Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in South Africa?
Yes 50 26.18%
No 141 73.82%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:56 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times

Advertisements

No way considering the country has the worlds highest HIV rate and among the highest crime rates. Heard enough horror stories from South Africans as well. I woud consider visiting there esp Cape Town as its safer and one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 04:48 AM

38 posts, read 118,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
No way considering the country has the worlds highest HIV rate and among the highest crime rates. Heard enough horror stories from South Africans as well. I woud consider visiting there esp Cape Town as its safer and one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
I'd agree I'd choose CT over Jo'burg to live (and visit) but Cape Town is significantly the more dangerous city if you're African or coloured. Jo'burg's bad areas are mashed together with the nice ones and it also has a horrible CBD.

Overall, Cape Town, shockingly, has outmurdered Jo'burg every year in the 2000's. Look at the murder rate for Cape Town in the second link I gave, it's murder rate in 2007 was 50% higher than Jhb!

Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,677 times
Even if you're super rich there what kind of life is it to live? You have to live behind fortified walls at all times and to go out you pretty much need armoured cars. I remember reading how they've developed some sort of flame thrower attachment there that can be attached to cars to ward off car jackers.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:00 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
I want to move to Cape Town one day.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
Default The Planet

What planet do you live on? Have you ever been to or lived in SA?Try Nigeria or some other parts of West Africa.Try Mexico City,Venezuela etc.I could go on and on.I get fed up of listening to people bleating on about SA,there are many many worse places to be in,believe me.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 AM

31 posts, read 70,501 times
Born and bred in Johannesburg. Although I love my country and I miss my family terribly, I cannot go back. I do visit "home" at least 2-3 times a year but I cannot see myself living in such fear because of the crime anymore. The lifestyle is great and there are many opportunities if you are a person of "colour". Overall its a beautiful country with lovely climate year round. Its multicultural and diverse. I don't find it racist anymore... I remember once in the early 80's my sister and I wandered off the "indian" beachfront to the "white" beachfront and were told that we should not be there. I remember seeing park benches marked "whites only"... lol. Thats all gone now but you just don't walk alone on the beachfront or in the park anymore. Ironic isn't it? When I do feel homesick I go back and then realise why I left in the first place. If nothing is done about the crime then it looks to go down the same route as Zimbabwe. Oh and with ANC Youth League president Malema and his strange antics, it all looks like its going further downhill now unfortunately.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:38 PM

126 posts, read 252,759 times
^^ just stay wherever you are, and never go back. Nobody will miss you.
Jeez why do we have to be so pessimists? And plz can we south africans stop bashing our own country for once? It only makes things worse.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa79 View Post
What planet do you live on? Have you ever been to or lived in SA?Try Nigeria or some other parts of West Africa.Try Mexico City,Venezuela etc.I could go on and on.I get fed up of listening to people bleating on about SA,there are many many worse places to be in,believe me.
Don't get insulted but I would rather live in Venezuela or Mexico City than in SA. Between Juarez Mexico and SA, maybe SA.

I think people are just saying how the feel. I get a lot of crap too for sometimes bashing my own country(Colombia) but I won't let my own nationalism blind me.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
I refuse to live anywhere that there are animals big enough to kill and eat me. This includes Alaska, India and SW Asia.

I have nothing against Africa, in fact, I appreciate and respect their culture very much, but those pesky lions are just not something I want to have to deal with *ever*.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 PM

31 posts, read 70,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
^^ just stay wherever you are, and never go back. Nobody will miss you.
Jeez why do we have to be so pessimists? And plz can we south africans stop bashing our own country for once? It only makes things worse.
I used to be the first to defend my country at some point and yes everyone misses me. Whenever I go back I just don't have enough time to meet all my family and friends. I do love it and I will always be African by heart. But its just not going in the right direction.

Have you kept in touch with whats happening right now? When was the last time you walked in the streets of your city? Do you know the reality of living there day in day out in fear that you might just get hijacked at the next red robot? Or get burgled while sleeping? Do you know that people now put security gates in the bedroom doors since they target you while in your home so that its easier for them to torture you to get your valuables? Do you know that everyone has changed their lifestyles to daylight hours only? Do you know that rocks are thrown from bridges on oncoming cars so as to get you to stop and then they can hijack you? Do you know that they target ladies at home during the day using any tactic that they can to get into homes and then rob them? Do you know that they get into offices posing as AC repairmen so that they can steal from bags. Its just beyond ridiculous to live like that!

And really, how does being vocal about the reality makes things worse? If our dancing president with 4 (or is it 6?) wives can take some sort of action against the crime and corruption then things will get better! It would be the perfect country in the world if only there was no crime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa