Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Mogul
I've always liked that word too. Recently, I just learned it has an Indian origin, and in India, it's more commonly spelled "mughal" or "moghul"

It refers to the group of regional princes, all Muslim, who governed India under an Emperor at the time the British East India Company arrived and conquered the subcontinent through corporate greed and British military power.

The East India Company made The British Empire the wealthiest in the world by robbing India into poverty at the same time the rebels here were trying to drive the Brits out of our own continent.

The moguls (or mughals or moghuls) had ruled India peacefully for 300 years, and the Indian economy was 22% of the entire world's economy, second only to China, throughout that time span.

But in 30 year's time, the advances in weaponry that came from the Wars of the Austrian Succession gave the East India Company such massive military superiority the Emperor of India and his millions of troops, could not defend their country.

There's a new book that tells the tale:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/willia...greed?ref=wrap

That's why I gotta love me some history once in a while. Lots of good stories hide inside a history book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:19 AM

126,267 posts, read 19,036,909 times
Quote:
Mogul
I like that word too and connect it with winter and ski bumps. Mogul skiing was fun when I was young,but now I love watching this competitive sport on TV.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:49 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I like that word too and connect it with winter and ski bumps. Mogul skiing was fun when I was young,but now I love watching this competitive sport on TV.
I wonder how the word mogul came to mean both a powerful person and a bunch of ski bumps. Found this web site with a tentative answer- https://www.etymologynerd.com/blog/mogul-vs-mogul

Today, I like the word roughshod. (regarding shoes on a horse- having shoes with nailheads projecting to prevent slipping as in roughly shod)

Use in a sentence (and why it's in my mind today) - Julian Castro tried to run roughshod over Joe Biden in the debate last evening.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:21 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,
She was very good indeed.
But when she was bad she was horrid.

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Old 09-15-2019, 03:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
Money to Burn... "I wish"

Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I made that association too. In this meaning, 'mogul' appears to be a derivation of a S. German dialect word 'mugel', which describes the same snow condition.

I found it very interesting that mogul, a word I've always known had different connections, one to India and one to skiing, and here in the U.S., we got the word wrong both times.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,
She was very good indeed.
But when she was bad she was horrid.

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
More modern version,
But when she was bad she was awesome.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
Mechanically Chewed

Old 09-20-2019, 09:27 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,971 times
Quote:
Mechanically Chewed
This reminds me of a French slang expression "mache fer" (to "chew iron")

Imagine a monotone voice that drones on and on and on. From a distance, it is completely indecipherable (a good thing) yet annoying as a chronic background noise. That person is chewing iron.

The phrase I like today- Three sheets to the wind.

I've always used it to describe someone who is just kind of kooky. But I looked it up and learned that it actually is used to mean very drunk. In sailing parlance a sheet is a rope or a chain that is attached to the corner of the sail to hold the sail in place. If these sheets are not kept tight, the sails will flap about in the wind. Thus the ship staggers off course, like a drunk.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:52 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
This reminds me of a French slang expression "mache fer" (to "chew iron")

Imagine a monotone voice that drones on and on and on. From a distance, it is completely indecipherable (a good thing) yet annoying as a chronic background noise. That person is chewing iron.

The phrase I like today- Three sheets to the wind.

I've always used it to describe someone who is just kind of kooky. But I looked it up and learned that it actually is used to mean very drunk. In sailing parlance a sheet is a rope or a chain that is attached to the corner of the sail to hold the sail in place. If these sheets are not kept tight, the sails will flap about in the wind. Thus the ship staggers off course, like a drunk.
Thanks for explaining that. I thought "sheets" were sails (which, hello, makes more sense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing