Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
um... no, my second grader knows the difference, she has been taught... there certainly hasn't been a change in teaching the difference between your and you're that I am aware of. I can understand an occasional typo, but in printed material.... unacceptable. I hope you promptly returned it!
Then she is the exception. In my professional life I got sick and tired of correcting bad English ..... and that was from kids with good degrees. My wife even went so far as to give all her staff a copy of the 'elements of style'. My English teacher even remarked that a number of young professionals had paid him to tutor them in English because they realised that their lack of understanding was hampering them in their careers.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Then she is the exception. In my professional life I got sick and tired of correcting bad English ..... and that was from kids with good degrees. My wife even went so far as to give all her staff a copy of the 'elements of style'. My English teacher even remarked that a number of young professionals had paid him to tutor them in English because they realised that their lack of understanding was hampering them in their careers.
was it not taught, or was it not learned? Big difference. I know the trend is to attack the education system, but you get what you put in. I'm sure that she and others in her class will still make the mistake, but it certainly has been taught! And it is corrected in my older childrens' writing. I completely agree with you that the English language is butchered in the professional world, even journalists can't seem to proofread a published article. My point is that I'm confident it was taught at some time, it's just laziness or ignorance, or plain lack of caring, not a trend at changing standards that are taught.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,088 times

Y O U ' R E Means "You Are", Y O U R Means "Your". - YouTube

Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
was it not taught, or was it not learned? Big difference. I know the trend is to attack the education system, but you get what you put in. I'm sure that she and others in her class will still make the mistake, but it certainly has been taught! And it is corrected in my older childrens' writing. I completely agree with you that the English language is butchered in the professional world, even journalists can't seem to proofread a published article. My point is that I'm confident it was taught at some time, it's just laziness or ignorance, or plain lack of caring, not a trend at changing standards that are taught.
You make a good point there.

Personally, I think that proper use of English has been thoroughly devalued by society. In a world of 'text-speak' and spell checkers, people do become lazy and that makes them question whether they 'need' proper English at all. Just look at some of the comments in the thread on writing in cursive. Many kids believe that computer and typing skills are more important than proper English. Of course, they are encouraged in this by school districts that discontinue the teaching of skills such as cursive, by adults who cannot spell or punctuate properly and who lack the skill or inclination to insist on proper English and by teachers who tolerate bad English. In my opinion, we are sleep walking into a world which is semi-literate.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM

284 posts, read 499,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I had a very pleasant chat with my former English teacher the other day (I left High School in 1973). He remarked, during the chat, that my generation was the last one to be 'taught' English grammar in the old fashioned way. What the OP is commenting on is the result of changing attitudes and standards in teaching the English language since then.
I'm not sure which "generation" you are, but all of my kidlings were taught the difference between you're and your; they're, there, and their; it's and its; etc... and they get all prescriptive about it too. Oh, the bloodshed!

I'll just leave this here: The Fight for English

Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM

214 posts, read 961,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Is that a card where you list "your invited" friends? It seems fine to me.

It's the for, when, rsvp, etc that don't make sense to me

No its an RSVP type Invite.....should read either "You Are Invited" or "You're Invited"

Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,003 times
It is so hard NOT to see these (mostly) typos everywhere....

"For breakfast eat a bowl of oatmeal, with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in it, this slows the bloodsugar abortion rate,"

Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Seen on the crawl along the bottom of the Tv screen just yesterday...a one liner about a high speed chase with the car going 100+ mph:

"...driver arrested for wreckless driving."

Do you suppose if the driver had caused a wreck he wouldn't have been arrested?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 AM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that so many people don't read books anymore. If you read, you unconsciously reinforce proper English and spelling. Video games and TV don't do that.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that so many people don't read books anymore. If you read, you unconsciously reinforce proper English and spelling. Video games and TV don't do that.
This.

I do think they not only need to read but should read quite a bit. I used to frequent the Kindle forum, a place for readers, and would see the same chewed up grammar. I often wondered, "Aren't you all readers? Why do you not know how to write correctly?"

I found out that many of them did read but many of them were reading what I call, "fluff books". (A lot of them were reading romance novels. Not a knock on romance novels but perhaps one could expand their little reading horizons.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing