Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatreboy View Post
To Bornthere. I was born in Canton as well (Mercy Hospital in 1951), moved away when I was 8, but my family had been there since the 20's. My mom and dad were both actively involved in the Player's Guild from the mid 40's until we moved in 1959. My dad also worked at Roger's Jeweler's downtown. My uncles still live there, and owned Dickson's Haberdashery, also downtown. I went to Woodland Avenue Elementary, as did my mother and grandmother. I wonder is it's still there. We lived on Harvard Avenue and 17th St. and my grandparents lived on 13th and 8th NW. I remember going to Taggarts for ice cream as a kid, and going shopping at Kobacker's, where they had the best Christmas display windows ever. I haven't lived in Canton in 50 years, but I miss it terribly. Life was very simple back then, but maybe Canton has gone the way of the rest of small town America, and has gang problems and crime just like we do here in Houston. Anyway, thanks for the good memories.

Yeah sorry to disappoint but pretty much any part of Canton south of 30th St. (excluding Ridgewood and Harter Heights and a few other spots) is in varying degrees of not so hot. 17th and Harvard if I recall is before it breaks into Ridgewood and is getting kind of rough.

8th St NW, unless you're closer to Whipple, is in varying degrees of not so hot. If you're east of the park you're mostly talking hooker and crackhead territory.

So... don't feel bad, a lot of the city probably isn't how you remember it. And believe me, I'd prefer it _was_ how you remember it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,968 times
Anybody remember WHBC AM - "Tradeo" a call in "for sale" show.

Who could forget "Hey there everybody, this is the sports voice of Hymie Williams." I miss that.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 50,697 times
Default Back to the Future

Hey Born There--

I remember almost every single thing you mentioned on your post. The Arcade......anyone remember the Fulton Fish Market in the Arcade? Guaranteed, anyone who'd ever been there would never have forgotten the smell!
Also-- Taggarts-- does anyone remember the ritual that went along with Taggarts for some people (including my family)-- you would go there and get some huge sundae and then go a few blocks from it to a free flowing spring to get a drink of fresh spring water?

I was born and grew up in Canton but have lived in the east since 1960. However my youngest who is now 21 chose to go to College of Wooster (not my suggestion but a great school). He's now a junior and taking him out in the fall every year affords my wife and I an opportunity for me to show them (again) all the places I used to frequent. Problem was, I almost did not recognize the place and couldn't find my way around. Barely found my old high school, then called Glenwood. It was great for me but my son and wife were quite bored. Can you imagine that?

Anyway, everytime we go out there (and it has become a family joke), I try to find a place called Roberta's. It was a fast food place, not even in Canton but somewhere, I think between Canton and Massillon. It has haunted me because they had great hot dogs and burgers, but best of all they had thin french fries they fried in oil laced with bacon fat. When served, they topped it with a pat of butter. Literally a myocardial infarction in a square cardboard holder. I imagine Roberta's is long gone, but anyone remember it and remember where it used to be?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:04 PM

72 posts, read 287,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
Anybody remember WHBC AM - "Tradeo" a call in "for sale" show.

Who could forget "Hey there everybody, this is the sports voice of Hymie Williams." I miss that.
Tradeo is still going to this day, I heard it on my way to church this morning. I was joking with my wife about calling in to sell a nearly new box of rice-a-roni.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:04 PM

284 posts, read 700,570 times
Oh, gosh this brings back memories! My family moved to Canton in 1960. I went to Woodland (it has a different name now) and Harter Elementary, Souers Jr. High, graduated from Lehman High School and did my student teaching at the original Canton McKinley. My father was copy editor of the Rep, and one of my brothers worked at Taggarts, and I waitressed at L&K while I was in college.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 PM

232 posts, read 676,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Mother Gooseland has been gone for.... 25 years maybe? The only thing left is that concrete whale.
Wow! What a blast from the past! I remember going to Mother Goose Land. Haven't thought about that in years!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 10,964 times
Born in 1970 at Timken Mercy Hospital...grew up near mother goose land and later lived in harter heights. Memories of taggarts, the spring water from the road that took you from fulton to 7th st that ran along the edge of monument park. Woolworths and paperback mart was downtown (which has had a recent new facelift...now has the old little chicago feel to it with bistros and such). Does anyone remember the amusement park by meyers lake back in the 60's-early 70's? Ahhh..and speaking of Myers Lake..the ice cream shop on 12th st (as it curved around the lake). The Stables was where the best Haunted House was in the area....and Remember Skate-a-way and the Galaxy night club? (The galaxy was closed down before I was old enough to get inside)...Trippers night club in the late 80's....BB McClain's...The Pub in B.V. ...

Old 11-14-2009, 11:23 AM

So, nobody remembers Robertas and what happened to it?

Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 10,685 times
I was born in Canton in the sixties and lived in the area until moving to Florida about 5 years ago. I don't recall a Robertas, but I do remember Heggy's in Canton and Alliance serving pats of butter atop french fries.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Thanks, prjackie. I remember Heggy's too. If I remember right Heggy's was on Cleveland Ave and it wasn't too far from the Avalon drive in where they served Manners Big Boy burgers. When I was in high school we used to "buzz the A" (drive in one side and out the other) looking for who was there with whose girlfriend. The car hops were on roller skates (not kidding) and would come to your car to take and deliver your order. Ahhh those were the days...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton