Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think in an ideal world I'd do it the other way around....winters in the interior and summers in Oregon.
Really?! I mean, I understand why I think, being a huge lover of snow and ice and everything associated with those things, but that's kinda surprising. I have heard Oregon is beautiful in the summer though. So, Met, why not spend summers on POW and winters in the interior? You would be in Alaska year-round; you could have your cake and eat it too.

If I were to be a snowbird, I would spend winters in either Vermont or the White Mountains of New Hampshire and summers in Alaska, but I'm interested in being a year-round Alaskan, so that's not really what I'm looking for. I wouldn't want to pick up and move twice a year. And also, I wouldn't be a very good snowbird, because Vermont has extremely snowy winters, snowier than much of Alaska. High altitude + near the Great Lakes and the Atlantic = SNOW.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Really?! I mean, I understand why I think, being a huge lover of snow and ice and everything associated with those things, but that's kinda surprising. I have heard Oregon is beautiful in the summer though. So, Met, why not spend summers on POW and winters in the interior? You would be in Alaska year-round; you could have your cake and eat it too.

If I were to be a snowbird, I would spend winters in either Vermont or the White Mountains of New Hampshire and summers in Alaska, but I'm interested in being a year-round Alaskan, so that's not really an option for me. And also, I wouldn't be much of a snowbird, because Vermont has extremely snowy winters, snowier than much of Alaska. High altitude + near the Great Lakes and the Atlantic = SNOW.
I've spent good portions of the winters in the interior lately, but because of family issues I need to be in Oregon a lot. Last winter my father was pretty ill and his docs were trying to put him in a home which would not have been the best thing. And I like my little home town and the sense of family and community I have there, though to an extent I have the same thing here.

The central Cascades are a good compromise for winters, actually.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:42 PM

65 posts, read 205,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Off topic bit but isn't your upcoming move quite soon?
Yup we are leaving Southern Oregon on June 28th. My wife has family in a few places in Canada, so we plan on making a few stops to visit, but we will be arriving in Soldotna on July 6th. I'm absolutely stoked. I can't wait get there. It'll be a little bittersweet as my entire family lives here, but my wife's immediate family lives in Alaska, so there is no perfect solution. But I love Alaska, and I'm excited for my first winter up there haha.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:20 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I would not mind spending February through May in a warmer climate...I do not mind the cold or winter but I do mind how long it lasts...
Some of my coworkers have bought homes in Nevada, where they spend time during the long Alaska winters. One of them paid a little over $125,000 for a house that cost around $400,000 four years ago. The housing market tanked big time in Nevada.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Palin flubs explanation of Paul Revere’s ride | The Upshot Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110603/od_yblog_upshot/palin-flubs-explanation-of-paul-reveres-ride - broken link)

Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Dear Palins: Can Alaskans crash at your home in Arizona? | Alaska Dispatch

Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Here ya go. From today:

Quote:
The most recent publicly distributed poll of Alaska public opinion about Palin showed just 36 percent had a positive opinion of the former governor. The poll by Dittman Research of Anchorage, conducted in March, echoed polling late last year by Public Policy Polling, which also found Palin had high negatives among fellow Alaskans.

Dittman attributed her numbers to the oil tax increase (ACES) and Palin's program to pursue the dream of a natural gas pipeline to the Lower 48 (AGIA).

"Part of it is still kind of lingering around her resigning or quitting," he said. "But I think the biggest part of it right now is related to the economic element of it, the disaster of ACES and AGIA. Frankly it's just getting to be there's less and less to like."
Read more: Palin flaunts Alaska; Alaskans unsure about her: Former Gov. Sarah Palin | Alaska news at adn.com

Old 06-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Well, since the Anti-Palin poster want to keep her on the spotlight night and day, please allow me to help you with more news about Palin:

Palin 'liberated' - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Still rogue, Palin embraces media - CNN.com

Sarah Palin's tour a rolling menace - Kasie Hunt - POLITICO.com

Old 06-05-2011, 02:24 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, since the Anti-Palin poster want to keep her on the spotlight night and day, please allow me to help you with more news about Palin:

Palin 'liberated' - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Still rogue, Palin embraces media - CNN.com

Sarah Palin's tour a rolling menace - Kasie Hunt - POLITICO.com
All of my posts here have discussed Palin's specific policies while she was Governor, and how they have detrimentally effected Alaska - backed up with facts.

Like Notrees however, you appear only to be fascinated by tabloid media and gossip.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
All of my posts here have discussed Palin's specific policies while she was Governor, and how they have detrimentally effected Alaska - backed up with facts.

Like Notrees however, you appear only to be fascinated by tabloid media and gossip.
Perhaps you got it all wrong, Moose? I didn't start this thread, which by the way was about Palin moving to AZ, but it seems that the whole thing has turned into a discussion by a group of gossiping preadolescents, all giggling and talking at once, and none listening I already posted two links about ACES, and also mentioned that I have no idea of what it does, since one group of Alaskans like it, while others don't (I posted both versions). I am just adding to the fire like every person in here.

Here is more fuel to the fire: lawmakers oppose our Governor on the tax changes of ACES he wants. Was ACES a good thing, or a bad thing? All depends on which side one is standing on, I imagine. But I stay away from arguing about it.
http://juneauempire.com/state/2011-0...-house-victory

And for those who want "real facts" in relation to ACES, here is "ACES"
http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...25&bill=HB2001

The bottom line of one side talking against ACES, while the other talking pro ACES = $$$$$$. Wo loses $ and who wins? Follow the money trail

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-05-2011 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska