Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In this little tiny town, I ordered a glass of white wine from a young waiter. He brought me a glass of rose, lightly pink wine. Which I hate. So I said I actually ordered a glass of white wine, not rose. He looked puzzled and said yellow? Would you like yellow wine? Hm. Yes, I would like yellow wine, please. ;D I tipped him well the night he learned to serve yellow wine.
That cracked me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 PM

19,432 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
In this little tiny town, I ordered a glass of white wine from a young waiter. He brought me a glass of rose, lightly pink wine. Which I hate. So I said I actually ordered a glass of white wine, not rose. He looked puzzled and said yellow? Would you like yellow wine? Hm. Yes, I would like yellow wine, please. ;D I tipped him well the night he learned to serve yellow wine.
lol! (And had you ordered a rosé, he might have corrected you, "You mean a 'roes'?" )

From what I've experienced in some small places where the wine stock doesn't move very quickly, there is also the option of brown wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In the same vein, I once had a bartender look at me with a confused expression on his face when I asked for a glass of Chablis.
Then, his face lit-up and he asked, "Do you mean...Chabb-liss?".
I was about to suggest that maybe we should just started ordering "red wine," "white wine," etc., but then I saw ClaraC's post. lol

Old 05-01-2017, 04:05 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
From what I've experienced in some small places where the wine stock doesn't move very quickly, there is also the option of brown wine.
Yup!

Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM

The next time I'm out, I'm going to order a Sauvignon blanc just to be a stinker.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
Another one I get a lot from wait staff, including bartenders, is when I order a merlot ("mer-loe") and they correct me and say, "You want a 'mer-lott'?"
Hell no, I want a lot of Merlot!

Please people, ask a competent person for wine pronunciation. And not a 18 year old waitress. OMG once I had to show a waitress how to use the common folding corkscrew. The trick is to make sure the point enters the middle of the cork. There's a bit more to it but you get the idea.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The next time I'm out, I'm going to order a Sauvignon blanc just to be a stinker.
I think that you should just throw caution to the winds, and order Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Ordering wines by the color???

Might just as well order by the size glass or carafe and leave the color up to chance!

Any idiot that does not understand liquor terms should not be allowed to work in a place that serves liquor.

Speaking of which, I sure wish I had a vodka martini, shaken, dirty, 3 olives. Well is okay.

On a menu:
Quote:
Our Wine List

1. red wine.

2. white wine.

Please order by number.
(Old joke.)

Old 05-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Ordering wines by the color???
In the hinterlands, that might actually be the best course of action, lest one is served something totally unlike what was desired.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
In the hinterlands, that might actually be the best course of action, lest one is served something totally unlike what was desired.
In my 4x4 days I would take 1-2 cases of wine for a 3 week session of back roading.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Hell no, I want a lot of Merlot!

Quote:
Please people, ask a competent person for wine pronunciation. And not a 18 year old waitress. OMG once I had to show a waitress how to use the common folding corkscrew. The trick is to make sure the point enters the middle of the cork. There's a bit more to it but you get the idea.
I've had to do that a couple of times, too. One time we were patio dining (a favorite thing to do, and a favorite phrase to say) and it was a champagne bottle. I prefer to do that, though, than have the other waitress who purposely let the cork fly, and into the water of the marina.

Quote:
I think that you should just throw caution to the winds, and order Chateauneuf-du-Pape.
Okay, you win.

By the way, I know in the past I've posted "throwing caution to the wind" as a favorite phrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing