Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 01:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I think this is the best and most detailed description of hunting mindsets I have ever encountered. I grew up being totally opposed to hunting, at any time, for any reason. Over time my feelings have changed quite a bit, but you have really defined the motivations well, and I can see that you have put a great deal of thought into this complex subject.

The only ones with whom I would take issue today are the poachers, and possibly the sport hunters who are motivated by the challenge alone. I think they could "shoot" their prey just as effectively with a camera, but even so, I have no real problem with them, as long as the meat is given to someone and not wasted.

In any case, thanks for a great post.
I have no tolerance for those with the poacher mentality. It is completely selfish and destructive. While I will always eat what I shoot, I can understand the challenge aspect that draws the "sport" hunter. I rely on the Alaska law that requires all game meat to be salvaged to ease my concerns about waste. They are not required to eat it, they can give it away if they want (and many do), but they are prohibited from selling game meat.

My sense of morality dictates that if I am going to take a critters life, I have an obligation to at least put it to use. Do not waste the gift.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have no tolerance for those with the poacher mentality. It is completely selfish and destructive. While I will always eat what I shoot, I can understand the challenge aspect that draws the "sport" hunter. I rely on the Alaska law that requires all game meat to be salvaged to ease my concerns about waste. They are not required to eat it, they can give it away if they want (and many do), but they are prohibited from selling game meat.

My sense of morality dictates that if I am going to take a critters life, I have an obligation to at least put it to use. Do not waste the gift.
That is a noble way of thinking of acting, and more people should be that way. Unfortunately, there are many adrenaline junkies and "alpha" types who have that mentality of trying to feel powerful. Some people kill for sport because it makes them feel powerful.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is a noble way of thinking of acting, and more people should be that way. Unfortunately, there are many adrenaline junkies and "alpha" types who have that mentality of trying to feel powerful. Some people kill for sport because it makes them feel powerful.
Have you ever hunted before? You make it sound like all are out for the thrill of the kill.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:33 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

Reps.

It really all comes down to respect, doesn't it? Responsible hunters respect the prey. Poachers see it all as something to take, simply because they can.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
LittleJazzyP,

Head down to one of the streams and check out the fishing or ask to tag along on a hunt, see what it is all about. Hunting is no cake walk by any means, shooting the critter is the easy part. The scouting and the hauling it out, skinning it, cutting, packaging it up is where all the work is.
I am very much hoping to do this, and I have no doubt that the shot itself is probably the easiest part. Field dressing a large animal looks like very hard work.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Have you ever hunted before? You make it sound like all are out for the thrill of the kill.
I never said all were out for the thrill. I said there were some people who would kill for thrill. I've been around people like that in Georgia. And fwiw, I've never hunted, but my father has. He did it for the food.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I am very much hoping to do this, and I have no doubt that the shot itself is probably the easiest part. Field dressing a large animal looks like very hard work.
Here is a great website with all things AK outdoors, fish, hunt, hike,etc.

Alaska Outdoors Forums

Old 04-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said all were out for the thrill. I said there were some people who would kill for thrill. I've been around people like that in Georgia. And fwiw, I've never hunted, but my father has. He did it for the food.
When you posted this "Unfortunately, there are many adrenaline junkies and "alpha" types"

Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
When you posted this "Unfortunately, there are many adrenaline junkies and "alpha" types"
When I said that, I was referring to what I've seen around me.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Speaking of bear. Why is everyone on Ted's +++. Many people who hunt Brown bear in AK take the hides and leave the meat. Why is that. I know some guys will take the whole bear out. People say coastal brown bear are yucky.
Brown bear are primarily hunted for trophy; most people consider the meat to be inedible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska