Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 11,251 times

Advertisements

I have a credit issue and the only 2 places that are willing to take me are one in Canton and one in Columbus. 2 such completely different everything situations, I have no idea which to take.

Facts: Columbus

-Financially the Columbus choice initial move will be somewhat more, but manageable.
-Columbus needs a little work, a small house in North Linden area. Cute, but the yard needs cleaning and the house needs a little cleaning.
-The landlord pulled a shifty also and said that the deposit I paid was a holding fee and that I still needed to pay first month and security on top of it. I thought the deposit would be taken out of what I owed for first month and security. Plus, if I don't take it, he doesn't want to give me the deposit back, though he said he might give me some of it stating it was OH law that deposits are considered holding fees or some junk. It makes me concerned that I might have a bad situation on my hands if something goes wrong and expect them to fix it. Like they could pull another shifty or cite some other unfair policy.
-The Columbus neighborhood in the North Linden area seems to have some roughness to it, but overall being from Northeastern US cities myself, I think it's okay.

My Sticking Points: Columbus

-As far as living experience, something like the suburbs of a larger city like New York, Philly, DC or Baltimore would be ideal, which is why I'm worried I should pick Columbus.
-I've met a few people so far that have moved from Columbus to Akron/Canton. One cited safety as his reason. He said he was sitting in his apartment working on the computer and watched as his car was getting broken into while he was in school there, but he said the college is the source of most of the safety issues in Columbus. I still have to find out the other person I know, her reason for leaving Columbus for Akron/Canton, but do plan to ask her as well.

Facts: Canton

-Overall, financially Canton will be cheaper, rent-wise, expenses-wise, move-wise and has a bit more financial benefits like this.
-Canton is a managed apartment that will be cleaned and painted before my move in. Security on premises, an overall easy to deal with, ideal apartment living situation.
-The Canton apt. is in North Canton and is in a nice neighborhood I feel comfortable living in.
-My child has developmental issues and doctors think we would be fine in either place. My child is transitioning into the older child's program anyway, so it's a great time for the move either place.

My Sticking Points: Canton

-I've read so much on here that Canton (outside of Jackson Township and a few other places) sucks miserably. Jackson Township is super cool. I liked it, but this isn't Jackson Township, just a residential area in North Canton.
-I'm from the Northeast of the country and don't necessarily want the same congested traffic and city life experience, however, I don't want us to live somewhere miserable and I definitely want my little one to have a nice, fun growing up. We might move a few years from now, but if it's unnecessary and my child could have the same friends for a lifetime, that would be cool too, so I'm worried that Canton will suck for living there.
-Canton is closest to a location for some religious activities I want to be involved with, however, I could still drive back from Columbus a few times a month.
-I've read on these forums that Canton has gangs or other safety issues. Is this still relevant or was this more in 2007 to 2010?

Please tell me whatever you think is relevant in terms of safety, quality of life, neighborhood experiences etc. after reading my post.

Last edited by new2oh7; 08-28-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
-Overall, financially Canton will be cheaper, rent-wise, expenses-wise, move-wise and has a bit more financial benefits like this.

I think that's hugely important. You'll be able to give your child more experiences if all of your money isn't going into rent and groceries.

If it really is the better deal financially, you could start there and put some of your money into savings. Then in a year or two, if you're unhappy, you'll have a nest egg and can maybe rent a better apartment in Columbus.

There are gangs everywhere. If you live in a neighborhood where they aren't tolerated, they will go elsewhere.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
Are you considering an apartment on the north side of Canton, or in the city of North Canton? Though I haven't been in the area for a long time, I think there is a big difference. Some people who would prefer not to live in the city of Canton, would be OK with living in North Canton. It's more suburban/small town.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 PM

56 posts, read 114,800 times
I live at Woodside apartments in Canton, I have a 3 bedroom townhouse here. Its just inside Canton, the border sign is a few roads away. It is very peaceful here, the neighbours are lovely, and all the roads nearby are great, no sign of trouble.
The rent is reasonable, that goes a long way, and the big stores are not far for good shopping etc. Its in Plain school district, which is a good district to be in.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 PM

Thank you guys for your imput.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Are you considering an apartment on the north side of Canton, or in the city of North Canton? Though I haven't been in the area for a long time, I think there is a big difference. Some people who would prefer not to live in the city of Canton, would be OK with living in North Canton. It's more suburban/small town.
I'm not sure. As far as I know, it's just North Canton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alybain View Post
I live at Woodside apartments in Canton, I have a 3 bedroom townhouse here. Its just inside Canton, the border sign is a few roads away. It is very peaceful here, the neighbours are lovely, and all the roads nearby are great, no sign of trouble.
The rent is reasonable, that goes a long way, and the big stores are not far for good shopping etc. Its in Plain school district, which is a good district to be in.
After a search, the location can be part of the Plain School District or the Canton District according to the Ohio tax finder thing. It's been pretty peaceful both times I've gone there, much like the neighborhood you describe.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

I think that's hugely important. You'll be able to give your child more experiences if all of your money isn't going into rent and groceries.

If it really is the better deal financially, you could start there and put some of your money into savings. Then in a year or two, if you're unhappy, you'll have a nest egg and can maybe rent a better apartment in Columbus.

There are gangs everywhere. If you live in a neighborhood where they aren't tolerated, they will go elsewhere.
Yup. Finances are a huge part of this. The living situation in Canton is better in so many ways. I was just concerned about the quality of life. When coming to the location today, I found it surrounded by mostly nice properties in a generally nice area, but the first time I came from a different direction and wound up traveling through Cherry street or something at one point, and that was pretty dismal until I got 10 minutes away from the property.

However, it seems that the property is in a good area itself within a 10-20 minute driving radius, so that's probably good enough. I guess Canton just has areas that need development like many other small towns do is all.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 AM

72 posts, read 287,579 times
I'm chiming in from Canton. As you noticed, there are good areas and rough ones. I'd personally rather live in a nice area of Canton than a rough area of Columbus. If your looking at North Canton, the schools are excellent. My neighborhood in Canton is two blocks from the city border. The homes are maintained, the neighbors are awesome and the nights are peaceful.... I love it. I can ride my bicycle downtown in about 10 minutes.

It's true that Canton does not offer all of the entertainment options that Columbus can. However, depending on what your into, I think you could be surprised.

- Canton has been working hard at installing greenway trails for bicycles and pedestrians, they are a nice way to get outside and be active.
- There is Sippo Lake and a Canoe livery at Ernies bicycle shop.
- Downtown Canton has First Friday events once a month. First Friday is always well attended and usually themed according to the season.
- If your are a basketball fan, Canton is home to the Charge, which are the Cleveland Cavaliers D-league team.
- Amish Country is nearby. Lots of nice little wineries to relax at.
- Tuscora park and the Lynn drive-in are both affordable, unique and just a short drive away.

Akron is a 30 minute drive and Cleveland is about one hour. What Canton lacks, we usually make up for as a region. You can easily drive to Cleveland, enjoy an evening at playhouse square, a ball game or whatever and drive back the same day. Cedar Point is nearby too, that is ALWAYS fun!

Old 08-29-2013, 03:08 AM

72 posts, read 287,579 times
You mentioned Cherry Ave. Yes, that is a blighted area of downtown. It's unfortunate because it's a heavily traveled street. Even so, downtown as a whole has been greatly improved over the last decade. The main stretch is market ave. It seems like new development is working it's way towards Cherry, but not enough to really make a visible impact yet. Recently Walnut ave (one block from Cherry) got new sidewalks, lamp post and bicycle lanes. A new Deli opened it's doors on Walnut (Deil Ohio) and it's got some delicious food.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 AM

56 posts, read 114,800 times
Quote:
After a search, the location can be part of the Plain School District or the Canton District according to the Ohio tax finder thing. It's been pretty peaceful both times I've gone there, much like the neighborhood you describe.
all I know is that the kids in by block of townhouses go to Plain schools.
I have lived in Canton a month now, we moved here from the UK, and had never been to this part of town before, so I know how it can be moving somewhere unknown, but I have been really surprised and relieved to find this area is so nice!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM

87 posts, read 145,991 times
Canton has some really nice areas especially the suburbs. You have shopping at belden village Cleveland is less than an hour away if you need things there. Akron is close.
Yes Columbus is a great growing town. But if you are living in a bad area of it then forget it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton