Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I worked for a physician who wrote this spelling, "kernel," for an Air Force "colonel." When I told her this was incorrect, she gave me a bewildered look and asked, "What's wrong with it?"
Unbelievable. That's as surprising as my co-worker w/ a PhD who insists on saying, "He felt badly."

Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
If all the people that post in this thread were to each write a book it would read like a computer did it.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 AM

513 posts, read 736,919 times
Default ^^^

An instructor in a proofreading class drummed into us in the class about using "badly," and how many people misuse that word.

Another time at my job, which included heavy proofreading, I had a major with a Masters degree challenge me because I had sent a report back for correction with the past tense of read spelled as
"r-e-d." I thought it was just a typo. I pointed this out in the dictionary and he still didn't believe me. He said "Well, the past tense of lead is l-e-d, isn't it?!" I really thought he was kidding, but no--
I finally gave up and let him send the report on to the general's secretary with the misspelling, after I made a copy.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ah, subjunctive mood!

http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/documents/Subjunctive.pdf

Either is correct, since it refers to an impossible situation. Hitler is dead now, but he was alive in the past.

Like saying, "If I were a billionaire ... "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Received a rep by someone correcting my English. How about helping me? "No one cared if I were embarrassed," is what I wrote. The correction says it should be "... if I was embarrassed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The test of when to use the subjunctive mood is whether the event is possible or not.

If you were in a situation that actually caused you embarrassment, but no one who observed it cared, you would use was, not were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm a little late finding this one.

If you said "no one cared", you're already committed to the indicative. You are saying they might have had a reason to care, but didn't, and therefore "I was embarrassed, and no one cared."

If you want to go with subjunctive, and throw the whole thing into an unreality world, then you would say "No one would have cared if I were embarrassed". Meaning you were not embarrassed, and even if you were, no one would have cared.

"If" in this case is not being used in a conditional sense, but rather as an idiomatic replacement for "that". "No one cared that I was embarrassed".
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The mention of erudite reminds me of something I was thinking of yesterday.
That is the incorrect but very common use of plural were instead of the singular was.
"If I were to do that.....", just sounds 'classier'. Or maybe snobbier is the better word
Use were if it is something you would not do (subjunctive mood) and was if you would do it (indicative mood).

If I were to ride that bull, I probably would get thrown off.

If I was to ride that old gray mare, I probably would enjoy the trail ride.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:33 PM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,485 times
Just read a post on another forum where the following two "words" were consistently used:
Gunna = gonna
Wat = what

I did not finish reading the post.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Thank you Des your to sweet...

She hit a triple!

Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
Just read a post on another forum where the following two "words" were consistently used:
Gunna = gonna
Wat = what

I did not finish reading the post.

I really hope you realize that, "gonna", is not a word, just as, "gunna", is not a word.
Truthfully, I don't see, "gunna", as being any worse a corruption of the English language than, "gonna", is.

In case you are confused by what I just stated, "gonna", is a corruption of, "going to".

Years ago, when my students used the non-word, "gonna", in their speech, I would tell them that the only, "gonna", with which I was familiar was, "gonnorhea", and that nobody wants that disease. That bit of word play did help, and most of my students ceased slaughtering the English language with, "gonna", after that little reminder.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 PM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I really hope you realize that, "gonna", is not a word, just as, "gunna", is not a word.
Truthfully, I don't see, "gunna", as being any worse a corruption of the English language than, "gonna", is.

In case you are confused by what I just stated, "gonna", is a corruption of, "going to".

Years ago, when my students used the non-word, "gonna", in their speech, I would tell them that the only, "gonna", with which I was familiar was, "gonnorhea", and that nobody wants that disease. That bit of word play did help, and most of my students ceased slaughtering the English language with, "gonna", after that little reminder.

I understand that.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:31 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
I understand that.
In that case...What was your point regarding, "gunna", as a substitute for the equally incorrect, "gonna"?

Old 10-30-2013, 05:11 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
"Gonna" is by far the more common, widespread corruption of "going to". It's in the titles of songs and movies. Google gets 279 million hits on "gonna". "Gunna" gets fewer than 9 million, and many of those are proper names. Even the spellcheck as I write this post flags "gunna" as incorrect but leaves "gonna" alone (interesting - it also flags "spellcheck").

It seems that a large portion of the English-speaking world has accepted "gonna" as correct, albeit informal. It may not suit you and others who like the old standards, but as some of your New Jersey neighbors might say, "whaddaya gonna do?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing