Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 03:53 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

That is why I have been banging the drum in spite of my lack of knowledge about nuclear power. I am grateful that you and Rich do have such knowledge. my perspective as a nurse is that people who do know are alarmed and accordingly I think a thread Radiation Risk To Alaska should be started.... just my .02 but better safe than sorry IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
They caught fire & burned?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
This thread is fine. No need to make a third thread.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM

Here is a link to the NRC Chairman statement

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/wo...uclear.html?hp

Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Here is a link to the NRC Chairman statement

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/wo...uclear.html?hp
Thanks...the article explained it.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
This thread is fine. No need to make a third thread.

roger that. probably a good idea not to complicate things.

"When we had no fowl we ate crawdad. when there was no crawdad we ate sand."

"You ate sand?"

Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Can you please be more specific. Thanks
I will try, but it requires some technical explanation (sorry about the length).

Nuclear fuel bundles in an operating reactor produce allot of heat (obviously) due to the fission of Uranium.

When the reactor shuts down, the fission stops, however the highly radioactive fission products produced by the splitting Uranium atoms (Cesium, Strontium, Iodine, etc) continue to decay generating a lesser amount of heat. This is the “decay heat” we all have now heard of, and why Nuke plants require a shutdown or emergency cooling system of some kind even when they are "off”.

When a plant shuts down, Decay heat is initially 7% of Reactor Power (still quite capable of getting plenty hot) and gradually tapers off over the course of weeks to months.

If all power is lost at a shutdown plant and you can’t restore emergency cooling, the fuel heats up and can melt, as we have seen in this disaster.

If the fuel gets also uncovered (loses water) it will also burn - most metals burn if you get them hot enough (just take a match to a piece of steel wool if you don’t believe me).

Obviously all of this melting and burning (referred to as a “meltdown” in pop culture) destroys the physical integrity of the fuel rods and releases the highly radioactive fission products to go where they may.

In an operating reactor, this is obviously bad, but not catastrophic because everything is still inside of the Reactor Containment vessel and is prevented from escaping to the environment. This is after all what the containment is for – a final physical barrier in case of the worst case scenario.

This is what we see with Daiichi Units 1, 2, & 3.

Unit 4 however was shutdown at the time of the disaster for refueling.

This sounds good, however, the first step in the refueling process is to remove the (until just recently operating) fuel from the reactor and transfer it to the Spent Fuel Pool (SFP) – basically a big, concrete basin the size of several swimming pools, about 40 ft deep filled with water to keep the fuel cool and provide shielding since the fuel is highly radioactive. If you look at spent fuel in the pool, it actually glows an eerie blue because the radiation flux is so intense at the surface of the fuel.

The SFP has cooling systems, just like the reactor itself, to keep the spent fuel cool as the Decay Heat tapers off.

Now here’s the rub – the SFP is not within the reactor containment boundary.

In the Daiichi plant design, the SFPs sit in the reactor buildings – just a metal sided building not intended to be a pressure boundary. And due to all of the fires and explosions of late, the roof and sides of the reactor buildings have been blown off at Units 1, 2, 3, & 4.

So at U4 you now have high level, hot nuclear fuel EXPOSED DIRECTLY TO THE ENVIRONMENT. I’m sure if you flew over the site in a plane and looked down you could probably see the blue glow from the exposed fuel.

Now, this still isn’t a Chernobyl, that would require the fuel to explode and send everything into the atmosphere. That can’t happen. However, depending on how much decay heat is left, if they can’t cover this fuel quickly it will heat up and burn releasing the high level fission products directly to the atmosphere in the smoke plume.

Last I heard they were talking about bringing in water canons to shoot water on to the pool and cover it up. Problem is that spent fuel is so radioactive (now that it’s been uncovered) you can’t get within several hundred feet without getting a lethal dose of radiation.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
I was reading everything I could find... and just saved this one to my computer without a link. Why?
Do you know something about it? Is it a good model or a hoax, like the other map? Just say what you know, that's what we are trying to do, discuss and figure out what to expect
It's kind of hard to comment on an unsourced Russian picture that looks like it was made in MS Paint.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Last I heard they were talking about bringing in water canons to shoot water on to the pool and cover it up. Problem is that spent fuel is so radioactive (now that it’s been uncovered) you can’t get within several hundred feet without getting a lethal dose of radiation.
At the risk of sounding horribly heartless, it sounds like someone might need to pull a Spock here. Can't they hunt up a few terminally ill people who know how to operate a fire hose and want to go out as heroes or something?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:52 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
At the risk of sounding horribly heartless, it sounds like someone might need to pull a Spock here. Can't they hunt up a few terminally ill people who know how to operate a fire hose and want to go out as heroes or something?
I'm sure they are asking for volunteers. At Chernobyl they also orderded some poor *******s in the army to do it, but they also had volunteers fly over the core and dump boron with helicopters. At one point they also had volunteers run up to the exposed core, throw one shovel full of sand on the reactor, then run off to suffer in a hospital after having received a near fatal dose of radiation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska