Tawas City, Michigan
Tawas City: Bird on the white rail over tawas bay!
Tawas City: Tawas Point Lighthouse
Tawas City: Tawas Point Lighthouse
Tawas City: East Branch Au Gres River
Tawas City: A cool bird - literally - in freezing cold Lake Huron
Tawas City: Sunset nears over a frozen Lake Huron in Tawas.
Tawas City: The Off-Season: A gorgeous frozen beach in Tawas.
Tawas City: A beautiful day on the Tawas Bay
Tawas City: Lake Huron as seen from the city of Tawas
Tawas City: View of the bay from Tawas Point Lighthouse
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||48.9 years|
|Michigan median age:||39.7 years|
Zip codes: 48763.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $20,800 (it was $16,061 in 2000)
Tawas City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $83,466 (it was $69,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $123,889; Detached houses: $128,524; Townhouses or other attached units: $185,383; In 2-unit structures: $58,202; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $112,504; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $129,892; Mobile homes: $39,298; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $74,693
Median gross rent in 2015: $699.
Races in Tawas City, MI (2015)
- 1,72991.4%White alone
- 623.3%Two or more races
- 462.4%Black alone
- 160.8%Asian alone
- 90.5%American Indian alone
|Where Would You Buy a MI Lake Cottage Today? (99 replies)|
|Top city's in MI (36 replies)|
|Good Retirement Towns in Michigan? (10 replies)|
|Your thoughts retirement city (4 replies)|
|Would you move from Michigan right now? (286 replies)|
|Where to buy property in the thumb? (5 replies)|
Latest news from Tawas City, MI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (23.7%), American (12.0%), Irish (9.8%), English (8.1%), Polish (7.2%), French Canadian (4.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 587 feet
Land area: 1.71 square miles.
Population density: 1,050 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Tawas City:
- High school or higher: 90.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 9.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tawas City city:
- Never married: 26.0%
- Now married: 46.4%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 11.7%
- Divorced: 14.4%
50 residents are foreign born (1.1% Europe, 0.5% Latin America).
According to our research of Michigan and other state lists there were 20 registered sex offenders living in Tawas City, Michigan as of October 22, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Tawas City to the number of sex offenders is 90 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,278 (1.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $1,358 (1.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Saginaw, MI (62.5 miles , pop. 61,799).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Detroit, MI (131.9 miles , pop. 951,270).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (269.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: East Tawas, MI (1.4 miles ), Au Sable, MI (3.7 miles ), Oscoda, MI (3.7 miles ), Whittemore, MI (3.8 miles ), Turner, MI (4.0 miles) , Au Gres, MI (4.2 miles ), Twining, MI (4.2 miles) , Prescott, MI (4.6 miles ).
Latitude: 44.27 N, Longitude: 83.52 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 989
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (25%)
- Construction (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (8%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (41%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Production occupations (24%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Community and social service occupations (3%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (24%)
- Healthcare support occupations (16%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Personal care and service occupations (8%)
- Production occupations (8%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
Average climate in Tawas City, Michigan
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Tawas City-area historical tornado activity is below Michigan state average. It is 48% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/30/1976, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 20.3 miles away from the Tawas City city center killed one person and injured 7 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 3/27/1991, a category F3 tornado 22.6 miles away from the city center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Tawas City-area historical earthquake activity is near Michigan state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 249.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 219.9 miles away from Tawas City center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 211.6 miles away from the city center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 261.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1994 at 21:23:06, a magnitude 3.5 (3.4 LG, 3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 115.4 miles away from Tawas City center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 420.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Iosco County (7) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Tawas City:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tawas City:
- Delta College (about 55 miles; University Center, MI; Full-time enrollment: 7,480)
- Saginaw Valley State University (about 55 miles; University Center, MI; FT enrollment: 9,021)
- Northwood University-Michigan (about 59 miles; Midland, MI; FT enrollment: 2,763)
- Mid Michigan Community College (about 66 miles; Harrison, MI; FT enrollment: 3,653)
- Central Michigan University (about 79 miles; Mount Pleasant, MI; FT enrollment: 22,758)
- Mott Community College (about 87 miles; Flint, MI; FT enrollment: 7,394)
- University of Michigan-Flint (about 87 miles; Flint, MI; FT enrollment: 6,284)
Public high schools in Tawas City:
Public elementary/middle schools in Tawas City:
Private elementary/middle school in Tawas City:
Notable locations in Tawas City: Tawas City Station (A), Iosco County Courthouse (B), Iosco County Sheriff's Office (C), Tawas City Hall (D), Tawas City Library (E), Tawas City Fire Department (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Tawas City include: Tawas United Methodist Church (A), Emanuel Lutheran Church (B), Community of Christ Church (C), Tawas Seventh Day Adventist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery (1), Immaculate Heart of Mary's Catholic Cemetery (2), Memory Gardens Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Cold Creek (A), Dead Creek (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Iosco County Government - Historical Society (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 405 West Bay East).
Hotels: Dale Motel (1086 West Lake Street), Bayview Resort (1047 Bay Drive), Captian's Quarters (1115 West Lake Street), Crow's Nest Inn (1028 West Lake Street).
(12.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 71.4% for Black residents, 69.2% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 27.5% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
People in group quarters in Tawas City in 2010:
- 142 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 70 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 10 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers
People in group quarters in Tawas City in 2000:
- 212 people in nursing homes
- 45 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 10 people in other group homes
Banks with branches in Tawas City (2011 data):
- Huron Community Bank: Tawas City Branch at 410 Lake Street, branch established on 1961/04/07. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $180.9 mil, Deposits: $145.1 mil, headquarters in East Tawas, MI, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Huron Community Financial Services, Inc.
- Independent Bank: Tawas Branch at 17 East M-55, branch established on 1985/12/04. Info updated 2010/10/20: Bank assets: $2,304.7 mil, Deposits: $2,092.2 mil, headquarters in Ionia, MI, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 107 total offices, Holding Company: Independent Bank Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tawas City city (based on Iosco County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Iosco County:||3.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Michigan:||2.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iosco County:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Michigan:||1.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iosco County:||4.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.80 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Tawas City, MI Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$14,499||$57,996||0||$0|
|Fire - Other||0||$0||1||$1,000|
|Streets and Highways||1||$1,869||$22,428||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$1,030||$12,360||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$5,679||$68,148||1||$492|
|Totals for Government||10||$35,908||$43,090||3||$2,953|
Tawas City government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Construction - Regular Highways: $258,000 ($143.89)
Water Utilities: $28,000 ($15.62)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $528,000 ($294.48)
Water Utilities: $264,000 ($147.24)
Sewerage: $131,000 ($73.06)
Local Fire Protection: $112,000 ($62.47)
Central Staff Services: $89,000 ($49.64)
Parks and Recreation: $81,000 ($45.18)
Financial Administration: $75,000 ($41.83)
Solid Waste Management: $60,000 ($33.46)
General - Other: $52,000 ($29.00)
Electric Utilities: $36,000 ($20.08)
General Public Buildings: $32,000 ($17.85)
Libraries: $32,000 ($17.85)
- General - Interest on Debt: $927,000 ($517.01)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Police Protection: $240,000 ($133.85)
Sewerage: $199,000 ($110.99)
Solid Waste Management: $139,000 ($77.52)
- Intergovernmental to State - Regular Highways: $107,000 ($59.68)
- Other Capital Outlay - Local Fire Protection: $304,000 ($169.55)
Sewerage: $60,000 ($33.46)
Water Utilities: $56,000 ($31.23)
Parks and Recreation: $20,000 ($11.15)
General - Other: $19,000 ($10.60)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $450,000 ($250.98)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $50,000 ($27.89)
Tawas City government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $500,000 ($278.86)
All Other: $268,000 ($149.47)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $218,000 ($121.58)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $62,000 ($34.58)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $1,128,000 ($629.11)
Rents: $69,000 ($38.48)
General Revenue, NEC: $21,000 ($11.71)
Donations From Private Sources: $20,000 ($11.15)
Sale of Property: $9,000 ($5.02)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $525,000 ($292.81)
- State Intergovernmental - General Local Government Support: $200,000 ($111.54)
Highways: $190,000 ($105.97)
All Other: $4,000 ($2.23)
- Tax - Property: $1,179,000 ($657.56)
Tawas City government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Public Debt for Private Purpose: $22,680,000 ($12649.19)
Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $21,895,000 ($12211.38)
Retired Nonguaranteed - Public Debt for Private Purpose: $785,000 ($437.81)
Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $483,000 ($269.38)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $411,000 ($229.22)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $72,000 ($40.16)
Tawas City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $6,178,000 ($3445.62)
- Sinking Funds - Cash and Securities: $22,019,000 ($12280.54)
5.42% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,682 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Alcona County, MI||0.39% ($21,325 average AGI)|
|from Wayne County, MI||0.39% ($38,000)|
|from Genesee County, MI||0.37% ($33,684)|
5.94% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,156 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tawas City:
- WIOS (1480 AM; 1 kW; TAWAS CITY-EAST TAWA, MI; Owner: CARROLL ENTERPRISES, INC)
- WOAP (1080 AM; 50 kW; OWOSSO, MI)
- WTCM (580 AM; 35 kW; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Owner: WTCM RADIO, INC.)
- WLDR (1210 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KINGSLEY, MI; Owner: FORT BEND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWJ (950 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WJR (760 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WXYT (1270 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF DETROIT)
- WFDF (910 AM; 50 kW; FLINT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WDFN (1130 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCHB (1200 AM; 50 kW; TAYLOR, MI; Owner: RADIO ONE OF DETROIT, LLC)
- WSGW (790 AM; 5 kW; SAGINAW, MI; Owner: NM LICENSING LLC)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WKNR (850 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tawas City:
- WHST (106.1 FM; TAWAS CITY, MI; Owner: NORTHERN CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC.)
- WKJC (104.7 FM; TAWAS CITY, MI; Owner: CARROLL ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WCLS (100.7 FM; OSCODA, MI; Owner: NORTHERN RADIO NETWORK CORPORATION)
- WQLB (103.3 FM; TAWAS CITY, MI; Owner: CARROLL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCMB-FM (95.7 FM; OSCODA, MI; Owner: CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY)
- WHNN (96.1 FM; BAY CITY, MI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WATZ-FM (99.3 FM; ALPENA, MI; Owner: WATZ RADIO, INC.)
- WJOJ (89.7 FM; HARRISVILLE, MI; Owner: NORTHLAND COMMUNITY BROADCASTERS)
TV broadcast stations around Tawas City:
- WBKB-TV (Channel 11; ALPENA, MI; Owner: THUNDER BAY BROADCASTING CORPORATION.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- $32,000Total costs
- 14,717Total average daily traffic
- 326Total average daily truck traffic
- 22,549Total future (year 2018) average daily traffic
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tawas City and their reported violations in the past:SPORTSMANS BAR (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 7 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tawas City that have no violations reported:
- BALDWIN TOWNSHIP (Population served: 670, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- TAWAS RV PARK (Population served: 100, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- ALABASTER TOWNSHIP (Population served: 86, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- TAWAS CREEK GOLF COURSE (Population served: 75, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- NORTHERN BEAR PAW RV PARK (Population served: 50, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- VANDERVEEN HOSPICE ANGELIC CARE (Population served: 50, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- TAWAS AREA ELKS #2525 (Population served: 40, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- HEMLOCK ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH (Population served: 35, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- IOSCO COUNTY ROAD COMMISSION (Population served: 27, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- SHADY OAKS CAMPGROUND (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 21
- Hazardous Condition: 30
- Good Intent Call: 3
Incident types - Tawas City
|Most common first names in Tawas City, MI among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Tawas City, MI among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (89%)
- Electricity (6%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Wood (2%)
|Businesses in Tawas City, MI|
Tawas City compared to Michigan state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Tawas City on our top lists:
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in nursing homes (population 1,000+)"
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2007-2013"
- #92 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest ground withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2017.