Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Interesting augruement...Not whether or not you find the Confederate flag offensive, but if you did find something offensive, such as a Nazi flag on american grave, does anyone have the right to remove it?

I would think not from someone else's grave or property that felt strongly about the flag and what it represents.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
The cemetery is owned and maintained by the city of Auburn...(Public property maintained by tax payers money) it is not private property and there are restriction on placing anything on any grave which could be offensive to the appearance of the surrounding lots or grounds.

From the little research I did however that determination should be made by the City of Auburn and the removal of any and all offensive objects should be done by the Sup. of Cemeteries. So the councilman was wrong to do it himself....but there is no right for any one or any person to put what so ever they please on any grave. The rules state that you cannot even put a teddy bear or toy on a grave.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,289 times
Quote:
The cemetery is owned and maintained by the city of Auburn...(Public property maintained by tax payers money) it is not private property
Thank you for the clarification.

The only cemeteries I've ever had any dealings with (where my parents, grandparents, and so on are buried) are private.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The cemetery is owned and maintained by the city of Auburn...(Public property maintained by tax payers money) it is not private property and there are restriction on placing anything on any grave which could be offensive to the appearance of the surrounding lots or grounds.

From the little research I did however that determination should be made by the City of Auburn and the removal of any and all offensive objects should be done by the Sup. of Cemeteries. So the councilman was wrong to do it himself....but there is no right for any one or any person to put what so ever they please on any grave. The rules state that you cannot even put a teddy bear or toy on a grave.
Most tax payers in Alabama don't see the Confederate flag as an "offensive object".

Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most tax payers in Alabama don't see the Confederate flag as an "offensive object".
I realize that. That is the problem.

They didnt change the constitution to allow inter racial couples to marry until 9 years ago....and that vote was 40 to 60% even though the federal laws made such discrimination illegal.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:18 PM

19 posts, read 72,572 times
Well, here we go again.

I've never cared for the flag and don't care what they do with it. But, if someone went into a cemetary and took something that I'd placed on a relative's grave, there'd be a brand new civil war I swear.

As far as the slavery issue goes, I'm sure a lot of the politicians that passed the motions for secession were slave owners, but 99% of the guys who did the fighting were not. Do you really think they were fighting for those rights? I doubt it.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I realize that. That is the problem.

They didnt change the constitution to allow inter racial couples to marry until 9 years ago....and that vote was 40 to 60% even though the federal laws made such discrimination illegal.

It's a "problem" to you, not to most of us who live here.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEagle View Post
if someone went into a cemetary and took something that I'd placed on a relative's grave, there'd be a brand new civil war I swear.
Same here. If I were to walk past a grave with Nation of Islam symbol on it I would shake my head and keep walking. You just don't touch other peoples stuff.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Very few Southerners owned slaves.

Lincoln did not free the slaves because he thought it was wrong.

During the war, he freed the slaves in certain states, in order to insure anarchy and to cripple them.

Had he believed slavery was wrong, he would have freed them before any war.

Both Grant and Lee knew the war was not fought over slavery. Slavery was on its way out with mechanization around the bend.

The war simply was not fought over slavery. It was fought over tariffs and differences of government.

Thats like saying WW2 was not fought over jews. The nazi flag still represents repression and violence. Same goes for the bars and stars.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Thats like saying WW2 was not fought over jews. The nazi flag still represents repression and violence. Same goes for the bars and stars.
Um, you're in Canada, I don't think you need to be worrying about what goes on in Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama