Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
May have been mentioned, but "loose" for "lose.". I can see how it happens, but...

"You're a looser"! Huh? "Loosers" instead of "losers"

Also, I see "rediculous" or "rediculus" often in a forum I visit. What ever happened to plain 'ole "ridiculous"?
Blame it on the return of phonics. When I first entered school, phonics was still being taught, but by the time I graduated from high school, it had been discontinued. I don't know what happened afterward, but somehow phonics has crept back. Maybe it's due to how so many words are sloppily pronounced or mis-pronounced these days. Diction is no longer part of the English curriculum in schools.

There was once a time when folks were sometimes embarrassed by an incorrect pronunciation; it seems now that mis-pronouncing a word, even a common ones such as "for sure" is so common it no longer matters. How long has it been since anyone has heard for sure pronounced as anything but "furr sherr"?

I don't blame the kids. They only repeat what they hear. There once was a time in adulthood when childish ways were abandoned and replaced by how adults spoke, but it seems most adults are perpetually trapped in the 7th grade as far as their speech goes now.

I think the Valley Girls won, even though I know that sounds sexist. Babies learn how to speak from their mothers mostly, and Valley Girl speech was a real social phenomenon 30 years ago.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
I hate when people, usually males, say "man" before or after their sentence. It sounds so ghetto! Oftentimes it's minorities, but whites born in America are also guilty.

"Hey, man, how's it goin?". Or, "don't bother me, man". With foreign speakers, it often sounds like "mUn."

Anybody NOT mind this speech?

Same with "guy," "big guy," "my man," etc. Just replace these utterances for "man" in the above example. They're all annoying. "Dude" also sounds uneducated to me, but I'm 52 y.o. Maybe that's the problem; however, men of my age using these words is not uncommon.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:17 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm just glad this forum has a special place where the spelling police can vent.
I am one, for sure, but spellcheck has a mind of it's own these days; my new computer makes far too many decisions of it's own on my typos, so I don't get after the bad spellers like I once did.

What gripes me more is all the terrible usage these days. 'Me and her seen that movie' always lights me up like a roman candle, as does 'her and I'. Proper grammar is dying a slow and agonizing death these days.
Pittsburgh is the capital of I seen, drives me nuts. I listen to talk shows while driving and the other day a caller said: I seen a plethora of bad calls at the game the other night. I guess we should give him credit for his vocabulary.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
What about confusing respectively with respectfully?

What about a user just above using "it's" for "its"? Some even spell it as "its'", with the apostrophe AFTER the "s"!

Typing 'it's' instead of "its" at the wrong time is likely the most prevalent mistake! It is surely the one that irks me the most! As a result, I feel people think I'm an idiot if I ever type "its" instead of "it's," even at appropriate times.

In fact, "its" looks wrong, as if the user was too lazy to type an apostrophe, when in fact it's sometimes wrong if used with an apostrophe!
Part of that is the fault of the snobbish jerks who made the English rules in the first place, for arbitrarily mandating that pronouns are exempt from the rule that a possessive is formed by adding apostrophe-s. Who the hell can we blame for the fact that English is such a mess in the first place?

Only spoken languages evolve through the natural morphology of language. Rules of writing the language are simply bashed over our heads by people who think they know better, and this was an example.

Bad enough that some morons invented the apostrophe and then made it a silent 27th letter of the alphabet, mandatory as an unpronounced part of our orthography under made-up rules that had a complicated appendix of exceptions. And then they didn't even have the decency to make a capital apostrophe, for use in "'Twas the night . . .".

Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm just glad this forum has a special place where the spelling police can vent.
Agreed. In the health forum, there's a thread entitled, "whopping cough shot?" The person can't tell the difference between whopping and whooping? And it's not a typo, since it's repeated...

Last edited by CA4Now; 10-31-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Agreed. In the health forum, there's a thread entitled, "Whopping cough shot?" The person can't tell the difference between whopping and whooping? And it's not a typo, since they repeat that spelling throughout the thread.
At least the argument can be made that if you're suffering from whooping cough, you just might have a whopping cough.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Pittsburgh is the capital of I seen, drives me nuts. I listen to talk shows while driving and the other day a caller said: I seen a plethora of bad calls at the game the other night. I guess we should give him credit for his vocabulary.
It always amazes me when well- educated people say, "I seen" or "was you?"

I just wonder how someone could make it through grad school without picking up proper grammar.

When I was in elementary school our teachers used to correct students when they said, "I seen" or "I done." Don't they teach grammar any longer?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Although I'm embarrassed to admit that I watch Rehab with Dr. Drew, I was astounded when the good doctor actually said to someone "it was just one of them things". I'm always amazed to hear highly educated professionals in all walks of life use improper grammar. It actually makes me wince. I thank the gods every day that I had parents that constantly corrected me when I used poor grammar.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
At least the argument can be made that if you're suffering from whooping cough, you just might have a whopping cough.
I actually emailed a local radio station about their pronunciation of whooping cough. I got so sick and tired of hearing them say WUPPING cough. These are radio station news readers so you'd think they would know. It's pronounced like hooping, not wupping. All the listeners are learning to say WUPPING if those people don't use correct pronunciation.

Grammar, spelling, pronunciation--no one seems to care anymore. None of it is taught in schools apparently and if you correct someone on CD they accuse you of being The (fill in the blank) Police.

As long as I'm ranting, phonics is responsible for some of the bad spelling. It's a system of teaching reading that goes in and out of fashion. Thank goodness, when I was in school, it was OUT.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
The radio station I listen to is WLW. A few of the younger news reporters pronounce it "dubaya el dubaya."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing