Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 06:07 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Census numbers are never 100% correct, even when "official" numbers are presented. Not everyone is being counted. Only 60% of Bham population was "official" in 2010. So 40% of the city wasn't counted. Add that percentage in and what would the number had been in 2010. So the true population was way higher than that. Census counts are just a "let see what we have every 10 years", but there is no way it count every person in this country.

Of course you can't count every person but you can get pretty close, census is usually only less than 1% off and that just because of those that don't bother filling it, but its pretty close. I believe you are referring to estimates rather than the actually census
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 06:16 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Of course you can't count every person but you can get pretty close, census is usually only less than 1% off and that just because of those that don't bother filling it, but its pretty close. I believe you are referring to estimates rather than the actually census
Supposedly Alabama had 99.9 percent count. How is that possible, but that also means the count should be very accurate.
https://census.alabama.gov/alabama-c...hold-response/

The response rate includes only the percentage of households accounted for, not the number of people living in those households. The U.S. Census Bureau will release the total statewide population figures for the Alabama and all other states in the coming months, currently scheduled for Dec. 31. These figures will determine congressional reapportionment.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Supposedly Alabama had 99.9 percent count. How is that possible, but that also means the count should be very accurate.

The response rate includes only the percentage of households accounted for, not the number of people living in those households. The U.S. Census Bureau will release the total statewide population figures for the Alabama and all other states in the coming months, currently scheduled for Dec. 31. These figures will determine congressional reapportionment.

They already released state population?

Old 06-16-2021, 06:38 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Nah, I'm referring to the so called "official" number, not estimates. Just my opinions. I would guess most places are way more than what the U.S. Census Dept. tell us. I'm sure they know a more accurate way.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:43 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Census numbers are never 100% correct, even when "official" numbers are presented. Not everyone is being counted. Only 60% of Bham population was "official" in 2010. So 40% of the city wasn't counted. Add that percentage in and what would the number had been in 2010. So the true population was way higher than that. Census counts are just a "let see what we have every 10 years", but there is no way it count every person in this country.
is 60% the response rate? that doesn't mean they don't count the other 40%... it just means they use other means (like physically visiting the house, calling, etc) to determine as best they can the number of residents at those addresses. obviously no number is going to be 100% accurate, but they should be able to get pretty close. you're not seriously suggesting that the 2010 census number (212,237) is only 60% of the city's actual population, meaning the true city population was ~350,000?

Old 06-16-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
They already released state population?
yeah, remember it was like 100,000 off? isn't that why you've been doing your calculations, to find out where the "missing" people are? estimates had it around 4.9 million, but it's actually about 5.03 million. maybe i'm misunderstanding your question.

https://patch.com/alabama/birmingham...essional-seats

Old 06-16-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
yeah, remember it was like 100,000 off? isn't that why you've been doing your calculations, to find out where the "missing" people are? estimates had it around 4.9 million, but it's actually about 5.03 million. maybe i'm misunderstanding your question.

https://patch.com/alabama/birmingham...essional-seats
Lol sorry I forgot it’s hard to read sarcasm, but yes it was sarcasm. I found out as soon as they posted

Old 06-16-2021, 09:38 PM

haha. sorry... yeah, i can never detect sarcasm on the internet.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post

That' already been done - December 2020. https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...20-table02.pdf

Old 06-26-2021, 07:01 AM

134 posts, read 122,904 times
Yeah but did they count the shadow population? the surge of illegals that I've seen in areas like Hoover and Ag-areas in south AL (black belt, Troy area south)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama