Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 06:42 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,949,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
I haven't posted much recently, the Alaskan summer has had me running all over hill and dale, having a blast!

Parasailer over Cook Inlet...

Sea otter...

Sea lions...

little cove outside of Resurrection Bay...
Awesome pics! Gotta spread the luv You really have that new camera down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,361,351 times
Very nice, Jason28. Great pics.

Interesting....they remind me of the Old Pali Road on Oahu.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,779 times
Hi, I must agree these are beautiful. Can I ask a question? What do you like about Alaska and what don't you like? I am thinking of moving there from Idaho.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,812,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryEllenP View Post
Hi, I must agree these are beautiful. Can I ask a question? What do you like about Alaska and what don't you like? I am thinking of moving there from Idaho.
I can only answer this for me specifically as answers will wildly vary between people.

Alaska likes (specifically Kodiak) would include great weather that varies between 30 and 60 degrees most of the year. Seriously, I havent used a hat or gloves here all winter last season and that includes the one giant snowstorm we got. Mountains are everywhere which is great for hiking and exercise. I also am into amateur photography since I got out here and there is no shortage of sights and critters to take pictures of. We have world class fishing here that includes halibut, ling cod, king salmon, yellow eye, and various other rock fish. There is hunting here even though I dont hunt, I may give it a try in the future. We also sport the largest land carnivores on the planet with the Kodiak brown bears which can get up to 2,000 lbs. This reminds me I need to get up and photograph some before summer is over. I also get paid a lot of money and often jobs here do pay more.

Alaska dislikes would include in some areas it gets too cold, but like I stated before Kodiak is perfect temperature for me albeit a tad too much rain and icing in the winter. There is a lack of women here but thats mostly due to the population being small here on the island. Cost of living sucks. You will pay more for gas, heating oil, and food/toiletries. Most places in Alaska are worse than Kodiak. Only way in or out is by airplane which once again, similar to a lot of remote places in Alaska due to the tundra. You also can use a ferry but thats not time effective in most cases unless you plan it out way in advance and/or want to move a vehicle.

Overall I really like it here and am contemplating staying forever. I dont think I've been happier in the last ten years than I am here. My biggest gripe would be the lack of available women however, if you were already married and moved here life would be just perfect. Personally I'm thinking of importing a woman from Anchorage or somewhere else in the lower 48.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 AM

82 posts, read 164,130 times
WOW how exciting, Jason is the the only person on here that I have seen from Kodiak.
I would also like to say housing is hard to find here in Kodiak..... I have been here since April and can't find a place to call home. Problem with us is we have two dogs that I couldn't leave back home and there isn't a place that will except dogs. And once the ad is in the paper you call on it and it is gone. I called on one that wouldn't even take kids, I have a 13yr old boy.

If you are into shopping here in Kodiak and other remote places in AK you have to plan a trip to a bigger city or Online. (really hard to find clothes for a 13yr old boy that isn't into walmart clothes.)

I do like the fact that it doesn't get really hot here, back home last mo. there were days in the 100's Just tooo hot for me.

There is lots of great beaches to comb. We spend alot of time doing that.

Anyways Take care all,

SHY

Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,272,243 times
Kind of a rainy day, hit and miss type.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:17 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,818,403 times
I don't know Ed...I'd hate to send you up that converter and have it screw up your great photo work.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:25 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,272,243 times
I have been keeping my focal length quite wide lately Dave, though there are times I'd like to zoom in even more so then my 250 will do. That, and the converters are nice and light compared to hauling around an extra lens. Just something to play around with.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:14 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,880,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyeeyore View Post
WOW how exciting, Jason is the the only person on here that I have seen from Kodiak.
I would also like to say housing is hard to find here in Kodiak..... I have been here since April and can't find a place to call home. Problem with us is we have two dogs that I couldn't leave back home and there isn't a place that will except dogs. And once the ad is in the paper you call on it and it is gone. I called on one that wouldn't even take kids, I have a 13yr old boy.

If you are into shopping here in Kodiak and other remote places in AK you have to plan a trip to a bigger city or Online. (really hard to find clothes for a 13yr old boy that isn't into walmart clothes.)

I do like the fact that it doesn't get really hot here, back home
last mo. there were days in the 100's Just tooo hot for me.

There is lots of great beaches to comb. We spend alot of time doing that.

Anyways Take care all,

SHY
Hope you all are doing well...it will come, be patient...

Old 08-15-2009, 10:16 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,880,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post

Gorgeous...I cannot do heights...and you are definitely showing those...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska