Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 03:42 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times

Advertisements

I'm a current college student and i'm really interested in doing study abroad in Johannesburg, but I keep hearing that it's really dangerous and has a high murder rate. Is this just propaganda or is it true? Is the crime all over the city or just in certain areas? Is it safe to walk and use public transit there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 05:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Are you asking South Africa or Johannesburg? The latter certainly has a problem of epic proportions with crime. Of course there are areas away from Downtown where crime is contained, if not under complete control.

I do not spend more time than necessary in Jo'burg, so others may be able to give you more on that, but usually stay in Cape Town. One of my favourite cities, but of course, even there one needs to be street wise and definitely take precautions at night in terms of personal safety.

Is there any chance you could exchange study in Jo'burg for Cape Town? What ever you decide, South Africa, is a truly great country to pass time. It especially down south, attracts large numbers of foreign tourists and is interesting besides having an edge.

Just don't under estimate the need for awareness around personal safety and all should fine along with a very interesting life experience.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:10 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Are you asking South Africa or Johannesburg? The latter certainly has a problem of epic proportions with crime. Of course there are areas away from Downtown where crime is contained, if not under complete control.

I do not spend more time than necessary in Jo'burg, so others may be able to give you more on that, but usually stay in Cape Town. One of my favourite cities, but of course, even there one needs to be street wise and definitely take precautions at night in terms of personal safety.

Is there any chance you could exchange study in Jo'burg for Cape Town? What ever you decide, South Africa, is a truly great country to pass time. It especially down south, attracts large numbers of foreign tourists and is interesting besides having an edge.

Just don't under estimate the need for awareness around personal safety and all should fine along with a very interesting life experience.
Johannesburg specifically, and I've always wanted to stay if Africa for a while and I figured South Africa would be the easiest. I'm not a complete stranger to crime as a come from a poor area in the US but I heard places in South Africa were on another level. I considered Cape Town, but I heard Jo'burg has more to do.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:48 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Johannesburg specifically, and I've always wanted to stay if Africa for a while and I figured South Africa would be the easiest. I'm not a complete stranger to crime as a come from a poor area in the US but I heard places in South Africa were on another level. I considered Cape Town, but I heard Jo'burg has more to do.
Plenty to do in Cape Town. Plus a very pleasant buzz. I cannot answer that there is more to do in Jo'burg, but I am aware there are indeed certain exciting inner city developments in the form of art and music and some edgy cutting art stuff happening.
Probably too 'edgy' for me although a big fan usually of an edgy urban vibe and non main stream stuff. You will have to connect directly with a Jo'burg forum to find word from the street there how it is all panning out at the present time. A lot depends on your interests, possibly your race may play a factor, as race continues to be a factor in RSA.

I hope you can unravel the info you are seeking. Enjoy RSA if you get there. Great place. Stay safe.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 AM

277 posts, read 381,223 times
I grew up in Johannesburg and studied at the University of Johannesburg. Then lived in Cape Town for the last 2.5 years. So if you've got any questions, feel free to ask

In terms of if it's really that "bad".

Yes and no.

Living in the suburbs is fine. The areas where the universities start to get close to the city and aren't the greatest areas. I wouldn't really want to live that side. Most people who went there were from Joburg and tend to still live with their parents out in the suburbs (about 10-15km away from the universities). Then you get the people who stay in res on campus and then the students who stay in the area. Public transport sucks and wouldn't rely on it. The only decent piece is the Gautrain,

Basically Joburg's high crime rate sits in the city centre and in the townships. The closer you go to these areas, the more likely you'll experience crime.

When you say you hear there's more to do in Joburg, what is it that you're looking to do?

Joburg is your typical city environment. People are there for their careers, not for quality of life. The suburbs can be nice for families and there are lots of places to go and eat and drink.

Cape Town has a much cleaner city that's possible to live and walk around in. Public transport (MyCiti buses) that seem to work and you have much easier access to a range of activities on the mountain, beach or forest. Personally if you gave me the choice I'd choose Cape Town every time.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:37 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
I'm a current college student and i'm really interested in doing study abroad in Johannesburg, but I keep hearing that it's really dangerous and has a high murder rate. Is this just propaganda or is it true? Is the crime all over the city or just in certain areas? Is it safe to walk and use public transit there?
Would that be Wits (University of the Witswatersrand)?

Old 07-08-2018, 03:57 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Joburg is your typical city environment. People are there for their careers, not for quality of life. The suburbs can be nice for families and there are lots of places to go and eat and drink.
Interesting description. So when you say the above, is that the way things are portrayed in SA still? That city life is for work and then you get out to the suburbs as soon as you can?

In the US things have shifted a bit...city centers have been experiencing a resurgence, attracting more and more young people, empty nesters (older people whose children have moved out) and wealthier residents. The young people/millenials are staying in the city centers later into their lives and although suburbs are still doing very well, in general it is because the suburbs are more affordable and also becoming more like city centers themselves (denser, walkable, vibrant, multimodal transportation)

Anyway, just curious if that kind of shift has not been felt in SA.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:51 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Is South Africa really that bad?
Yes.
Quote:
Around 49 people are murdered in South Africa every day.
Quote:
The country has one of the highest rates of rape in the world, with some 65,000 rapes and other sexual assaults reported for the year ending in March 2012, or 127.6 per 100,000 people in the country.[15][16] The incidence of rape has led to the country being referred to as the "rape capital of the world
Quote:
South Africa has a high record of carjacking when compared with other industrialised countries
Quote:
Kidnapping in South Africa is common in the country, with over 4,100 occurring in the 2013/2014 period, and a child going missing every five hours.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_..._Africa#Murder

If that is the risk you want to take, good luck. Not even the inner cities of America are that dangerous.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:34 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,027,297 times
I would rather choose Durban over Joahansburg. After all there are great beachers there. Durban has a mix of African, Indian and European cultures and I sure there is a great selection of foods there.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 PM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Safe or not, one thing is certain, the suburbs of Johannesburg are very handsome. Makes me want to live there, but the safety situation is enough to put me off.

It's not as if these are small areas. Huge swaths of the suburbs look like the areas in the photos below.

Beautiful places! South Africans have very good taste.

https://goo.gl/maps/nuGZTSRAtWG2

https://goo.gl/maps/2k6gdPz5U9u

https://goo.gl/maps/1PwkfywEFPA2

https://goo.gl/maps/YSWt6L5PTw92

https://goo.gl/maps/eUSbkMDdXH92

https://goo.gl/maps/VKJep1VZPgK2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa