Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't often see people pulled over here, but one time the troopers passed me going way too fast so I figured there was some emergency somewhere. Then a few minutes later I drove by the coffee place and there was the trooper vehicle at the drive through there...it was about five minutes until they closed so I guess they wanted to make sure they got there in time.
A coffee and donut break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Why do so many people want to move to Alaska that have never been there before?

Don't you think you might want to go and check it out before you start dreaming about moving up there? I don't get it.

Is it some idealized notion of what it's like?
Who ever wrote this in 2007 was a friggin' genius

Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,777 times
I heard that Alaska has one of the highest suicide rates.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM

38 posts, read 79,077 times
They think that life in Alaska will be one giant vacation. Same as Hawaii, only colder.

People want to work less and play more, and see Alaska as the ultimate playground. You can't be a workaholic there even if you wanted to be since the state shuts down for half the year, and the economy isn't very big anyway. Many people hunt and fish for sport, so why not live someplace where everyone does that as a matter of course? As for work, they think they'll get paid to do the fun things you have to pay to do on a cruise.

They understand that Alaska requires a very different attitude and a very different way of living, and are counting on that because they think that they need to physically be someplace different in order to live different. Neither Manhattan, nor rural Alabama, nor any of the interchangeable middle-class suburbs can truly support the Alaskan lifestyle, any more than they can support the Hawaiian lifestyle.

They read about the tightly-knit communities and see that as the kind of thing they're expected to want, with the added benefit that no-one has any choice but to reach out to people.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM

12 posts, read 10,441 times
wallstreet1986 are you living in Alaska ?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 PM

370 posts, read 882,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Why do so many people want to move to Alaska that have never been there before?

Don't you think you might want to go and check it out before you start dreaming about moving up there? I don't get it.

Is it some idealized notion of what it's like?
Moving there for a while is different then relocating forever.

I've moved around locally in Texas and Illinois. Sometimes I have a one year lease or more, or less. I've rented in urban areas, small town, country areas of both farm and ranch.

Perhaps the term, "moving" is relative and needs to be clarified. I've wanted to move there for a while yet, never once did I ever consider living their forever, (retiring and passing away.)

Maybe folks mean to "move" there like I do, as a way to live there and not just vacay, or maybe they mean to live, work, retire and die. Either way, I don't see it as wrong. If someone wants to try an experience of living someplace, what is wrong with that?

Jen
p.s. I've lived in San Antonio for 4 years and will be in AK for 3, although AK has been a life long dream and I suspect it will mean much more to me than my time in TX...yet, again, I do not see myself retiring there and breathing my last breath either, (knock on wood! )
p.p.s. wow, a 4 year old thread...duh on me.

Last edited by Gennaver; 11-02-2011 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: p.p,s.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver
If someone wants to try an experience of living someplace, what is wrong with that?
Absolutely nothing at all. I moved here to the mountains just because I wanted to live here. Haven't regretted it once, except in the summers I wish I had moved somewhere where it doesn't get so damn hot. It's better than Alabama where I grew up, but it still sucks. Nothing wrong with wanting to live somewhere.

I have a friend who is in his 70's, from northern Ontario, lived in the Virgin Islands and now lives here, and he said it to me like this (regarding my intense desire to move to Alaska): "If you have to do something, go and do it. You would regret it for the rest of your life if you didn't at least try". I am taking that to heart, because it is what I believe, and because he is one wise, happy old man. I know few people who are as content as he is. If I need a source of wisdom that I can call on, he's the man.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 AM

370 posts, read 882,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Absolutely nothing at all. I moved here to the mountains just because I wanted to live here. Haven't regretted it once, except in the summers I wish I had moved somewhere where it doesn't get so damn hot. It's better than Alabama where I grew up, but it still sucks. Nothing wrong with wanting to live somewhere.

I..: "If you have to do something, go and do it. You would regret it for the rest of your life if you didn't at least try". I am taking that to heart, because it is what I believe, and because he is one wise, happy old man. I know few people who are as content as he is. If I need a source of wisdom that I can call on, he's the man.
Hi,

Yeah, it sounds crazy to me that someone would recommend I take a vacay to visit a place...

I am not really sure how people do that. Isn't that a lot of hurrying, I am not a hurryer, (sure, maybe I am a fast worker but, I do not want to cram-pack my life and rush, rush, rush for a vacay, where is the fun in that?)

I mean, they save up all their money, take leave from work, then do a bunch of work to pack and go "work and play and likely have a negative income at that time and spend" someplace else in a short period of time, barely get to relax into the flow of life there and then pack it all back up and hurry back to all their daily activities that have been on hold the entire time they were gone? Only to have to do a double time hurry to catch up to the flow of life they put in neutral while they were gone? Maybe I have that wrong. Then again, maybe the poster meant vacay in a different meaning than I think a vacay is. Perhaps they meant only a weekend or a week! Gah! That is an exursion.

For me, I'd much rather "move" up there and get a feel for all the seasons and well, again, all the while I'd always wanted to move to Alaska I'd never once dreamt of staying there the rest of my life, at all.

Jen

Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
I've wanted to relocate and yes.. retire to Alaska... for everyone it's a bit different... depends on your age and perspective. I've only been able to truely relax when I'm exploring and enjoying nature... I know I only have 25 days in Alaska to base my move on but after the many years I've been on earth, I know a bit quicker what works for me.. here is something my friend sent me that sums it up:

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance, take it & if it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would most likely be worth it."
ENJOY LIFE NOW - IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska