Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

This is a strange story about what can happen when a child is not told he was adopted. Imagine if thids mother had never "found the right time" to tell this boy he was adopted and he missed the opportunity to know his own brother. Very sad.

'So happy I had a brother': Boys meet as friends, discover they are siblings - TODAYMoms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM

393 posts, read 598,744 times
I will never understand in today's world why a parent would not tell - there is so much available on the subject - books on how to tell - websites on how to tell - adoption message boards.

It really is pretty simple - you put it in your conversation from day one - "I'm so glad we adopted you" to your baby or something like that. That way when your baby is old enough to actually understand what you are saying and ask questions - your fears and uncomfortable feelings are gone...and your child is able to ask questions without feeling negative vibes from you.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
wow, especially if his siblings were in the same town and would attend the same high school. Why in the world would you not tell him?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Can't understand why anyone would not tell their child that they were adopted. Amazing that this still goes on.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,307,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Can't understand why anyone would not tell their child that they were adopted. Amazing that this still goes on.
Good to see we can agree on something, Warren

Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
My son is 26 years old has DS. I have always talked about his being adopted in his presence. I know he gets it to some degree as Stewart Little and another movie where a boy is adopted is a favorite of his. BUT, I don't think his siblings know about him at all. His birth sister (10 months older), freely uses the word "retarded" to describe, well as a common adjective in her writings on the internet so hopefully she isn't aware. Another sibling was born several years later and lives with the birthmother, the birth sister's custody was taken by the birthfather (issues with birthmother, serious). So, I do wonder if the birth mother will tell the siblings or not. I would surely want to know of any family members that I might have. The birth mother would have the option of contacting us through the agency but has not done that.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM

142 posts, read 252,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
wow, especially if his siblings were in the same town and would attend the same high school. Why in the world would you not tell him?
Because some adoptive parents believe that the adoptive child is solely their child and the life that they lived before being adopted no longer exists. Therefore, the child has no other mother, and no other father, and certainly, no other siblings. The bloodline is not important, only adoption is important. And the adoptive parents are the center of the adopteeā€™s life.

I've been reading some of these threads and it appears to me that some adoptive parents on here have this belief, especially adoptive parents of foreign-born adoptees who will have no chance at all of ever meeting that other woman, or whatever derogatory word was used.

Hmm, wow, imagine what it would be like if you were in your 40s and never knew you were adopted and then your adoptive parents died and you found adoption papers after they were dead? Wonder how that would feel?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
It's actually so much more than telling a child he's adopted. Telling a child that it is okay to want to know about the other parents or that there may be other brothers or sisters and that an adoptive parent is supportive. Perhaps even initiating search and reunion. Just a thought.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Hmm, wow, imagine what it would be like if you were in your 40s and never knew you were adopted and then your adoptive parents died and you found adoption papers after they were dead? Wonder how that would feel? [/quote]

Well - since you're talking hypotheticals..

It would feel pretty much like.. "hmm. Weird. Okay." and then you'd go on with your life.

or apparently you'd totally fall apart and never trust anything anyone says to you ever again because your whole life was a total lie...

opinions seem to differ on this topic.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Hmm, wow, imagine what it would be like if you were in your 40s and never knew you were adopted and then your adoptive parents died and you found adoption papers after they were dead? Wonder how that would feel?

Well - since you're talking hypotheticals..

It would feel pretty much like.. "hmm. Weird. Okay." and then you'd go on with your life.

or apparently you'd totally fall apart and never trust anything anyone says to you ever again because your whole life was a total lie...

opinions seem to differ on this topic.[/quote]

I know several adults that this happened to, and they were very upset. One of my cousins, they oldest of his siblings, found out at age 47 that his father was not his father. He was devesatated that his parents lied to him. He even told his younger sibs that he's not their older brother.

And a friend of mine found out in his late 40s that he was adopted, nver knew before, and now he is on a search for his birth parents. He's pretty devasted, too.

Why are you so flippant?

This stuff happens more than you'd like to admit. And the story here about two young boys tells that they are happy to be reunited in childhood. That's because they are children, but when this happens in adulthood, to realize your whole life has been a lie, can be very hard to accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption