Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in South Africa?
Yes 50 26.18%
No 141 73.82%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:15 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Rio has a very bad reputation for crime.
I don't think that previous statement was made to say that Brazil was safe.

I think the intention was to say that crime is so bad in South Africa, that South Africans fly to equally notorious Brazil, and actually feel safer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Absolutely no.. not worth it. It's a very beautiful country, and that's about it. I have no intrest whatsoever in investing a single penny in a country where i can legally be discriminated against just based on the color of my skin. The justice system seems to be a complete joke, no wonder crime is so high.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Wouldn't it depend a little bit on where in South Africa and under what circumstances?

South Africa seems to be a huge country in both size and population, and it has several notable cities. My guess is that there are probably parts of South Africa that aren't so terribly crime ridden and race relations not so strained. In other words, a pretty nice place to live.

I understand on average it's far more violent and crime-ridden, but with something so large, there are bound to be a good chunk of nice places.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,664 times
Live- No

Visit- Yes.

Some of the cities look nice.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 AM

155 posts, read 148,979 times
I live in South Africa but my three children and three stepchildren all live overseas. Unfortunately South Africa is going down the same dismal route as most other African countries after they got independence.

The demographics illustrate the ridiculous situation - 5 million individual taxpayers, 12 million people in the workforce, 22 million voters and 50 million people! Cynically the 17 million voters who vote in the government are the ones that don't pay tax. Therefore to stay in power the government has a vested interest to use the money paid by the 5 million taxpayers to keep the 17 million keep voting for them!

The country is rife with corruption at every level from national to local town government. Security is a major concern for most people and also the level of vicious crime. I live in a small coastal town but in a secure complex surrounded by electric fences and warning beams!

However the weather is great as are the golf courses, sporting facilities and game parks. It is well worth a holiday visit but I think that there are many other far more attractive 3rd World countries to live.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wouldn't it depend a little bit on where in South Africa and under what circumstances?

South Africa seems to be a huge country in both size and population, and it has several notable cities. My guess is that there are probably parts of South Africa that aren't so terribly crime ridden and race relations not so strained. In other words, a pretty nice place to live.

I understand on average it's far more violent and crime-ridden, but with something so large, there are bound to be a good chunk of nice places.
Well truth be told.. big cities amd mid-sized cities aside, i really would not be super excited about running a farm in said country either.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Anyway I dont really want to live and not that keen to visit South Africa. It has also the worlds highest Aids rates. The goverment was also responsible for the rising Aids crisis and not doing enough to combact it and now its too late.

The ANC has failed to live to the expections of the people as its not just the crime is the problem but the unemployment and curruption.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,461 times
Most people in the USA don't realize that the US is a much better place to live than most places in the world, mostly because of all the freedoms. Some countries in Europe are great places to live though.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 PM

7 posts, read 17,482 times
my white friend lives in nelspruit. weather is like death valley. rain does not bring comfort, they turn into steam !

job is scarce, he complain of too much affirmative action, corruption, everything is expensive, cars, homes etc... he's a good man, he adopts few black kids.

still struggling, difficult life. just lost his home. there are no jobs !

Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 AM

230 posts, read 905,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Most people in the USA don't realize that the US is a much better place to live than most places in the world, mostly because of all the freedoms. Some countries in Europe are great places to live though.
I would say most people in the USA think the USA is the best place to live. This board is not filled with your average person, me included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa