Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
That old quote from Wilde (or Sahaw, or Churchill, depending on the source) of England and American being two countries separated by a common language seems appropriate here.

In fact, most pet peeves in launguage come from that separation. English as such isn't a "real" language with real rules and real standards, like, say, French or Latin. English is a mongrel language that came from low use back in the early centuries and adapted all sorts of other words to it. And spellings were random based on the dialect of the speaker until codified by dictionaries later. And then Webster simplified the spellings even more. Who gave that authority, however, to say what is or isn't correct? For example, "ask" vers "aks" (or "axe"). Turns out, the latter is old English and is more correct. But it was said both ways for centuries until Webster codified it as "ask." So while "aks" may grate on the ears to many modern listeners, it is linguistically correct, especially when you look into the etymology of the word.

And there are hundreds more cases like that, most notably where British English and American English take different paths, or modern English diverges from Old English.

As you can probably tell, the word or phrase that drives me most nuts is "proper English." As though there actually is such a thing. People take these things very seriously. People are told things about the language in school that are demonstrably untrue, and they think anyone who doesn't follow along with those beliefs is stupid or wrong.

And it's really hard to undo those teachings.

Linguistically speaking, there is actually no such thing as the "right" way to speak ANY language other than that determined by social or political usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I cannot stand the word womb.
When I first heard it I thought they were saying wound. Why don't they just say uterus?
This struck me funny for some reason.

I heard "womb" long before I ever heard of a "uterus", but then again, my mother had 7 kids. I don't think she ever referred to one of us as having been in her uterus.

Again, those are words that demonstrate the Germanic roots of the Old English language coupled with the additions that came in via the Norman invasion. Womb is of the Germanic origins and therefore the more "common" word, and uterus is Latin and therefore usually more restricted to academic or medical usage.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM

26,844 posts, read 27,010,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I hate the word "vetted". Does that mean he took the dog and went to the vet...
Wow, vetted actually did originally refer to the requirement that a veterinarian check a horse for health before horse racing. Interesting. Vetting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had barely heard the word vetted used until Sarah Palin was running with McCain when, of course, she probably wasn't properly vetted.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wow, vetted actually did originally refer to the requirement that a veterinarian check a horse for health before horse racing. Interesting. Vetting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had barely heard the word vetted used until Sarah Palin was running with McCain when, of course, she probably wasn't properly vetted.
She wasn't. Read the book Game Change about the 2008 elections. It's pretty good. Not "for" one side or the other, just kind of the story of the elections that year. The biggest focus is on the Hillary v. Obama primary race, but they cover everyone else, too.

"Vetted" started to come into fashion in my workplace about six or seven years ago. The first time someone used it on me ("that document has to be VETTED by senior management before you can send it out") I wanted to say, "HUH????" Now everyone uses it.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM

14 posts, read 20,014 times
Moist

Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM

139 posts, read 569,836 times
So i'm like,...so i'm like,...so i'm like,.....you know.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,987,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoteddie View Post
So i'm like,...so i'm like,...so i'm like,.....you know.
As bad as "so he goes..." "and then I go..." "and then he goes..."
Makes me wish they'd both go - far away.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,976,419 times
Every English word that I never heard before and that has the letter "i" in it . Half of the time, I'm just guessing if you pronounce it /i/ or /ai/...

For example, I read the word 'definitive' not long ago and since I never heard it being pronounced, I had no idea if that was to be pronounced /defInitive/ or /defAInitive/. After looking it up, I learned it was the first way.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,987,316 times
The correct pronunciation of definitive uses the short i. The word define uses the long i. I can see why it would be confusing to someone who doesn't have English as a first language. Or even somone who does.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 11-15-2011 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Afterthought

Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,976,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The correct pronunciation of definitive uses the short i. The word define uses the long i. I can see why it would be confusing to someone who doesn't have English as a first language. Or even somone who does.
Thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing