Woodhull, New York
Woodhull: Sign for the Town of Woodhull, New York on State Route 417
Woodhull: The bridge entering the town from State Route 417
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||37.4 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 14898.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,628 (it was $13,674 in 2000)
Woodhull town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $77,359 (it was $53,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $117,615; Detached houses: $122,396; Townhouses or other attached units: $240,428; In 2-unit structures: $85,594; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $90,366; In 5-or-more-unit structures: over $1,000,000; Mobile homes: $47,840; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $91,600
Races in Woodhull, NY (2010)
- 1,67997.7%White alone
- 50.3%Black alone
- 60.3%Asian alone
- 30.2%American Indian alone
- 40.2%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Online travel agencies generate most of their revenue in the United States Oct 25
- In Which States are Businesses Most Dependent on International Demand? Oct 22
- The most comfortable places to live in the U.S. Oct 21
- Fast food industry is an enduring American value Oct 19
- A look at the numbers: diabetes in the U.S. Oct 17
|Paranormal Witness : The Long Island Terror (97 replies)|
|2 NYPD officers shot and killed execution-style in Brooklyn (274 replies)|
|Poor Elderly Will Need Government Subsidies (86 replies)|
|Port Jefferson village in the '60's (105 replies)|
|Cancer and HHC Hospitals - If your life depended on it (33 replies)|
|What Is Jamaica Queens Like? (58 replies)|
Latest news from Woodhull, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (14.6%), German (12.4%), English (12.1%), Irish (8.2%), Dutch (6.5%), French (3.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 55.4 square miles.
Population density: 31 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Woodhull:
- High school or higher: 77.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 8.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Woodhull town:
- Never married: 24.3%
- Now married: 58.5%
- Separated: 4.1%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 7.5%
11 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Woodhull town:||1.1% ($565)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Union, NY (70.3 miles , pop. 56,298).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rochester, NY (77.0 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (184.7 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Rathbone, NY (2.4 miles ), Elkland borough, PA (2.6 miles ), Tuscarora, NY (2.6 miles ), Knoxville borough, PA (2.8 miles ), Troupsburg, NY (2.9 miles ), Addison, NY (2.9 miles ), Jasper, NY (3.0 miles ), Cameron, NY (3.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $40,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $67,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $67,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $67,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $67,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $67,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $67,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.06 N, Longitude: 77.39 W
Area code: 607
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (14%)
- Construction (13%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (8%)
- Food (6%)
- Machinery (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Health care (19%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (4%)
- Plastics and rubber products (4%)
- Personal and laundry services (3%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
Average climate in Woodhull, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Woodhull-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 62% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/21/2003, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 29.5 miles away from the Woodhull town center caused $200,000 in damages.
On 8/30/1955, a category F3 tornado 30.3 miles away from the town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Woodhull-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 160.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 202.0 miles away from Woodhull center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 196.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 249.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 139.1 miles away from Woodhull center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 175.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Steuben County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 10, Floods: 8, Blizzard: 1, Flash Flood: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Woodhull:
- Corning Community College (about 17 miles; Corning, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,036)
- Alfred University (about 25 miles; Alfred, NY; FT enrollment: 2,411)
- Mansfield University of Pennsylvania (about 25 miles; Mansfield, PA; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred (about 25 miles; Alfred, NY; FT enrollment: 3,483)
- Ithaca College (about 53 miles; Ithaca, NY; FT enrollment: 6,781)
- Cornell University (about 54 miles; Ithaca, NY; FT enrollment: 20,360)
- SUNY College at Geneseo (about 56 miles; Geneseo, NY; FT enrollment: 5,520)
Notable location: Woodhull Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Woodhull include: Woodhull Baptist Church (A), Grace Bible Fellowship (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Red Cemetery (1), Hedgesville Cemetery (2), Woodhull Cemetery (3), Elk Creek Cemetery (4), Norway Ridge Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: South Branch Tuscarora Creek (A), East Lick Creek (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 50.3. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2013 was 0.143. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 9.4 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2011 was 2.25. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 9.4 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.388. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 9.4 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 29.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 5.77. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 9.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.8 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Banks with branches in Woodhull (2011 data):
- Community Bank, National Association: Woodhull Branch at 1608 Main Street, branch established on 1966/08/01. Info updated 2011/06/13: Bank assets: $6,460.6 mil, Deposits: $4,840.4 mil, headquarters in Canton, NY, positive income, 175 total offices, Holding Company: Community Bank System, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Woodhull town (based on Steuben County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Steuben County:||2.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Steuben County:||0.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Steuben County:||4.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.72% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,536 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
0.05% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,299 average AGI)
Steuben County: 0.05% New York average: 0.08%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Chemung County, NY||0.66% ($42,923 average AGI)|
|from Allegany County, NY||0.27% ($29,059)|
|from Monroe County, NY||0.27% ($38,250)|
5.01% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($38,645 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
0.06% of residents moved to foreign countries ($532 average AGI)
Steuben County: 0.06% New York average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Woodhull:
- WABH (1380 AM; 10 kW; BATH, NY)
- WHHO (1320 AM; 5 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WLNL (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; HORSEHEADS, NY; Owner: LIGHTHOUSE MEDIA, INC.)
- WWLZ (820 AM; 4 kW; HORSEHEADS, NY; Owner: CHEMUNG COUNTY RADIO, INC.)
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WLEA (1480 AM; 3 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WELM (1410 AM; 5 kW; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LIMITED)
- WEHH (1590 AM; 5 kW; ELMIRA HTS/HORSEHEAD, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WATS (960 AM; 5 kW; SAYRE, PA; Owner: WATS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCBA (1350 AM; 1 kW; CORNING, NY)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Woodhull:
- WGMM (97.7 FM; BIG FLATS, NY; Owner: EOLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMTT (94.7 FM; TIOGA, PA; Owner: EUROPA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCBA-FM (98.7 FM; CORNING, NY; Owner: EOLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNBQ (92.3 FM; MANSFIELD, PA; Owner: FARM & HOME BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WZKZ (101.9 FM; ALFRED, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WCIK (103.1 FM; BATH, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WNKI (106.1 FM; CORNING, NY; Owner: CHEMUNG COUNTY RADIO, INC.)
- WSQA (88.7 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL)
- WKPQ (105.3 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WSQE (91.1 FM; CORNING, NY; Owner: WSKG PUB. TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL)
- WVIN-FM (98.3 FM; BATH, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES MASS MEDIA, NA CORP.)
- WCKR (92.1 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WDKC (101.5 FM; COVINGTON, PA; Owner: MID-ATLANTIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- WOKN (99.5 FM; SOUTHPORT, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WLVY (94.3 FM; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WHGL-FM (100.3 FM; CANTON, PA; Owner: CANTROAIR COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WENY-FM (92.7 FM; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: EOLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDNY-FM (93.9 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MILLER MEDIA INC.)
- W236AK (95.1 FM; CORNING, NY; Owner: EUROPA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJQZ (103.5 FM; WELLSVILLE, NY; Owner: DBM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Woodhull:
- WETM-TV (Channel 18; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: SMITH TELEVISION OF NEW YORK LICENSE HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WYDC (Channel 48; CORNING, NY; Owner: WYDC, INC.)
- WENY-TV (Channel 36; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: LILLY BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- W60AD (Channel 60; SAVONA, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL)
- W26BF (Channel 26; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: WYDC, INC.)
- W16BE (Channel 16; HORNELL, NY; Owner: WYDC, INC.)
- W20BL (Channel 20; BATH, NY; Owner: WYDC, INC.)
Woodhull fatal accident list:
May 6, 2005 08:15 PM, Cr-101, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 6, Fatalities: 2, Drunken persons involved: 2
Oct 30, 2005 08:12 PM, Sr-417, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 8, Fatalities: 1
Aug 30, 2000 02:28 AM, Cr-101, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 16Number of bridges
- 28m92ftTotal length
- $8,763,000Total costs
- 11,965Total average daily traffic
- 1,650Total average daily truck traffic
- 16,320Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:4
- Jerri L Janju, 5516 Freeland Road (Lat: 42.087722 Lon: -77.388639), Type: 79.3, Overall height: 76.2 m, Registrant: 7707971070, Network.Regulatory@verizonwireless.Com, 1120 SANCTUARY PKWY #150 GASA5REG
- Stephanie I Jones, 5516 Freeland Road (Lat: 42.087722 Lon: -77.388639), Type: 79.3, Overall height: 76.2 m, Registrant: 7707971070, Network.Regulatory@verizonwireless.Com, 1120 SANCTUARY PKWY #150 GASA5REG
- Regulatory Manager, 5516 Freeland Road (Lat: 42.087722 Lon: -77.388639), Type: 79.3, Structure height: 36101 m, Overall height: 76.2 m, Registrant: 7707971070, Network.Regulatory@verizonwireless.Com, 1120 SANCTUARY PKWY, #150 GASA5REG
- Allen Road (Lat: 42.062778 Lon: -77.401389), Type: 22.9, Overall height: 22.9 m, Registrant: 4122830925, Pgentile@agoc.Com, ONE ARMSTRONG PLACE
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1
- Mead Rd (Lat: 42.059806 Lon: -77.368028), Type: Tower, Structure height: 23 m, Call Sign: WNXM287
Assigned Frequencies: 157.740 MHzGrant Date: 10/11/2006, Expiration Date: 10/03/2016Registrant: Mobiletech Communications, 2365 Fire Hall Rd, Canandaigua, NY 14424, Phone: (585) 394-1482, Fax: (585) 396-2388, Email:
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Woodhull Fire Station Main St (Lat: 42.071750 Lon: -77.410528), Call Sign: KNGW231
Assigned Frequencies: 46.4000 MHzGrant Date: 03/24/1998, Expiration Date: 06/17/2003, Cancellation Date: 09/07/2003Registrant: Steuben County Fire Service, 3 E Pulteney Sq, Bath, NY 14810, Phone: (607) 776-9631
- Steuben Cr 99 2 Mi S (Lat: 42.049528 Lon: -77.413583), Call Sign: KEG690
Assigned Frequencies: 48.7000 MHzGrant Date: 01/28/2014, Expiration Date: 02/14/2024Registrant: Cng Transmission Corporation, 5th Floor, Richmond, VA 23261, Phone: (804) 775-5177, Fax: (804) 771-6570, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- Woodhull, Mead Road / Harder Road (Lat: 42.062306 Lon: -77.360722), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 48.8 m, Call Sign: WQWK253, Licensee ID: L00906434
Assigned Frequencies: 11055.0 MHz, 11095.0 MHzGrant Date: 09/18/2015, Expiration Date: 09/18/2025, Certifier: Dan EnglishRegistrant: Plexicomm, LLC, Binghamton, NY 13902, Phone: (866) 759-4678, Fax: (866) 852-4688, Email:
- WOODHULL, 1.3 Mi. Sse Of Woodhull (Lat: 42.062556 Lon: -77.401639), Overall height: 22.9 m, Call Sign: WBB250, Licensee ID: L00064284
Assigned Frequencies: 2162.00 MHz, 2171.60 MHzGrant Date: 02/13/2001, Expiration Date: 02/01/2011, Cancellation Date: 03/04/2010Registrant: Armstrong Telephone Company, 136 East Front St,, Addison, NY 14801
- Woodhull, 2 Mi S Of (Lat: 42.049500 Lon: -77.414972), Type: Building, Structure height: 6.7 m, Call Sign: WBH509
Assigned Frequencies: 6605.00 MHz, 6635.00 MHzGrant Date: 07/10/2009, Expiration Date: 08/01/2019Registrant: Cng Transmission Corporation, 5th Floor, Richmond, VA 23261, Phone: (804) 775-5177, Fax: (804) 771-6570, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KA2GOB, Grant Date: 01/22/1996, Expiration Date: 01/22/2006, Cancellation Date: 01/23/2008, Registrant: Charles R Grant, Woodhull, NY 14898
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Woodhull, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Woodhull, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (29%)
- Utility gas (25%)
- Wood (22%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (12%)
- Coal or coke (8%)
- Electricity (3%)
Woodhull compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Total of 4 patent applications in 2008-2016.