you hate.
Words I have are all "chat" words that get used in texts.

LOL
WTF
2day
2morow
2nite
UR

You know what I mean? The only thing I like is FML.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:36 PM

What's FML? In my line of work, it's Family Medical Leave, but I doubt that's what you mean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing