Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
See, this...this I have issues with. If it cannot be eaten, why kill it? Use of the hide is not a very good reason, given the number of animals out there that can be used/consumed in their entirety. As for killing just to have a head mounted on the wall, sorry, I still think that is just kind of sick.
Those are the hunts that cost the -48 folks $15,000-$30,000 for that hunt.
I have no use for the hide/rug/mount unless I needed to make winter boots, coats then I would shoot one.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 PM

811 posts, read 1,316,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Wildlife photographer, eh?
Go through the AK picture listed at the top He has a ton of great picture along with a ton of other AK pictures.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ak-photos.html

Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I know very few people who actually like the meat, though a lot of people like to cook with bear fat. Their claws and teeth were also useful in making tools. They aren't hunted for their meat nearly as much as other animals are.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:39 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Most rights are conditional. If you break the law, you may lose your right to liberty and be put in prison. If you are a felon, you may lose your right to vote. And if you abuse your right to own a gun, you should lose that right, as well.

And don't tell me how anti-gun and anti-hunting "most" liberals are. I am quite liberal, and have no problem at all with either guns or hunting. I do, however, question the wisdom of allowing completely unregulated access to guns. People who have committed a crime involving a firearm should not have one.
Thank you very much for this. Now I don't have to respond to the nonsensical post. Off to "spread it around" so I can rep you again..

Old 04-21-2012, 03:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Real hunters don't use bear bait.

And I seriously don't know why anyone in SE would even have to.
Perhaps the people you know in SE don't bait hunt. However this type of hunting is not only legal, but done throughout Alaska. Bear meat in the interior of Alaska is quite popular with "pale faces" and Native Alaskans as well. Other than pelts, black bears bring a lot of meat to the table to a lot of people. Some of my coworkers, AK Natives and non, bear bait each Spring.

Some others, not "pale face folk" I believe, are allowed to open a hole on the den and kill black bears inside. This too is hunting for meat.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-21-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 03:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Perhaps the people you know in SE don't bait hunt. However this type of hunting is not only legal, but done throughout Alaska. Bear meat in the interior of Alaska is quite popular with "pale faces" and Native Alaskans as well. Other than pelts, black bears bring a lot of meat to the table to a lot of people. Some of my coworkers, AK Natives and non, bear bait each Spring.

Some others, not "pale face folk" I believe, are allowed to open a hole on the den and kill black bears inside. This too is hunting for meat.
I guess you don't understand that bear is pretty plentiful in SE, no need to bait them, and that bears that consume a diet high in fish often taste like crap.

We have better food choices than the people in the interior, I suppose.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
A very wise person once told me that it is a great thing to have an opinion and share it. Just make sure you do your home work and it is an informed opinion otherwise you make an a** out of yourself.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I agree; Our new voting machines made in Spain by a George Soros Company;

Spain gets to tally / count the votes.

I am 100% positive Obama will win through voter fraud.
In the movie My Cousin Vinny, Vinny gets up (half asleep) for his cross examination and says everything that guy just said is bullchit.

I would like to say the same about your comment.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I suspected as much. Ted Nugent seems to have some big obsession with killing animals for sport. I just had to check this individual case out. It makes me wonder if he would kill people for sport if he was allowed to. It sounds extreme of me to say that, but I just think of his persona and alot comes to the mind.
There are a lot of 'Ted Nugents' out there. I grew up in a conservative area, and enjoy guns and shooting. However, what I did not, and do not, enjoy is the indiscriminate killing of animals by many of these overly vocal NRA types.

I have had to endure, on many an occasion, conversations which go something like this: "Hey (insert name here), did you limit out on your Chukar last weekend?" "Yeah buddy, and you should have seen on the way back to the truck- there was this coyote just standing still about 20 yards away. I fricking blew his head almost clean off with my Benelli, man!" (childlike laughter) "Right on, bro', that's awesome!"

I have no problems with people hunting legally. But, I believe in eating what you kill, and I don't believe in thrill killing- ever. I rarely hunt. I go with friends, but I don't see the point in killing an animal when I can afford to march down to the store and buy a steak if I want meat. I catch and release most fish, too. That's just not really macho, I know, but I couldn't give a f*** less.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:05 PM

468 posts, read 799,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I guess you don't understand that bear is pretty plentiful in SE, no need to bait them, and that bears that consume a diet high in fish often taste like crap.

We have better food choices than the people in the interior, I suppose.
Thank makes sense. I would imagine that uses would differ based on food availability and abundance. I read a land use study done on NPR-A back in the 1970's and if I remember correctly there was a passage about traditional uses of walrus. It mentioned that it was not a primary meat source, but if other sources were not available, they would be more heavily relied upon. The SE has so many rich meat sources, I can see why bear wouldn't figure prominently on the menu, especially if it tastes like crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska