Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times

Advertisements

Actually, Alaska isn't part of the contiguous United States but it is part of the continental US-common misconception, but we share the same continent. Otherwise-good post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 PM

225 posts, read 400,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_staples35 View Post
You may be aware of some of the following... so I don't mean to bore you too much

My fellow Alaskans have the right of way here. So please Alaska, correct me if I'm mistaken. Tried to answer with what knowledge I have and things I have researched.

With that said.

I am not from Alaska... yet. However, I also border Canada in New Hampshire with much more density on both sides and do not feel any attachment at all.

I think to understand an answer you need to understand the United States (US) a bit more. Although Alaska is not part of the "Continental" United States it is part of the US. Sharing the same Federal/National government as the "Lower 48" states and Hawaii. Each state is independent and almost like its own little country with its own laws and regulation. Then each state is divided into either counties/territories or in Alaska's case called boroughs. These areas also have their own ordinances/laws that pertain individually to their own needs. Every state is different economically, some more so than others. So.. Alaska has its own economy, but it is similar to the rest of the nation and has most of the same businesses, brands, and commodities. Some products tend to be a bit more expensive considering shipping charges.

Not like Canada at all... So I would assume Alaska feels attached to the US economically, yet still proud to be physically independent.

Culturally.. Since Alaska was purchased from Russia there is more of a Russian influence that is somewhat visible, especially in the Aleutian Islands. Also a lot of the small villages are made up many native "Eskimo" tribes. Not so much Canadian. The borders of Alaska and Canada's Yukon Territory are also very remote on both sides. Most of Canada's population density is on the southern/central and eastern side of the country near Toronto Montreal and Quebec and Alaska's population density is closest to south central of the state near Anchorage.

I hope this answers your question with a better understanding

"Also a lot of the small villages are made up many native "Eskimo" tribes"

What about the Indians and Aleuts?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 PM

21 posts, read 46,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Actually, Alaska isn't part of the contiguous United States but it is part of the continental US-common misconception, but we share the same continent. Otherwise-good post!
Yes "Contiguous" is actually what I meant to write. Thank you, glad to see someone is paying attention

Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_staples35 View Post
Yes "Contiguous" is actually what I meant to write. Thank you, glad to see someone is paying attention
We deal with that detail with shipping companies all the time-it's a pain.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 PM

21 posts, read 46,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
"Also a lot of the small villages are made up many native "Eskimo" tribes"

What about the Indians and Aleuts?
Good point. I was going to write out a list but was feeling winded already so I decided to keep it simple.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I wonder why some English words are spelled differently in the United States, like favorite vs. favourite, or using a z instead of an s. Were the original settlers here bad spellers or did they just wanted to differentiate themselves? Things that make you go hmmmmmmm. I am pretty sure Canadians use the original spelling of those words.
Canadians use a mix of British and American spelling.

Canadians will generally use colour, favourite, honour, harbour, dialogue, catalogue, etc., but the American spellings for authorize, categorize, etc.

Centre is the official Canadian spelling, but center is commonly seen as well.

Canadians use judgement and judgment relatively interchangeably and you will see both.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
I didn't know judgement vs judgment was a British/American thing. I just thought "judgement" was a misspelling.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,808,359 times
Looks like I missed something that was edited....oh well

THANKS for all the rep points for post #149...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska