Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 AM

791 posts, read 1,752,700 times

Advertisements

I was referring to this post.

Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Denver, Salt Lake City, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Bozeman, Billings, Miles City, Rapid City, and Scottsbluff. Those are all great alternatives to look into, rather than wasting any further time 'rating' towns & cities here in Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:38 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,357,925 times
Rather than dig myself a deeper hole than I am already in, I know that I should remain silent...but here I go again...

There are one or two in this forum who have a strong sense of where my initial-response came from, and how deeply I am troubled by the radical changes I have watched Wyoming go through, since the last 'Boom' cycle, which occurred roughly just before or after the 08' bubble-burst.

Suffice it to say that those two events seem to have...brought-forth a tsunami of 'urban-diaspora' into this region...a steady incoming-tide of 'fast-paced/busy-lifestyle' urban-clones which continues as we speak...and...these types of people coming here (to stay) are the exact same kind of secular/progressive/humanists (completely indifferent as to who they are stepping-over or pushing-aside, in order to get THIER way, in everything they do) which caused me to throw everything away (including my own family) in a desperate attempt to get as far AWAY from people like that, as I possibly could...and 25 yrs later...here they are...and they just keep on coming...

I know change is inevitable...but that does'nt mean I HAVE to 'like' it.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:30 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,351,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Rather than dig myself a deeper hole than I am already in, I know that I should remain silent...but here I go again...

There are one or two in this forum who have a strong sense of where my initial-response came from, and how deeply I am troubled by the radical changes I have watched Wyoming go through, since the last 'Boom' cycle, which occurred roughly just before or after the 08' bubble-burst.

Suffice it to say that those two events seem to have...brought-forth a tsunami of 'urban-diaspora' into this region...a steady incoming-tide of 'fast-paced/busy-lifestyle' urban-clones which continues as we speak...and...these types of people coming here (to stay) are the exact same kind of secular/progressive/humanists (completely indifferent as to who they are stepping-over or pushing-aside, in order to get THIER way, in everything they do) which caused me to throw everything away (including my own family) in a desperate attempt to get as far AWAY from people like that, as I possibly could...and 25 yrs later...here they are...and they just keep on coming...

I know change is inevitable...but that does'nt mean I HAVE to 'like' it.
It's obvious where you've been coming from for a long time …

but what stands out is your bias/prejudice against any and all folk who are inquiring about moving here.

With the limited opportunities for population growth here in light of the pressures for folk to move here despite your intentions, perhaps it would be better to encourage like minded people to "fill the slots"?

Ya'never know … there may actually be people wanting to move to Wyoming that you'd like to have as neighbors.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:06 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,280,963 times
I dont think he wants neighbors. That seems to be the point of his usual presentation. Which is cool by me, not that he cares. Which is also cool by me. I could live next to him, because I think we could get along quite well, as long as his expectation of it all being bad didn't overshadow what was really there. To be honest, what I love about Wyoming is probably what he loves about it. The fact that it is the 10th largest and the state with the fewest people is attractive. The beauty doesn't hurt it any, either. More people means less freedom for the individual. I like freedom. For me and for others. Some view Wyoming as the last vestige of a frontier long gone, and would like to see it remain as it was. What it was is already gone, and they fear what it is disappearing as well. How they handle it is their business.

I will be honest, Wyoming and eastern Montana are the two places on my list. I will be spending time in both places to make a final decision. If and when I move, I will be both excited and happy to get there, and entirely sorry that my arrival will change the area, even a little. Unfortunately, by immersing ourselves in what we love, we always seem to change it. Such is life. Our job is to pay attention to the surroundings, and try to make sure whatever change we bring is positive. Whether in marriage or immigration, employment or business, it all works the same. Read the cards, play the hand accordingly, and don't be the jerk at the table. Easier said than done.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,357,925 times
What he said ^ is what I should've said.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:43 AM

9,046 posts, read 20,466,779 times
Well, I totally agree with Ltdumbear and the person that replied positive to his post. Sorry, don't remember the name.

Anyway, I'll probably be called the same thing Ltdumbear was called, but I can handle it. Just too many "outside" folks are moving to these Western/cowboy states and trying, and sometimes succeeding, in changing them to the "big city" where they came from.

I'll give an example:

I didn't live too far from Norco, California in So Calif.. When I first got my Permit with PRCA, I went to a Roping School there, bought my roping/horse tack supplies there, went to a Horse/Tack Auction on Saturday evenings in Mira Loma (right up the road from Norco), went to the Norco Rodeo each year and on some Sunday's went to a Jackpot Roping Arena there. Would have weekend breakfast at the Cowgirl Café. My wife loved all of this, but then again, she was a major pro-rodeo fan.

Anyway, one thing we both noticed was that more and more folks from Orange County were moving there due to low cost of houses. Unfortunately, most of these "outsiders" were bringing their "city" living with them. Norco had horse paths instead of sidewalks. The "outsiders" wanted to make ever horse path a sidewalk. Norco was a noted horse town and was even featured as such in Western Horseman Magazine. The pro-rodeo had sold-out performances and some of those "outsiders" even want to stop the rodeo. They wanted to push the horse owners out saying they hated the smell. Local dairy farms as well.

One time, while wife and I were having breakfast at the Cowgirl, we really noticed all of the body piercings and tattoos that weren't there before. Young folks wearing shorts instead of Wrangler jeans and young girls with different colors in their hair.

The people of Norco were going banana's over this, especially the "Old Timers". To this day, don't know if Norco survived this "invasion", but sure hope it did. Norco was a nice horse/Western town.

And, BTW, I've been in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma. I definitely understand why locals get mad. As long as the "outsiders" leave things alone, everything seems to be fine.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, I totally agree with Ltdumbear and the person that replied positive to his post. Sorry, don't remember the name.

Anyway, I'll probably be called the same thing Ltdumbear was called, but I can handle it. Just too many "outside" folks are moving to these Western/cowboy states and trying, and sometimes succeeding, in changing them to the "big city" where they came from.

OK, let's look at what was has been said and what you now claim to support:

Essentially, you're saying that whoever is here already should "close the door on anybody" who wants to move here. Be the last one to the party, because ANY newcomer is going to spoil what's here, if for no other reason than the fact they moved here. Bought up more land and diminished the amount of open spaces, created more crowding of people using the outdoor recreation resources, spoiled the serenity of the wide open spaces ranchland, etc.

Moreover, you've made that prejudicial bias of yours without any real knowledge of the people inquiring about moving here.

In fact, YOU"VE MADE YOUR ARGUMENT AS TO WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO MOVE HERE, TOO.

Even though you describe yourself as a true "cowboy" type who appreciates wide open spaces and horses and all the trappings … YOUR PRESENCE HERE IS UNWELCOMED BY THE VERY FACT YOU'RE ONE MORE FAMILY MOVING HERE and you've made the case that more folk shouldn't be allowed to move here.

So, LoveBoating … I'll support your argument as to why folk shouldn't be allowed to move to Wyoming. As an established Wyoming rancher/farmer/businessman, I hereby dis-invite you to move here.

See how this works? You and the fellow you're supporting don't get to be the arbiters of who is an appropriate new resident of Wyoming. Scram, you're not welcome here (sarc). Have a nice day, enjoy your return to Colorado (where your line of thinking has been welcomed since the mid-1960's starting in Boulder with their limitations on building permits and anti-equine/farming/ranching restrictive zoning that totally changed the character of the place … and made it into a "mini-Jackson" type enclave). Be very careful of what you wish for, sir.

Yes, I agree … in a "perfect" world, it would be nicer if nobody but like minded thinkers of the traditional Wyoming lifestyles would even think about moving here. But unless you're going down the path of Agenda 21 and plan on turning all of Wyoming into a recreational paradise for the exclusive use of the anointed few, there's a problem with requiring an entrance exam that meets your (and Lt DBear's) criteria. And from what I can read from his posts, everybody will fail LtDB's test because anybody moving here is one more person in the state.

From a functional standpoint, Wyoming has done a pretty good job of turning out those who don't "fit in". In the decades I've been here, I've seen a lot of that "gone in two" phenomenon. Weather, clime, long winters, low access to entertainment/medical/shopping/restaurants … and a host of other limiting factors … have consistently weeded out those who aren't willing or able to adjust to what most of Wyoming offers.

PS: we don't have to get into calling you any names other than "unwelcome" by your own standards.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-13-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OK, let's look at what was has been said and what you now claim to support:

Essentially, you're saying that whoever is here already should "close the door on anybody" who wants to move here. Be the last one to the party, because ANY newcomer is going to spoil what's here, if for no other reason than the fact they moved here. Bought up more land and diminished the amount of open spaces, created more crowding of people using the outdoor recreation resources, spoiled the serenity of the wide open spaces ranchland, etc.

Moreover, you've made that prejudicial bias of yours without any real knowledge of the people inquiring about moving here.

In fact, YOU"VE MADE YOUR ARGUMENT AS TO WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO MOVE HERE, TOO.

Even though you describe yourself as a true "cowboy" type who appreciates wide open spaces and horses and all the trappings … YOUR PRESENCE HERE IS UNWELCOMED BY THE VERY FACT YOU'RE ONE MORE FAMILY MOVING HERE and you've made the case that more folk shouldn't be allowed to move here.

So, LoveBoating … I'll support your argument as to why folk shouldn't be allowed to move to Wyoming. I hereby dis-invite you to move here.

See how this works? You and the fellow you're supporting don't get to be the arbiters of who is an appropriate new resident of Wyoming. Scram, you're not welcome here (sarc). Have a nice day, enjoy your return to Colorado (where your line of thinking has been welcomed since the mid-1960's starting in Boulder with their limitations on building permits and anti-equine/farming/ranching restrictive zoning that totally changed the character of the place … and made it into a "mini-Jackson" type enclave).
You shouldn’t get so upset! Not good for the heart.

I NEVER-EVER said nobody should move to Wyoming, just those that want to change things and have that “Los Angeles” or “New York City” look about them. Wyoming has always been about cowboys, rodeo, ranching, Yellowstone NP, not arms, legs and faces full of tats and/or body piercings. Same goes for Idaho, Montana, the Daykota’s and some other cowboy-Western states.

When I lived in Orange County, Calif. I was teased because of wearing Western clothes at times. I was actually told straight out, “You really don’t belong in Orange County” So, what did I do? Shortly after I married, wife and I moved to Colorado, where I was totally accepted wearing Western clothes, as was my wife. We went to CFD rodeo as well as one in Laramie. We lolled like we already lived there, not visiting.

I’m an old farm boy and wife, well she loves Western clothes, wearing her Wrangler cowboy hat or a baseball cap.

We aren’t racist or anything like that. We love Motown music, Earth-Wind and Fire band and Kool and the Gang music as well as Classic Rock and Country. The Help, Jumping the Broom and The Shack are among favorite movies. Octavia Spencer, Morgan Freeman to us are excellent actors. And, we LOVE Mexican food and margaritas! Need I say anymore?

We won’t be outsiders, however we are here, because we don’t like it here anymore. Wyoming is a great state, as long as people don’t try and change it to New York City, Los Angeles or Chicago.

Another thing anyone should always remember, NOT everyone in the U.S. likes diversity or too much of it.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 07-13-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You shouldn’t get so upset! Not good for the heart.

I NEVER-EVER said nobody should move to Wyoming, just those that want to change things and have that “Los Angeles” or “New York City” look about them. Wyoming has always been about cowboys, rodeo, ranching, Yellowstone NP, not arms, legs and faces full of tats and/or body piercings. Same goes for Idaho, Montana, the Daykota’s and some other cowboy-Western states.

When I lived in Orange County, Calif. I was teased because of wearing Western clothes at times. I was actually told straight out, “You really don’t belong in Orange County” So, what did I do? Shortly after I married, wife and I moved to Colorado, where I was totally accepted wearing Western clothes, as was my wife. We went to CFD rodeo as well as one in Laramie. We lolled like we already lived there, not visiting.

I’m an old farm boy and wife, well she loves Western clothes, wearing her Wrangler cowboy hat or a baseball cap.

We aren’t racist or anything like that. We love Motown music, Earth-Wind and Fire band and Kool and the Gang music as well as Classic Rock and Country. The Help, Jumping the Broom and The Shack are among favorite movies. Octavia Spencer, Morgan Freeman to us are excellent actors. Need I say anymore!

We won’t be outsiders, however we are here, because we don’t like it here anymore. Wyoming is a great state, as long as people don’t try and change it to New York City, Los Angeles or Chicago.
No upset here. This is an open forum and we're having a discussion.

Just following the line of thinking that you have supported here on the thread and exposing the fallacies that follow.

LtDB has made it clear that NOBODY is welcome to move here because even one more person destroys what has been and is here for LtDB.

You joined the thread to state your support for that oft-repeated position.

I accept your statements at face value. I assume you're an adult and understand what you've posted here. You can post all day and night long about how you're "so special" as a true cowboy at heart with Wyoming compatible behaviors but you've completely missed what you've supported. LtDb doesn't want anybody to move here, period.

You support that, which is the reasoning that doesn't lead to your position that you're exempt from what you're supporting. You don't get to be the arbiter of who is "good people" to move here when you've supported the position that NOBODY SHOULD MOVE HERE. You don't get to be the gatekeeper, you don't get to set the standards, pard. You don't get to exempt yourself from your own bigotry.

So again, I invite you to follow your reasoning. You're not welcome here, cowboy, by your own logic. Wanting to leave Florida isn't justification for you moving to Wyoming. Don't move here, don't encroach upon what's left of the quiet enjoyment of Wyoming by LtDB, OK?

PS: hey, I can jump on the LtDB bandwagon, too. If you don't move here, that's two less people to crowd me out at my favorite fishing holes, or ride on the trails that I ride on, or build another house on the prairie that obscures my open space view of solitude and serenity, or contribute another vehicle in the traffic to town, take up a parking spot at the grocery store, etc.. Wow, I can see all kinds of advantages to you moving to Colorado instead of Wyoming. My thanks in advance to you for not moving here, I appreciate it so very much … and LtDB will no doubt thank you, too for helping the effort to keep Wyoming the same as it's been for so long. And you won't have to worry about your Western clothes being ridiculed in Colorado, you'll fit right in there … along with your "last one in the door" attitude.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-13-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 10:30 AM

Sorry, sunsprit. Apparently I didn’t read his reply good enough. I semi-support his feelings then. Actually, he is one of the members that told me that wife and I would have no problem moving to Cheyenne, if we chose there to move to.

Hummm, you don’t have a city or state, where you live, displayed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming