Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,382,296 times

Advertisements

Today's Daily Double:
These two new threads titles just trurned up this morning in C-D forums:

Help my wife and I relocate!

If I was to move...

Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 PM

89,088 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Today's Daily Double:
These two new threads titles just trurned up this morning in C-D forums:

Help my wife and I relocate!

If I was to move...
I just saw the first one a few minutes ago.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 PM

89,088 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I used to work in a medical group where nearly all the doctors and many of the other employees were from India or Pakistan. Most of them did the "W"/"V" substitute, along with other substitutions that we quickly learned to recognize.

It could be difficult for them to call in prescriptions to the pharmacy because the pharmacist had problems understanding them.

A few of them spoke nearly perfect English, with excellent enunciation. In fact their enunciation was much better than the average American. I got into a discussion with one of them about learning English, and he told me that English was taught in every first grade class in India and Pakistan, so the words are familiar but they don't pick up the pronunciation until they move to America. He told me that he actually took English classes for several years after moving here because he was determined to speak properly. He said that many don't go to that extreme, they are satisfied with being able to speak well enough to communicate.
One of the Indians in my office was very difficult to understand when he first started working for us about ten years ago. As a matter of fact, I worked in a different department, and he was the "help desk" guy to call for a new system we were using, and no one could understand him on the phone. Now I work in the same office as he does (he's no longer a help desk guy) and his English is much better.

A couple of months ago, I hear the guy who sits next to me cursing and swearing while listen to a voicemail. He's saying "I can't understand a &^%$#@( word this guy is saying!" An hour later or so, I was in his office talking about something when the Indian guy mentioned earlier walks by and "Joe" yells "Hey, can you come here and tell me what this guy on my voicemail is saying? He has the same accent as you." Putting aside the fact that this exchange made me cringe a little inside, it was interesting because the Indian guy listened to the message (which, by the way, I could understand despite the heavy accent) and he said, "This is someone who has only recently come here from India." He went on to explain pretty much what you said above, plus that they are taught to use certain formal words that we don't use in everyday American speech, such as "Please do the needful."

Sometimes with people from India speaking English it also has to do with emphasis on the syllables. My sister is in IT, and she works with a lot of Indian people. She said she was in one meeting where the woman speaking kept using the term "NOHN-a-shoes". She couldn't figure out what "NOHN-a-shoes" were supposed to be, but then the woman handed out a draft report outlining what she had been talking about, and my sister found out the phrase was "known issues".

Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,382,296 times
From the Automotive Forum:

"When incremental weather happens, or at dusk, why do some people not turn on their headlights?"

Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,504,265 times
On another website, the below is particularly noticeable because it is about writing:

"People happy with that and adverse to long-winded writing...."

Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM

26,418 posts, read 19,292,786 times
Well, I heard some... uhhh... illogical person use it again today. Irregardless. Just writing it makes my blood pressure soar. Why the "ir-" when the "-less" already does the job? So we have a double negative which basically turns the word that I'm sure the speaker used to sound like Mr. Sophisticated into simply saying, "regarding," or, "with regard to." Which of course is just the opposite of what he meant.

I propose, since the word is already an exercise in stupidity, that we build it back to its proper meaning. I propose, "anirregardless." As pathetic as it is, at least it would retain the intended meaning. Anirregardless. All together now.

(note: yeah, I know I've mentioned this one a time or two before. But every time I hear it, old wounds are ripped open and salt is poured into them)

Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 AM

513 posts, read 742,091 times
Default In the Africa forum--

rederick for rhetoric -- in what seemed to me to be an intelligent post. Had to read it out loud to get the meaning.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM

19,229 posts, read 25,557,315 times
The last time that I took my car in for service, the invoice noted, "loner car for customer".

The dealership's car that I used while my car was being serviced seemed to be about as socially-oriented as cars usually are , and I was unable to determine whether or not it was a, "loner".

Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,504,265 times
Heard on TV this morning by a defendant on "People's Court."

"We can't do that if there's clementine weather..."

Can you visualize the little oranges raining on them?
Inclement weather does it every time.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,359,908 times
Something I often see on the forum... Just (as) a FYI.
What does "just (as) a for your information" mean? Shouldn't it just be FYI?

Last edited by Sudcaro; 02-28-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing