Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 AM

406 posts, read 756,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
All I can say is that I have been in Colorado Springs in January and it was 50 degrees, no snow, and it was mostly yellow and beige-the grass and the buildings. I was pretty surprised at how drab it looked. This was during a really bad cold snap in Alaska and I flew back to enjoy -30 in Anchorage and -60 in Fairbanks. It is true that you probably won't be halibut fishing every day-I have never been halibut fishing-but seeing moose and Alaskan scenery is an everyday occurance.
-60 in Fairbanks? The last time it was officaly -60 was Jan.19,1971.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
I'm just going by what my friend's van's electronic reading said. Whatever it was-it was chillier than normal.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 AM

406 posts, read 756,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I'm just going by what my friend's van's electronic reading said. Whatever it was-it was chillier than normal.

I know it was cold enough; that it didn't matter that it wasn't 60 below!

Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 AM

84 posts, read 326,738 times
I have lived in both, and not from either.
southern Colorado will be hot in the summers... 100+ more than 5 times
Alaska wont hail or thunderstorm or flash flood.
Colorado has less bugs in the mountains
skiing season is 4 months longer in Colorado than Alaska
getting outdoors in Colorado always seems to ruined with traveling hours and traffic
Colorado has cheaper everything and all types of food. No big burrito places here at all.
Tons of people in Co moved there from somewhere else, not the same in Alaska.
Both places are friendly, but CO is more friendlier than AK

Best two states in nation to avoid summer humidity.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
You know, there actually are pockets where the temperature is different than the official reading.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
CO more friendly than AK? you really think? i dunno...i didnt get that impression myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4tas View Post
I have lived in both, and not from either.
southern Colorado will be hot in the summers... 100+ more than 5 times
Alaska wont hail or thunderstorm or flash flood.
Colorado has less bugs in the mountains
skiing season is 4 months longer in Colorado than Alaska
getting outdoors in Colorado always seems to ruined with traveling hours and traffic
Colorado has cheaper everything and all types of food. No big burrito places here at all.
Tons of people in Co moved there from somewhere else, not the same in Alaska.
Both places are friendly, but CO is more friendlier than AK

Best two states in nation to avoid summer humidity.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I lived in Colorado for 6 years. I graduated from what was the University of Southern Colorado in Pueblo in 98. I lived 40 miles away, between Canon City and Penrose. .
Shucks, between Canon City & Penrose, there's right near where the OP's Florence is!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 AM

yeah. i am trying my darnedest to get an idea of what Florence/Canon City is like..even posted in CO forum, but no replies....maybe its that unpopulated that no one out there has internet ha ha! perhaps they are so busy working cattle, like where i live right now...perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Shucks, between Canon City & Penrose, there's right near where the OP's Florence is!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
yeah. i am trying my darnedest to get an idea of what Florence/Canon City is like..even posted in CO forum, but no replies....maybe its that unpopulated that no one out there has internet ha ha! perhaps they are so busy working cattle, like where i live right now...perfect!
If you've never been, my suggestion to you is....go! I've been thru that area to the Royal Gorge & thru to Salida.

There are a lot of gross generalizations regarding Colorado on here, all liberal, tree-huggin' Californians LOL & that simply is not true. Colorado is a big state with a whole spectrum of origins, beliefs, & stances. In fact, that area of Colorado in which you are looking is a fairly red county historically. There are plenty of those in Colorado.

I've lived in Anchorage/Eagle River area the last 12 years as well as have lived in Colorado (Steamboat, Manitou Spgs, Trinidad, La Veta, Aguilar, Alamosa)

My personal reflections are that Anchorage is a town of almost 300K while Florence is a town of probably little more than 3K. You could probably buy a house around Florence for a little over $100K while Anchorage would be around $300K. Those are just my guesstimates. I certainly wouldn't want to have to go to Pueblo for my commodities since it's not one of my favorite places in Colorado. Although Pueblo does have some beautiful old brick buildings.Pueblo is a polluted,working-class town with some really beautiful old buildings, many of which are going back to the earth.

I loved Anchorage, great jobs & minutes from Alaska LOL! But it is expensive. I have paid $2.50 for a red bell pepper. I loved the groomed ski trails right out my back door in town, the backpacking right out of town, Denali National Park, salmon fishing trips on the Kenai.

I wish I could remember more about the Canon City area. It's much nicer than Pueblo, the nearest city to Florence. The royal gorge is awesome. What I can say having lived in southern Colorado, a big plus over the dark long winters in Anchorage & Fairbanks, is SUNSHINE! Year-round! There is world-class hiking climbing 14ers, white water rafting, horseback riding, hunting & skiing within driving distance.

I reiterate.... go visit Florence before making a decision!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM

thanks for all the info and feedback. i will definitely go visit. i dont do cities well and just cant bring myself to ever live in a city. i live in a very small rural Texas town, where ranching is the primary way of life. the reason why i am interested in Florence is because the job i could transfer to there is my dream job. i would just hate to move there and regret not moving to Alaska (but then again, in AK, my options would be Anchorage and Fairbanks..and Anchorage is too big for me, and Fairbanks..well, dont know how well i would adjust to the severe winters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
If you've never been, my suggestion to you is....go! I've been thru that area to the Royal Gorge & thru to Salida.

There are a lot of gross generalizations regarding Colorado on here, all liberal, tree-huggin' liberal Californians LOL & that simply is not true. Colorado is a big state with a whole spectrum of origins, beliefs, & stances. In fact, that area of Colorado in which you are looking is a fairly red county historically. There are plenty of those in Colorado.

I've lived in Anchorage/Eagle River area the last 12 years as well as have lived in Colorado (Steamboat, Manitou Spgs, Trinidad, La Veta, Aguilar, Alamosa)

My personal reflections are that Anchorage is a town of almost 300K while Florence is a town of probably little more than 3K. You could probably buy a house around Florence for a little over $100K while Anchorage would be around $300K. Those are just my guesstimates. I certainly wouldn't want to have to go to Pueblo for my commodities since it's not one of my favorite places in Colorado. Although Pueblo does have some beautiful old brick buildings.Pueblo is a polluted,working-class town with some really beautiful old buildings, many of which are going back to the earth.

I loved Anchorage, great jobs & minutes from Alaska LOL! But it is expensive. I have paid $2.50 for a red bell pepper. I loved the groomed ski trails right out my back door in town, the backpacking right out of town, Denali National Park, salmon fishing trips on the Kenai.

I wish I could remember more about the Canon City area. It's much nicer than Pueblo, the nearest city to Florence. The royal gorge is awesome. What I can say having lived in southern Colorado, a big plus over the dark long winters in Anchorage & Fairbanks, is SUNSHINE! Year-round! There is world-class hiking climbing 14ers, white water rafting, horseback riding, hunting & skiing within driving distance.

I reiterate.... go visit Florence before making a decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska