Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2021, 05:14 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think you need a comma after "phrase in," or LilyMae might be offended.
I catch your drift, but I don’t think that LilyMae would have been offended, her posts suggest that she’s intelligent enough to know what I meant, but perhaps I could have worded my post in a better way.
How about, LilyMae, if you like to use the occasional foreign phrase, try this one, “Le seul vrai langue au monde est un baiser”, (The only real language in the world is a kiss.)
It worked well for me when I was in France!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 09:56 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
.. try this one, it used to work wonders for me in Toulouse and Lyon, before I got married of course! Le seul vrai langue au monde est un baiser..
Ah! Dans le temps.. we had a grand time, n'est ce pas?

But, on to a more profound discussion, worthy of my intelligence (she says, tongue in cheek ;-)

Today, I've had (more than one) reason to explore the word harry - to harass - as a verb. And harrier - one who engages in attacks on others - as a noun. As in "The English army waited until spring to go and harry the Welsh"

And then there is the Harrier aircraft which was named after the Northern Harrier hawk - a bird of prey. And the Harrier dog breed, described as a swift, prey-driven pack hound of medium size first bred in medieval England to chase hare.

And of course the proper names Harry and Harriet (a form of Henry/Henriette, which are from the Germanic Heimerich, from heim meaning home and ric meaning power or ruler)

Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Ah! Dans le temps.. we had a grand time, n'est ce pas?

But, on to a more profound discussion, worthy of my intelligence (she says, tongue in cheek ;-)

Today, I've had (more than one) reason to explore the word harry - to harass - as a verb. And harrier - one who engages in attacks on others - as a noun. As in "The English army waited until spring to go and harry the Welsh"

And then there is the Harrier aircraft which was named after the Northern Harrier hawk - a bird of prey. And the Harrier dog breed, described as a swift, prey-driven pack hound of medium size first bred in medieval England to chase hare.

And of course the proper names Harry and Harriet (a form of Henry/Henriette, which are from the Germanic Heimerich, from heim meaning home and ric meaning power or ruler)
Tu es très gentil et très sage ma petite fleur.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:33 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,196,514 times
standard-bearer

Old 03-04-2021, 09:01 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times
shilelagh - a wooden walking stick or club, associated with Ireland and Irish folklore. (the Boston Celtics logo is a leprechaun leaning on his shilelagh)

I saw this word in a book I'm reading and it reminded me of when I was a kid. Our neighbor the dairy farmer (Mack) had a shilelagh to guide the cows into the barn at milking time. He'd pay my brother and me a nickle or a dime (if he had one) to chase them down through the fields if we heard him calling them - Hey, hey, hey bossy - and we could see that they were none to keen on responding. We'd get them moving for him.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:16 PM

176 posts, read 95,940 times
I love the cliches Mama (and countless others, of course) used to say as we grew up.

Anybody wanna start a list of 'em? This could be a lot of fun. Memories...ahh.

1. Any port in a storm. (talking of promiscuous males and well, you get it.)

2. If it had been a snake it would've bitten me.

3. Let's don't and say we did. (no hugging thanks to dang Chinese Virus & I've found myself using this one.)

4. It's always darkest before the dawn.

5. Go by faith, not by feeling.

6. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

7. Lord, help me to never judge another until I've walked in his moccasins for at least two weeks

8. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:44 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Came across this in a book today, describing a white house with a red roof:

the jaunty charm of a toadstool.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:17 AM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
From the same book as above (Devil’s Food by Kerry Greenwood, who also wrote the Phryne Fisher Mysteries),

‘What a woman,’ she said. ‘She gives joy another meaning altogether.’

This reminds me of Southerners saying "Bless your heart."

Old 03-18-2021, 11:38 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,114,969 times
Bookworm

Old 03-20-2021, 01:16 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCinderella View Post
I love the cliches Mama (and countless others, of course) used to say as we grew up.
<>7. Lord, help me to never judge another until I've walked in his moccasins for at least two weeks
<>
Then you'll have his moccasins and you'll be miles away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing