Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 03:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Man Handled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:31 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Mansplained

Old 09-02-2019, 05:37 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Unbirthday

https://wordsmith.org/words/unbirthday.html

Old 09-02-2019, 03:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
The St. Louis Cardinals are now sitting in the catbird seat.

This phrase came to me after their win today. Of course they are in the catbird seat in their division, not the entire league.

https://grammarist.com/idiom/sitting...-catbird-seat/

I looked the phrase up. Red Barber popularized it. But I am not sure where I heard it, except in a James Thurber story decades ago. Surely I’ve heard it verbally somewhere.

I have no idea what its literal meaning would be. What is a catbird or its seat? I have no idea. Any Southerners know?

Old 09-02-2019, 09:07 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Crazy like a fox

Old 09-03-2019, 05:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The St. Louis Cardinals are now sitting in the catbird seat.

This phrase came to me after their win today. Of course they are in the catbird seat in their division, not the entire league.

https://grammarist.com/idiom/sitting...-catbird-seat/

I looked the phrase up. Red Barber popularized it. But I am not sure where I heard it, except in a James Thurber story decades ago. Surely I’ve heard it verbally somewhere.

I have no idea what its literal meaning would be. What is a catbird or its seat? I have no idea. Any Southerners know?

You've heard it because people have said it, and every article I've read about the phrase credits both Barber and Thurber.

As for catbirds, there are many--so named because they make a sound which mimics a cat's meow.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:25 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You've heard it because people have said it, and every article I've read about the phrase credits both Barber and Thurber.

As for catbirds, there are many--so named because they make a sound which mimics a cat's meow.
The catbird perches high up, where it can be seen and can see far out in all directions. His call is a great signal to the critters on the ground that everything is fine, or there's something out there to worry about.

Either way, the catbird gets all the attention. Not because the bird is flashy; it's because it's sitting in the catbird seat, where all the attention is paid.

A lot of these old expressions come from observing nature.

Mama foxes act crazy to lure the coyotes away from the fox's kits in the den. Coyotes never catch on, so the smart mama fox easily escapes the coyote after it falls for the trick every time.

The expression becomes Crazy like a fox. (Which we all know isn't really crazy at all.)

Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Either way, the catbird gets all the attention. Not because the bird is flashy; it's because it's sitting in the catbird seat, where all the attention is paid.

A lot of these old expressions come from observing nature
.)

If I may add to your explanation Banjo..

Another colloquialism with a meaning very similar to catbird seat is "sitting pretty".. The catbird seat is an enviable position, a position of likely success. I can understand how it originated, with the catbird sitting so high up.

Speaking of expressions that come from observing nature - Corn is supposed to be planted in the spring when the red oak leaves are as big as a squirrel's ear.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:53 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
If I may add to your explanation Banjo..

Another colloquialism with a meaning very similar to catbird seat is "sitting pretty".. The catbird seat is an enviable position, a position of likely success. I can understand how it originated, with the catbird sitting so high up.

Speaking of expressions that come from observing nature - Corn is supposed to be planted in the spring when the red oak leaves are as big as a squirrel's ear.
That's a wonderful piece of country wisdom!

Old 09-05-2019, 08:15 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
In 1865 Alice in Wonderland was published and the Chesire Cat was always sitting high in the tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing