Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,489,696 times

Advertisements

"as an enumerator you are for all intensive purposes by your self and left to your own devises"

Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,096,111 times
I'm getting tired of seeing:

-Discusting (disgusting)
-Loosing/looser (losing/loser)

This was actually written on my employers "Todays Special" board the other night for the hotel restaurant (a four-star hotel, mind you)

"Ribeye with blu chees and mushroom sauce with baby carott and aspargus. Soup of the day: minestrony."

Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,489,696 times
Not too long ago at the local movie theater:
"WHY DID I GET MARREID?"

Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,794,224 times
Quote:
chattypatty: The schools have a name for misspellings they refuse to correct: "inventive spelling." It's deemed a good thing . . . I'm concerned that the teachers these days don't know how to spell or speak correctly themselves.
You're correct! Years ago, I attended my daughter's Back-to-School Night and the third grade teacher was very enthusiastic about how she taught the children spelling. She exclaimed, "I love to use music, and song, like spelling Mississippi," and then she began to "sing" it out: M I S S I S S I P P Y! As you can imagine, there were gasps in that room! Those of us who were older and better-educated bit our tongues, but afterwards, we were outside talking and in total shock!

She was not the only teacher who misspelled frequently. It got to the point that I'd actually photocopy the spelling words … that were MISSPELLED… and trot into the principal's office! You don't teach the kids how to MISSPELL! Jees. (I'm sure they had a big party to celebrate my daughter's high school graduation because they wouldn't have to see me anymore!! )

Quote:
Mightyqueen801" I used to work with this young woman who complained all the time that the fiftyish man in the next department was a "pettyfiler" because he was an older man who was always checking her out. He never made any remarks, she'd just catch him looking.

Finally someone pointed out to her that since she always wore mini-skirts up to her azz, he was just being a normal man and couldn't be considered a pedophile anyway because she was a grown woman in her 20's. But forever after, "pettyfiler" has been stuck in my head.

This same woman also once thought that sports teams played on an artificial material named "Afro-turf".

This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read on here.
I have to admit, Mightyqueen801, definitely has some great examples!! I actually had to read the first paragraph a couple of times because I couldn't figure out what was a "pettyfiler." I thought it had something to do with filing! THEN, I saw the explanation!

"Afro-turf," has got to be a classic! I never heard that one before.

I know it's just translations, but I do get a kick out of Engrish.com. Of course, it's hard to translate from Chinese into English. My daughter's boyfriend is Chinese and because I taught her proper English (well, the school wouldn't!), she sometimes gives him a hard time on purpose when he messes up his English. One night she knew exactly what he meant when he said, "Close the lights," and she said, "Do you mean 'Close the door,' or 'Turn off the lights?'" She just couldn't help herself. I have a feeling his English is getting better now! Ha ha!

This is a great thread! It's good to know I'm not the only one who cringes at all these errors. Thanks for the posts -- I have been laughing so hard while reading this thread!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,038,340 times
Lots of native English speakers use "close the lights". My ex-wife said it; she grew up in Wisconsin. Is it a Midwesternism?

Back on the original topic, a local supermarket was selling "Naval Oranges" in the produce section the other day. The small print on the sign had it right, but the large print had "Naval". I told my wife that she couldn't buy any because she'd been in the Air Force.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,794,224 times
Quote:
Rob Allen : Lots of native English speakers use "close the lights". My ex-wife said it; she grew up in Wisconsin. Is it a Midwesternism?
That's interesting -- I didn't realize it could be a regional thing. My father was raised in Wisconsin, and I never heard that, and I was raised in Buffalo (which is pretty Midwestern in nature), and never heard it. It could be some Midwestern thing, I guess. You bring up a good point about regional differences, though. Thanks.

That's cute about Naval vs. Air Force! Clever!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:03 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,096,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Lots of native English speakers use "close the lights". My ex-wife said it; she grew up in Wisconsin. Is it a Midwesternism?

Back on the original topic, a local supermarket was selling "Naval Oranges" in the produce section the other day. The small print on the sign had it right, but the large print had "Naval". I told my wife that she couldn't buy any because she'd been in the Air Force.
I'm in Michigan, and I've never heard "close the lights". Might be local slang?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 PM

88,867 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
No, I was just reading earlier on the New York thread that some people there say it, too.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:24 PM

42,024 posts, read 75,450,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
From there stopped at a local bar where the special was: Lasaunya
My grandmother is spinning in her grave.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,988,358 times
It really grinds my gears when I hear (or read in print) "could of", "would of", "should of". Have, people, have. (sigh)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing