Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,629,625 times

Advertisements

People in Cheyenne are proud of their heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnypGGwZr28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Clearly Jackson, WY and Teton County are the prized cow in the state hence the long list of M's and B's that live there and the high cost of living and scenic beauty. Now true, its' priced well out of most people's range but it's still a great place to live, if you can swing it.
What are M's and B's?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:24 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,308,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
What are M's and B's?
we said in Star Valley that the (B)illionaires in Jackson were chasing out the( M)illionaires

Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,411,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm just wondering, what is the consensus of the best places to live overall. I hear a lot of negatives about Rock Springs but a lot of praise for Green River, Lander, Sheridan, Powell and even some for Worland and Laramie. So how would you rank the top 10 or 15 or so cities or towns in Wyoming. All things considered which are the best towns/cities to live in. I'd rather ask the locals than some silly website like road snacks.

From an outsiders positions, all I hear is Jackson, Sheridan, Lander, Cody, Pinedale, Riverton are nice places to live and nobody wants to live in Rock Springs. Even give me cities that aren't bad but just have a bad reputation and their reputation is way overblown.

A lot of towns, but only three cities above 30,000 pop based on 2010 census.

http://eadiv.state.wy.us/pop/Place-17EST.htm

Old 07-16-2018, 05:06 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,411,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
we said in Star Valley that the (B)illionaires in Jackson were chasing out the( M)illionaires

That happened in Jackson in 1996, which is why a number of them moved to Cody

Old 07-17-2018, 12:58 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,992,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, I totally agree with Ltdumbear and the person that replied positive to his post. Sorry, don't remember the name.

Anyway, I'll probably be called the same thing Ltdumbear was called, but I can handle it. Just too many "outside" folks are moving to these Western/cowboy states and trying, and sometimes succeeding, in changing them to the "big city" where they came from.

I'll give an example:

I didn't live too far from Norco, California in So Calif.. When I first got my Permit with PRCA, I went to a Roping School there, bought my roping/horse tack supplies there, went to a Horse/Tack Auction on Saturday evenings in Mira Loma (right up the road from Norco), went to the Norco Rodeo each year and on some Sunday's went to a Jackpot Roping Arena there. Would have weekend breakfast at the Cowgirl Café. My wife loved all of this, but then again, she was a major pro-rodeo fan.

Anyway, one thing we both noticed was that more and more folks from Orange County were moving there due to low cost of houses. Unfortunately, most of these "outsiders" were bringing their "city" living with them. Norco had horse paths instead of sidewalks. The "outsiders" wanted to make ever horse path a sidewalk. Norco was a noted horse town and was even featured as such in Western Horseman Magazine. The pro-rodeo had sold-out performances and some of those "outsiders" even want to stop the rodeo. They wanted to push the horse owners out saying they hated the smell. Local dairy farms as well.

One time, while wife and I were having breakfast at the Cowgirl, we really noticed all of the body piercings and tattoos that weren't there before. Young folks wearing shorts instead of Wrangler jeans and young girls with different colors in their hair.

The people of Norco were going banana's over this, especially the "Old Timers". To this day, don't know if Norco survived this "invasion", but sure hope it did. Norco was a nice horse/Western town.

And, BTW, I've been in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma. I definitely understand why locals get mad. As long as the "outsiders" leave things alone, everything seems to be fine.
Tattoos, piercings, and shorts are a problem? I get some of the other concerns but why does this matter?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,353,515 times
I dress appropriately while 'on the clock', but when headed to town for grocery-run or just to see a movie, I am dressed for comfort (ie: incognito) because I don't feel any need to advertise what I do for a living by appearing 'Wyoming-Proper' in public (ie: 13mwz, long-sleeve shirt buttoned-up, wild-rag, conservative belt with rodeo-buckle, boots, and my sweat-stained Serratelli) sure I may retain a certain sense of pride deep-down inside, but I don't care to make it known, nor am I entirely comfortable around those who do...

...so yeah...shorts, t-shirt & 'tennis-shoes' on hot-days, when I'm headed to Wally-World.

(tats & piercings, I don't saavy the need for it, but to each his/her own I guess)

Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,308,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I dress appropriately while 'on the clock', but when headed to town for grocery-run or just to see a movie, I am dressed for comfort (ie: incognito) because I don't feel any need to advertise what I do for a living by appearing 'Wyoming-Proper' in public (ie: 13mwz, long-sleeve shirt buttoned-up, wild-rag, conservative belt with rodeo-buckle, boots, and my sweat-stained Serratelli) sure I may retain a certain sense of pride deep-down inside, but I don't care to make it known, nor am I entirely comfortable around those who do...

...so yeah...shorts, t-shirt & 'tennis-shoes' on hot-days, when I'm headed to Wally-World.

(tats & piercings, I don't saavy the need for it, but to each his/her own I guess)
yeah , I were a straw hat in the summer more then I used too , covers the ears better from the sun a base ball cap. and I wear boots, usually the low heeled Redwing Pecos . just kills me seeing spurs in town.... ok if they grabbing a quick lunch after moving some cows... but just riding or driving with them a pain...
when I drive I wear on of those Drivers cap- paper boy type hats... Kind of pisses off the cowboys and ranchers I know for some reason. Maybe it makes me look like Basque sheep header
winter time I wear a silk rag and usually a wool cap... and the step in come off , that why they are step ins... lot of sun dress up here NE Wy during the dog days....

Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,353,515 times
I never understand the mentality of 'Elite' horsemen (Nevada Buckaroo-types) who show up at brandings & such, wearing the WHITE long-sleeve shirts (ironed & starched, buttoned right to the top, wild-rag tied tight, right up to the adam's apple) to impress....who ?

...certainly not me...cuz at the end of the day, it's ME covered in blood, dust & sweat...NOT them...

...but...I guess that just goes to show how effin' GOOD they are, don't it ?

lol

Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,278,003 times
I always liked seeing piercings on a guy. If they had had them long, they were always pretty polite. If they weren't nice, they usually got that way upon the sudden loss(or merely the possibility of such) of a piercing or three. I can tell you this. A shredded ear is most generally a fight stopper....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming