Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 06:42 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,476,761 times

Advertisements

"Theresa should get her hairline threaded."

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,708,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Oh, my. I don't even know what that means. I know I'll feel silly if I figure it out.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,180,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, why stop there? Why even add punctuation or bother to even attempt to spell words correctly? Wouldn't want to be a conformist now, would you?

Because it is written exactly as I intended it to be written.

Last edited by rainroosty; 11-04-2013 at 07:39 AM..

Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,180,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
Correction: ...all the people who....

"That" is used to refer to things, not people.

No...."that", in this writer's intentions, is used in reference to "people".
It seems that you did understand my intention since you refer to it.

The thought occurs to me that there must be thousands of books and song lyrics that drive you people nuts!

Its nice that there are people such as yourself that have the writing style that you do but you really should understand that not everyone has to do as you do....note my four little dots, placed here for the entertainment of the readers of this thread.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,370,555 times
Quote:
Threading is a technique used for hair removal (eyebrows, hairlines etc.), so in this usage, it is correct.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Threading is a technique used for hair removal (eyebrows, hairlines etc.), so in this usage, it is correct.
I'm so glad to know that. Thank you so much. Gives new meaning to hair removal.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 AM

19,192 posts, read 25,456,286 times
Something that continues to mystify me is when people mispronounce a word that is heard on radio & TV on a frequent basis.

Back in the late '70s, "charisma", became a word that was frequently used in conversation, and in both print and broadcast media. It was essentially a, "buzzword", for quite a few years. However, one of my co-workers--who used the word very often--consistently pronounced it as, "chair-esma".

I used to know a woman who would tell anyone willing to listen that she was, "the world's biggest fan of Barbra Streisand". However, this major fan always referred to her as, "Barbra Streiststrand". It isn't even easy to say, "Streiststrand", but somehow she managed to do it every time that she talked about her favorite performer.

In the current NYC mayoral race, the GOP candidate is Joe Lhota. While his name is not necessarily easy to pronounce, because it is heard (correctly pronounced) scores of times each day on TV & radio, it would seem that people would have a clue as to how to pronounce Lhota's name. However, on a recent call-in radio program, one of the callers treated everyone to a recitation of why he thought that Joe Lahotta is the superior candidate. He was almost rabid in his adulation for the candidate, yet he slaughtered his name.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Something that continues to mystify me is when people mispronounce a word that is heard on radio & TV on a frequent basis.

Back in the late '70s, "charisma", became a word that was frequently used in conversation, and in both print and broadcast media. It was essentially a, "buzzword", for quite a few years. However, one of my co-workers--who used the word very often--consistently pronounced it as, "chair-esma".

I used to know a woman who would tell anyone willing to listen that she was, "the world's biggest fan of Barbra Streisand". However, this major fan always referred to her as, "Barbra Streiststrand". It isn't even easy to say, "Streiststrand", but somehow she managed to do it every time that she talked about her favorite performer.

In the current NYC mayoral race, the GOP candidate is Joe Lhota. While his name is not necessarily easy to pronounce, because it is heard (correctly pronounced) scores of times each day on TV & radio, it would seem that people would have a clue as to how to pronounce Lhota's name. However, on a recent call-in radio program, one of the callers treated everyone to a recitation of why he thought that Joe Lahotta is the superior candidate. He was almost rabid in his adulation for the candidate, yet he slaughtered his name.

I wonder if there are specific reasons why a person does a certain something when they do it differently than anyone else. My mother was very specific about certain words and insisted on the pronunciation she gave to them. One of the words she was hell-bent was to be pronounced one way and one way only was wound (rhymes with hound). My dad didn't argue with her and would change after she corrected him. Later in life, I would explain to her she was mistaken. She listened and continued as before. Proper English was important to her, except not always.

Another reason for commenting,,, I remember the day of first hearing the word charisma. It was in a psychology class at Oklahoma State University. The instructor was working on his doctorate and also gave the meaning of the word. I failed to write it down. Took me a few days to track it down.

Last edited by Rubi3; 11-05-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 AM

19,192 posts, read 25,456,286 times
Quote:
I wonder if there are specific reasons why a person does a certain something when they do it differently than anyone else. My mother was very specific about certain words and insisted on the pronunciation she gave to them. One of the words she was hell-bent was to be pronounced one way and one way only was wound (rhymes with hound). My dad didn't argue with her and would change after she corrected him. Later in life, I would explain to her she was mistaken. She listened and continued as before. Proper English was important to her, except not always.
That particular mistake of your mother's is somewhat understandable, given that, "wound" (as in a physical injury), is pronounced differently from, "wound" (as in, "the watch was tightly-wound"), even though the different-sounding usages are spelled identically. Similarly, I worked with a woman who would refer to our clients who had substance abuse problems as, "drug ad-DICTs", rather than "drug ADD-icts". The spelling is identical, although the two usages are pronounced differently.

However, this type of situation does not apply to the pronunciation gaffes that I referred to earlier, and I am at a loss to explain them.

Last edited by Retriever; 11-05-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,261,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Because it is written exactly as I intended it to be written.
hokay two eech hiss owne din:;!@ anarcky rulz!!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing