Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 01:33 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times

Advertisements

^ Indeed it does. That's why I appreciate them as well. But, like you, I am unable to rep tigre at the moment. Thanks for the first-hand view! Now I need to come see it in person...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Yeah, I realized that I generally only post pics from mostly clear days, because the clouds we get here are usually quite light-colored and uniform, and make everything look kind of flat, especially when the mountains are white.

Earlier that morning the clouds dropped down really low, and it was much like I described in that other thread. You could still see all the way across the bay, and even to the base of the mountains down at the mouth of the bay, but there was a cloud ceiling at about 300 feet, above which you couldn't see anything. That was the worst overcast we've had in a while, but I was working out on the rearing pens and couldn't take a picture.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79
Yeah, I realized that I generally only post pics from mostly clear days, because the clouds we get here are usually quite light-colored and uniform, and make everything look kind of flat, especially when the mountains are white.
Sounds kind of similar to that "flat light" phenomenon that one of the pilots was talking about on Flying Wild Alaska. Very perilous for flying. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In clear air conditions, when there is little or no snow falling, but the ground is completely covered with snow, diffuse lighting from overcast clouds may cause all surface definition to disappear. It becomes impossible to tell how far away the snowy surface is. In polar regions this optical illusion can make whole snow-covered mountains invisible against the background white cloud, and the horizon cannot be identified, slopes cannot be judged for steepness, and snow surfaces cannot be seen. This effect is exacerbated by a smooth surface of fresh snow. It is only when a contrasting object is placed on a snowy surface that the surface can be detected. In less extreme cases, it may suffice to break the snow surface by throwing a snowball ahead. This form is also known as flat light or sector whiteout

Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 PM

Yup, scary when you're out snowmachining or skiing or whatnot as well. You literally cannot tell where small hills or rises are if you're not following a track or there aren't any willows to show you where the ground is. You'll think you're on a perfectly flat area and suddenly go up or down without any warning. Very disorienting.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Wonderful light for portraits. It's particularly great for flowers, children and young women, less so for men or older people. But it makes for pretty bland landscapes unless you up the contrast.

The Exif data is pretty limited on your images. Could I ask what kind of a camera you use, and if you do much processing, or just take the JPEG as it comes from the camera?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Tonight's sunset.

White Alice and sundogs

Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
The Exif data is pretty limited on your images. Could I ask what kind of a camera you use, and if you do much processing, or just take the JPEG as it comes from the camera?
Just a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ59. Don't do much to them, sometimes increase contrast or adjust color temperature with Picasa. I've been encouraged to buy a real camera and take photography more seriously, but I'm not sure I really want to lug something like that around. I don't really do portraits, but it is true that flat light is good for flowers. This wild iris was taken on quite an overcast day:

Last edited by tigre79; 04-06-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Just a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ59. Don't do much to them, sometimes increase contrast or adjust color temperature with Picasa. I've been encouraged to buy a real camera and take photography more seriously, but I'm not sure I really want to lug something like that around. I don't really do portraits, but it is true that flat light is good for flowers. This wild iris was taken on quite an overcast day:
Yeah! Is that ever a wonderful example!

I sympathize about the camera getting lugged around. I actually quit doing much photography for a few years in the late 80's and early 90's, mostly because I couldn't have a darkroom (which is at least half the fun for me). Then digital came along,

At first I used smaller cameras because I was traveling a lot. But when I "retired", I switched to professional model DSLR's, starting with a Nikon D1. The difference is that before that photography had to be secondary, but now it is my primary work.

When the whole purpose of being wherever it is I go is to photograph it, I don't mind lugging a big camera! During the summer months I usually have about 25 pounds of photography equipment on my 4-wheeler, even when just cruising around town. :-)

Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Yeah, I used to be big into photography, but then I moved and no longer had access to a good darkroom, and kinda fell out of it. I just got a DSLR, though, so we'll see. So far I more or less like it, but doing it all with computers just isn't the same. Playing around with the RAW data is interesting in its own way, though...

Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Holy crap Warpt! That sun looks like a comet, the way it has a trail as it's setting in that picture. And sundogs are always very cool. Is that a White Alice tropospheric antenna right under the sun in the sundog picture? I know the tropospheric antennas were these huge things that looked like barrels, at least from one side, and that's what that looks like in that picture.

I, too, used to love working in the darkroom. Of course, that was back in high school, and I haven't done it since. I have a decent point-and-shoot and post some extremely mediocre pictures of the Blue Ridge Mountains on the western NC forum.

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 04-06-2011 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska