Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times

Advertisements

I think one of the main things that keeps many people from overseas from visiting Kenya who would like to is concerns about personal safety, since it is a far off place they know they understand little about. What would be your three main suggestions to visitors from abroad coming to visit the cities of Kenya who had such worries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
What do Kenyans think of Ethiopians?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think one of the main things that keeps many people from overseas from visiting Kenya who would like to is concerns about personal safety, since it is a far off place they know they understand little about. What would be your three main suggestions to visitors from abroad coming to visit the cities of Kenya who had such worries?
Yeah i'm worried about the mosquito's and just bugs in general.... i hate bugs.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 PM

30 posts, read 43,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Those places sound great but I have read that Al-Shabaab has influence in Mombassa and Zanzibar I would be concerned about being kidnapped. Do you think those are valid concerns based on your first hand knowledge of Kenya? Are there areas that should be avoided?
Unfortunately the nature of a terrorist attack is such that you cannot predict and in this case the threat is real, but the government has for the most part been successful in containing the threat. We have vigilant searches at entrances of public places, police are deployed at several places, in short, you're pretty safe.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Can everyone in Kenya run forever?
I can't run. I betray my nation.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Keep your limbs within your vehicle,
Dress in a simple manner, no gold or diamonds
Stick to busy routes and never alone. You cannot go to a slum (ghetto setting) alone and complain your dslr was snatched from you.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Have you heard about Mori River Jazz band? This was in the 1970s.
Are they still playing?
Never heard of them. Sorry not a Jazz person.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
What do Kenyans think of Ethiopians?
Cannot generalize but I like injira

Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yeah i'm worried about the mosquito's and just bugs in general.... i hate bugs.
We have bug sprays and mosquito nets. My aunt usually comes with this bug deterrent wristband. I hate bugs too.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 PM

277 posts, read 380,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumranbi View Post
Safari is the swahili word for journey. So yes we use it quite often.
Didn't know that. Thanks

So obviously you speak English but how widely spoken is it in Kenya? For people visiting would they have any issues getting around? Or for the most part can everyone speak English?

EDIT: Bonus personal question Do you ever feel like the world generalises too much with the term "Africa" and "Africans".

Example, when people say there is Ebola in Africa but they almost seem like they're referring to the whole of Africa (as a unit). Or when I see pictures from foreigners in a rural place in South Africa and say "This is Africa!", almost as if they've collectively lumped every African country together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa