Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 12:42 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I’d rather be nowhere with her, than somewhere without her.
Hope that worked out for you, JF. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
In U.K., the big smoke means London.
Stateside, "The Big Easy" means New Orleans, but everyone probably already knows that. I wonder if there are any other cities w a nickname of "The Big ____"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
haberdashery
I like the word bespoke. And I think a haberdasher would be able to make a bespoke outfit for a gentleman of refined tastes. Google told me it was originally bespoken, meaning "spoken of or arranged beforehand."

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
From pillar to post
In our neck of the woods, Pillar to Post is the name of a home inspection company.

But today, my favorite phrase is hunker down.

Hunker first emerged in the Scots language in the 18th century and originally referred to squatting down low, but still ready to move quickly if necessary. It likely comes from a Germanic root with descendants in other languages, all having to do with crouching, such as the Dutch huiken, the Old Norse húka and the German hocke. "Camping with Steve" reminded me of this phrase. Sometimes altered to "bunker down", which makes sense also bc one can hunker down (or bunker down) in a bunker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 02:19 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
The Biggest Little City in the World, Reno Nevada

Old 06-05-2020, 04:43 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,114,969 times
"arrrghhh!"

Old 06-09-2020, 06:37 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Analytical Thinker

Old 06-15-2020, 07:54 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Bum Steer

Old 06-16-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
"arrrghhh!"
I think Charlie Brown used that frequently. A perfect expression of frustration.

So, today I like skedaddle. We have a wild turkey that comes into the yard very often to eat bugs and she makes quite a mess.. Which I generally do not mind cleaning up afterwards, but the other day, I was bone tired and came upon her scratching at my flowers.. So I told her to skedaddle on out of here tout de suite. She listened to me. Good girl.

Another one I like today is hunky dory.

A quick internet search taught me that both skedaddle and hunky dory fell into usage around the time of the Civil War. In fact skedaddle is Civil War military slang.. I wonder how that came about..

Old 06-16-2020, 06:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,319,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I think Charlie Brown used that frequently. A perfect expression of frustration.

So, today I like skedaddle. We have a wild turkey that comes into the yard very often to eat bugs and she makes quite a mess.. Which I generally do not mind cleaning up afterwards, but the other day, I was bone tired and came upon her scratching at my flowers.. So I told her to skedaddle on out of here tout de suite. She listened to me. Good girl.

Another one I like today is hunky dory.

A quick internet search taught me that both skedaddle and hunky dory fell into usage around the time of the Civil War. In fact skedaddle is Civil War military slang.. I wonder how that came about..

I agree LiliMae, I like those words myself. I also like this explanation of the possible origin.

The Word Detective

There are a number of theories about the origin of “skedaddle,” but no definite answer to the puzzle. The relatively sudden appearance of “skedaddle” as a fully-formed word, with no known ancestors in English, tends to argue for its importation from another language. There are theories that attempt to trace “skedaddle” to various Swedish or Danish words but fail on lack of evidence. It is more probable that “skedaddle” is rooted in the Irish word “sgedadol,” meaning “scattered,” or the Scots word “”skiddle,” meaning “to spill or scatter.” Given the Scots-Irish heritage of many of the states central to the Civil War, these both seem like reasonable bets to me.

Skedaddle « The Word Detective

Old 06-16-2020, 09:12 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post

I think the Peanuts version was
AAUUGGHH!!

Old 06-17-2020, 05:20 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,114,969 times
tout de suite

Old 06-17-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I agree LiliMae, I like those words myself. I also like this explanation of the possible origin.

The Word Detective

There are a number of theories about the origin of “skedaddle,” but no definite answer to the puzzle. The relatively sudden appearance of “skedaddle” as a fully-formed word, with no known ancestors in English, tends to argue for its importation from another language. There are theories that attempt to trace “skedaddle” to various Swedish or Danish words but fail on lack of evidence. It is more probable that “skedaddle” is rooted in the Irish word “sgedadol,” meaning “scattered,” or the Scots word “”skiddle,” meaning “to spill or scatter.” Given the Scots-Irish heritage of many of the states central to the Civil War, these both seem like reasonable bets to me.

Skedaddle « The Word Detective

Now, that makes sense.. Especially sgedadol.. Spot on match.. Thanks, Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think the Peanuts version was
AAUUGGHH!!
I think you are correct, but I've seen a variety of spellings in different sources.

Today I'm going to think about and like two "G" words (as one of the Sesame Street characters used to say.. can't remember which one)

Gratitude and Graciousness.

ETA- Yes, tout de suite does have a certain commanding-ness of tone. No nonsense, right now, no ifs, ands or buts. A literal translation does not convey.. As my M-I-L used to say "Ne cherce pas midi a quatorze heure." (cuz you ain't gonna find it)

:-)

Last edited by LilyMae521; 06-17-2020 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing