Goshen-Shady Grove, Alabama
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||40.1 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 36079
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $18,455 (it was $13,779 in 2000)
Goshen-Shady Grove CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $99,946 (it was $51,600 in 2000)
Races in Goshen-Shady Grove, AL (2000)
- 1,61871.0%White alone
- 58825.8%Black alone
- 241.1%American Indian alone
- 140.6%Two or more races
- 10.04%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Gender inequality today (or when higher earnings do not necessarily mean you do less laundry at home) Aug 23
- Professional services jobs are soaring, making it the fastest-growing industry Aug 21
- Internetification today Aug 19
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 132.3 square miles.
Population density: 17 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Goshen-Shady Grove:
- High school or higher: 70.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Goshen-Shady Grove CCD:
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 61.9%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 6.9%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Goshen-Shady Grove CCD:||0.4% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Montgomery, AL (39.0 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (569.5 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Petrey, AL (2.6 miles) , Goshen, AL (2.6 miles ), Troy, AL (2.8 miles ), Henderson-Spring Hill, AL (3.2 miles ), Glenwood, AL (3.4 miles) , Needmore, AL (3.4 miles ), Luverne, AL (3.5 miles ), Petrey-Highland Home, AL (3.7 miles ).
Latitude: 31.82 N, Longitude: 86.10 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 334
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Food (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Health care (10%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Food (7%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Pharmacies and drug stores (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (3%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (4%)
Average climate in Goshen-Shady Grove, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Goshen-Shady Grove-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 42% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/1969, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 30.6 miles away from the Goshen-Shady Grove place center killed 2 people and injured 14 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 12/19/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.8 miles away from the place center injured one person and caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Goshen-Shady Grove-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 83% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 84.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 128.8 miles away from Goshen-Shady Grove center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 187.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 386.5 miles away from the city center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 121.7 miles away from Goshen-Shady Grove center
On 6/24/1975 at 11:11:36, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 165.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Pike County (13) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 6, Floods: 5, Hurricanes: 5, Tornadoes: 4, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Goshen-Shady Grove:
- LIGHTHOUSE HOSPICE OF ALABAMA, LLC (Hospital, about 8 miles away; TROY, AL)
- TROY HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; TROY, AL)
- FMC TROY (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; TROY, AL)
- PIKE COUNTY HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; TROY, AL)
- LUVERNE HEALTH AND REHABILITATION, LLC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; LUVERNE, AL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Goshen-Shady Grove:
- Troy University (about 9 miles; Troy, AL; Full-time enrollment: 16,148)
- Auburn University at Montgomery (about 39 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 4,092)
- Enterprise State Community College (about 40 miles; Enterprise, AL; FT enrollment: 2,101)
- Alabama State University (about 40 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 5,457)
- Faulkner University (about 40 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 2,887)
- Tuskegee University (about 49 miles; Tuskegee, AL; FT enrollment: 2,810)
- George C Wallace State Community College-Dothan (about 52 miles; Dothan, AL; FT enrollment: 3,611)
Notable locations in Goshen-Shady Grove: Oak Bowery (A), Hales Chapel (B), Elam-Rodgers (C), Rural Home (D), Goshen Volunteer Fire Department (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Goshen-Shady Grove include: Rockwell Church (A), Rockelvin Church (B), Mount Moriah Church (C), Old Lebanon Church (D), Oak Bowery Church of Christ (E), Pine Grove Church (F), Pine Hill Church (G), Springfield Church (H), Hales Chapel (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Sims Cemetery (1), Wingard Cemetery (2), Head Cemetery (3), Israel Cemetery (4), Jordan Cemetery (5), Mount Moriah Cemetery (6), Stephens Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Shellhorn Pond (A), Brooks Farm Lake (B), Russell Pond (C), Sanders Lake (D), Menefee Lake (E), Youngblood Lake (F), Carters Pond (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Surveyors Branch (A), Robertson Branch (B), Pearson Branch (C), Olustee Creek (D), Old Gin Branch (E), Mill Creek (F), Messick Branch (G), Little Patsaliga Creek (H), Little Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2005 was 27.6. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 23.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.3 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2007 was 0.230. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 7.2 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Goshen-Shady Grove CCD (based on Pike County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Pike County:||2.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pike County:||0.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pike County:||5.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
7.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,193 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Montgomery County, AL||0.62% ($24,645 average AGI)|
|from Houston County, AL||0.51% ($21,235)|
|from Coffee County, AL||0.47% ($26,809)|
7.46% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,220 average adjusted gross income)
0.12% of residents moved to foreign countries ($640 average AGI)
Pike County: 0.12% Alabama average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Goshen-Shady Grove:
- WTBF (970 AM; 5 kW; TROY, AL; Owner: TROY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WMSP (740 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WQLS (1200 AM; 10 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WACV (1170 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: MONTGOMERY BROADCAST PROPERTIES, LTD)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WLWI (1440 AM; 5 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
- WOOF (560 AM; 5 kW; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Goshen-Shady Grove:
- WQLD (104.3 FM; LUVERNE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZHT (105.7 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WAXU (91.1 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WTSU (89.9 FM; MONTGOMERY-TROY, AL; Owner: TROY STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WTBF-FM (94.7 FM; BRUNDIDGE, AL; Owner: TROY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAOQ (100.3 FM; BRANTLEY, AL; Owner: ALATRON CORPORATION, INC.)
- WLWI-FM (92.3 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKMX (106.7 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: WKMX, INC.)
- WAPR (88.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: UA-ASU-TSU EDUCATIONAL RADIO CORP.)
- WBAM-FM (98.9 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: DEEP SOUTH BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHHY-FM (101.9 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WZTZ (101.1 FM; ELBA, AL; Owner: ELBA RADIO COMPANY)
- WMXS (103.3 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMCZ (97.1 FM; MILLBROOK, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQKS-FM (96.1 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: MONTGOMERY BROADCAST PROPERTIES, LTD)
- WKXN (95.9 FM; GREENVILLE, AL; Owner: AUTAUGAVILLE RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Goshen-Shady Grove:
- WRJM-TV (Channel 67; TROY, AL; Owner: JOSIE PARK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSFA (Channel 12; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WCOV-TV (Channel 20; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: WOODS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WDIQ (Channel 2; DOZIER, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WNCF (Channel 32; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CHANNEL 32 MONTGOMERY LLC)
- WAKA (Channel 8; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALABAMA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WMCF-TV (Channel 45; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (51%)
- Electricity (42%)
- Wood (5%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Goshen-Shady Grove compared to Alabama state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.