|Median resident age:||38.3 years|
|Missouri median age:||33.9 years|
Zip codes: 64772.
Nevada city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $66,720 (it was $57,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $575.
- White alone - 7,550 (92.9%)
- Hispanic - 220 (2.7%)
- Two or more races - 129 (1.6%)
- Black alone - 82 (1.0%)
- Asian alone - 85 (1.0%)
- American Indian alone - 50 (0.6%)
|Nevada, MO (43 replies)|
|Missouri Outlaw History (203 replies)|
|Is Springfield, Mo really that racist? (155 replies)|
|Branson is slowly dying!!! (183 replies)|
|Missouri senator rolls out new tax overhaul proposal (63 replies)|
|KC local slang and jargon (83 replies)|
Latest news from Nevada, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (22.0%), United States (18.0%), Irish (15.6%), English (10.2%), Italian (3.2%), Scottish (1.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1880
Elevation: 880 feet
Land area: 8.93 square miles.
Population density: 927 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Nevada:
- High school or higher: 80.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Nevada city:
- Never married: 30.7%
- Now married: 37.3%
- Separated: 4.1%
- Widowed: 12.6%
- Divorced: 15.4%
30 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 48 registered sex offenders living in Nevada, Missouri as of July 07, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Nevada to the number of sex offenders is 170 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $749 (1.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $583 (0.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Springfield, MO (73.7 miles , pop. 151,580).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (86.1 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (374.7 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Milo, MO (2.6 miles) , Moundville, MO (2.7 miles) , Walker, MO (2.8 miles ), Deerfield, MO (2.9 miles) , Metz, MO (3.4 miles) , Bronaugh, MO (3.4 miles ), Richards, MO (3.5 miles) , Sheldon, MO (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 17 buildings, average cost: $62,600
- 1998: 22 buildings, average cost: $54,500
- 1999: 16 buildings, average cost: $87,900
- 2000: 15 buildings, average cost: $87,900
- 2001: 16 buildings, average cost: $87,900
- 2002: 12 buildings, average cost: $87,300
- 2003: 13 buildings, average cost: $73,400
- 2004: 12 buildings, average cost: $92,500
- 2006: 18 buildings, average cost: $88,100
- 2007: 10 buildings, average cost: $99,800
- 2008: 8 buildings, average cost: $79,600
- 2009: 9 buildings, average cost: $78,700
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $63,000
- 2011: 10 buildings, average cost: $120,400
- 2012: 8 buildings, average cost: $70,400
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.84 N, Longitude: 94.36 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +3,849 (+47.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,765 (85.4%)
Area code: 417
|Crime rates in Nevada by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||357.5||357.7||396.2||454.6||388.6||579.8||440.8||374.8||472.3||469.3||510.3||620.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Nevada detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.40|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -218 (-2.5%).
- Retail trade (21%)
- Health care and social assistance (15%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (37%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Finance and insurance (12%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (4%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (3%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in Nevada, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Nevada-area historical tornado activity is near Missouri state average. It is 62% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/2003, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.4 miles away from the Nevada city center killed 4 people and injured 30 people and caused $20 million in damages.
On 5/17/1995, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.3 miles away from the city center injured 9 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Nevada-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 264.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 268.6 miles away from Nevada center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 270.3 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 218.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 219.9 miles away from Nevada center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 354.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Vernon County (18) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 11, Floods: 10, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 4, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John Huston - (1906-1987), film director, Ralph Eberhart - General, Sue Thompson - Country singer, Harry J. Lloyd - Businessman, Eva Bowring - Politician, Patricia Breckenridge - Politician, Virginia Dehn - Painter.
Hospitals and medical centers in Nevada:
- HEARTLAND BEHAVORIAL HEALTH SERVICES (1500 WEST ASHLAND)
- NEVADA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (Government - Local, 800 S ASH ST)
- NEVADA STATE HOSPITAL (ASH STREET AT HIGHLAND)
- NEVADA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER HOME HEALTH AGENCY (800 SOUTH ASH)
- CHRISTIAN HEALTH AND REHABILITATION OF NEVADA (700 EAST HIGHLAND AVENUE)
- MEDICALODGES NEVADA (1210 WEST ASHLAND)
- MOORE-FEW CARE CENTER (901 SOUTH ADAMS)
- PAUL L AND MARTHA BARONE CARE CENTER (2102 NORTH ASH STREET)
Airports and heliports located in Nevada:
- Nevada Municipal Airport (Runways: 2, Air Taxi Ops: 50, Itinerant Ops: 1,404, Local Ops: 1,080, Military Ops: 50)
- Camp Clark Ahp Heliport
- Nevada Regional Medical Center Heliport
Colleges/Universities in Nevada:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Nevada:
- Pittsburg State University (about 37 miles; Pittsburg, KS; Full-time enrollment: 6,838)
- Missouri Southern State University (about 52 miles; Joplin, MO; FT enrollment: 4,456)
- Southwest Baptist University (about 55 miles; Bolivar, MO; FT enrollment: 2,783)
- Allen County Community College (about 58 miles; Iola, KS; FT enrollment: 2,089)
- Crowder College (about 72 miles; Neosho, MO; FT enrollment: 3,675)
- University of Central Missouri (about 72 miles; Warrensburg, MO; FT enrollment: 9,952)
- Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College (about 73 miles; Miami, OK; FT enrollment: 2,075)
Public high schools in Nevada:
Public elementary/middle schools in Nevada:
- Truman Elementary School (Students: 588; Location: 901 W Ashland; Grades: 3-5)
- Nevada Middle School (Students: 578; Location: 900 N Olive St; Grades: 6-8)
- Bryan Elementary School (Students: 473; Location: 400 W Lee St; Grades: PK-1)
- Benton Elementary School (Students: 180; Location: 500 E Vernon St; Grades: 2)
Private elementary/middle schools in Nevada:
Notable locations in Nevada: Nevada Country Club (A), Nevada Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Nevada include: First Christian Church (A), United Methodist Church (B), First Baptist Church (C), Heritage Baptist Church (D), Countryside Assembly of God Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Deepwood Cemetery (1), Nevada State Hospital Cemetery (2), Newton Cemetery (3), Callaway Cemetery (4), Mount Calvary Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Katy Allen Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Willow Branch (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Nevada include: Marmaduke Park (1), George Lyons Park (2), Walton Park (3), Centennial Park (4), Radio Springs Park (5), Spring Street Park (6), Postlethwaite Park (7), Twin Lakes Park (8). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Bushwhacker - Museum (212 West Walnut Street), Bushwhacker - Jail (Museums; 231 North Main Street).
Hotels: Days Inn Nevada MO (2345 East Marvel Road), Country Inn-Suites Nevada (2520 East Austin), Comfort Inn (2345 E Marvel Rd), Econo Lodge Nevada (1401 East Austin Boulevard), Best Western Rambler Motel (1401 East Austin Boulevard), Country Inn & Suites by Carlson-Nevada (2520 East Austin Boulevard).
Courts: Vernon - County - Bridge Department- Custodian- Highway Barn- Courthouse- Bridge Depart (200 North Colorado), Vernon - County - Courthouse- Custodian (Court House Custodia), Vernon County - Custodian- Clerk's Ofc (Courthouse), Vernon County - Court House- Jail- Custodian (230 West Cherry Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 90.3. This is worse than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2002 was 1.49. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 20.4 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 40.9. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 10.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.4 miles away from the city center.
(25.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Black residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 29.3% for American Indian residents, 24.1% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Nevada in 2010:
- 286 people in college/university student housing
- 263 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 105 people in residential treatment centers for adults
- 95 people in residential treatment centers for juveniles (non-correctional)
- 48 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 22 people in group homes for juveniles (non-correctional)
- 10 people in other noninstitutional facilities
- 7 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Nevada in 2000:
- 337 people in nursing homes
- 251 people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus)
- 152 people in schools, hospitals, or wards for the mentally retarded
- 123 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards
- 35 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 12 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 5 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Nevada compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Banks with branches in Nevada (2011 data):
- Metz Banking Company: at 123 North Osage Boulevard, branch established on 1906/09/14. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $64.2 mil, Deposits: $57.5 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices
- Bank of America, National Association: Nevada Branch at 401 E. Austin Branch, branch established on 1869/06/19. Info updated 2009/11/18: Bank assets: $1,451,969.3 mil, Deposits: $1,077,176.8 mil, headquarters in Charlotte, NC, positive income, 5782 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of America Corporation
- Great Southern Bank: Nevada Branch at 201 East Cherry Street, branch established on 1928/01/02. Info updated 2012/02/03: Bank assets: $3,788.7 mil, Deposits: $2,986.3 mil, headquarters in Reeds Spring, MO, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 109 total offices, Holding Company: Great Southern Bancorp, Inc.
- The First National Bank of Nevada, Missouri: The First National Bank Of Nevada, Missouri at 100 W. Walnut St, branch established on 1889/01/01. Info updated 2010/06/01: Bank assets: $88.9 mil, Deposits: $76.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices, Holding Company: 1889 Bancshares, Inc.
- Heritage State Bank: at 1625 Hedges Plaza, branch established on 1911/06/11. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $117.1 mil, Deposits: $93.5 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Shelbank Corporation
- U.S. Bank National Association: Nevada Branch at 200 East Cherry, branch established on 1997/11/14. Info updated 2012/01/30: Bank assets: $330,470.8 mil, Deposits: $236,091.5 mil, headquarters in Cincinnati, OH, positive income, 3121 total offices, Holding Company: U.S. Bancorp
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Nevada, Missouri:
- Super 8 Motel, PO Box 529, Nevada, MO 64772 , Phone: (417) 667-8880, Fax: (417) 667-8883
- Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, 2345 E Marvel Rd, Nevada, MO 64772 , Phone: (417) 667-6777, Fax: (417) 667-6135
- Country Inn & Suites By Carlson - Nevada, Mo, 2520 E Austin, Nevada, MO 64772 , Phone: (417) 667-9292, Fax: (417) 667-2186
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (58%)
- Electricity (38%)
- Wood (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Nevada city (based on Vernon County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 48.89%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Church of the Nazarene|
|Name||LDS (Mormon) Church||Assemblies of God||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Vernon County:||1.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vernon County:||5.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||6||$27,861||$55,722||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||5||$19,063||$45,751||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||19||$64,379||$40,660||0||$0|
|Police - Other||2||$4,362||$26,172||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||5||$14,256||$34,214||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||7||$20,017||$34,315||14||$7,003|
|Other and Unallocable||5||$11,683||$28,039||1||$1,010|
|Totals for Government||387||$1,388,493||$43,054||71||$102,905|
5.40% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,192 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cedar County, MO||0.54% ($25,711 average AGI)|
|from Bourbon County, KS||0.40% ($28,179)|
|from Bates County, MO||0.30% ($19,476)|
6.20% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,977 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Nevada:
- KNEM (1240 AM; 1 kW; NEVADA, MO; Owner: HARBIT COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KKOW (860 AM; 10 kW; PITTSBURG, KS; Owner: AMERICAN MEDIA INVESTMENTS)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KGGF (690 AM; 10 kW; COFFEYVILLE, KS; Owner: KGGF-KUSN, INC.)
- WMBH (1560 AM; 10 kW; JOPLIN, MO)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KKLL (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WEBB CITY, MO; Owner: NEW LIFE EVANGELISTIC CENTER, INC.)
- KBTN (1420 AM; 10 kW; NEOSHO, MO; Owner: PETRACOM OF JOPLIN, L.L.C.)
- KOCR (1310 AM; 5 kW; JOPLIN, MO; Owner: OZARK CHRISTIAN COLLEGE)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KCSP (610 AM; 5 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: ENTERCOM KANSAS CITY LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Nevada:
- K206CH (89.1 FM; NEVADA, MO; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KNMO-FM (97.5 FM; NEVADA, MO; Owner: HARBIT COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KVCY (104.7 FM; FORT SCOTT, KS; Owner: VCY AMERICA, INC.)
- KOMB (103.9 FM; FORT SCOTT, KS; Owner: FORT SCOTT BROADCCASTING CO., INC.)
- KBZI (100.7 FM; DEERFIELD, MO; Owner: AMERICAN MEDIA INVESTMENTS INC)
- KRPS (89.9 FM; PITTSBURG, KS; Owner: PITTSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY)
- KKOW-FM (96.9 FM; PITTSBURG, KS; Owner: AMERICAN MEDIA INVESTMENTS, INC.)
- KESM-FM (105.5 FM; EL DORADO SPRINGS, MO; Owner: WILDWOOD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Nevada:
- KOAM-TV (Channel 7; PITTSBURG, KS; Owner: SAGA QUAD STATES COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 28
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 37
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 6
- Fatalities: 33
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 62
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 1
- Fatal accident count: 107
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 164
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 36
- Fatalities: 117
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 270
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 13
Total length: 92 meters (302ft)
Total costs: $231,000
Total average daily traffic: 58,357
Total average daily truck traffic: 13,088
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1920-1929: 1
- 1930-1939: 0
- 1940-1949: 1
- 1950-1959: 0
- 1960-1969: 10
- 1970-1979: 0
- 1980-1989: 1
- 1990-1999: 2
- 2000-2009: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 92 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 28 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Nevada, MO)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 44 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Nevada)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 15 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Nevada)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 93
- Hazardous Condition: 78
- Service Call: 46
- Good Intent Call: 14
Incident types - Nevada
|Most common first names in Nevada, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Nevada, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Nevada, MO|
|Dairy Queen||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|H&R Block||1||Taco Bell||1|
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2015.