Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM

406 posts, read 755,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English_Nurse View Post
That's a little disturbing. I actually hope he sells the parcels - if he is the owner (the contact on the ad is 'Roger') because I'd rather not have someone of such questionable integrity as a neighbor. But hey, his lots are on the North of the lake, and mine is on the south, so at least we have a body of water between us...
I was suspicious of the pix after hearing that there were no old growth trees around the lake due to a fire that swept through the area 15 years ago. In those pictures there are some trees over 100 ft tall by the look of them.
There was no fire 15 years ago. Where did you hear that?

I really don't care either way. Old growth would be nice, but hey - it's a 5 acre plot of land that isn't all muskeg and is near a lake in remote Alaska - that's all I expected for the price.
Thanks for your email about the difficulty of building and getting a well in.
As far as building, I saw these mini-cabins on a site called 'tumbleweedhouses'.

They're VERY small cabins that are heated with marine heaters very cheaply ($5 a month of propane apparently). I wouldn't buy one (as they're $19,800...), but it makes you think - maybe I could build a cabin on a trailer, get all the work done somewhere dry and warm, and then haul the whole thing in during the winter with a Sno-Cat.

I don't know about the heater? Sno-Cat? You won't find one around here. One of the other owners out there is bringing a small cat out there this winter. That is his plan anyway. So the trail will be wider.

Epu | Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

That would still leave the issue of water and septic. You said that it was hard to get a septic in because of the permafrost. Do you know how deep the permafrost is/goes?
It is always different.
All I'll need is a 500 gallon septic going into a leach field. I'm sure I could haul one in behind a snow-mobile. But if you're saying the ground is too tough to dig deep enough to install a septic I may have to re-think that one.
Unless you are going to buy a case back-hoe you are going to have to do all the digging by hand for your septic

What do you do for water?
Do you have a catchment system or purify the lake water?
My land is on a slight tilt, so I was thinking of installing a mini-water tower on the upper end of the Lot, so I could have gravity fed water.

Drinking water, have used filtered lake water, melt snow or haul it in others have used rain water. I would do that if I was out there more.
The only guy that has a shower out at Deadman uses lake water pumped through filters has a hot water heater in a bath shed. water dumps on the ground. Only used in summer.

What kind of pipes do you use on your cabin / insulation for the pipes?

Pipes? nobody has pipes! I have a sink that empties into a bucket and fill the sink with a bucket.....

You must be reading this and thinking: This guy doesn't have a clue what he's got himself into - he's living in the clouds. And you're probably right.

yep I don't think you understand what is required to do what you are looking for. That is why you need to come up on vacation for a week in the summer and check it out. You will learn more in a week than reading these posts.

Still, I like the look of that 'Epu' cabin on that website and can imagine myself and at least one other member of my family cosily tucked away there looking out at the northern lights.
Use it as a temporary base and over the years, build something bigger, so the original cabin would just end up as a 'guest cabin'. Not that I'm anticipating visitors.

Although I see there is a lodge on the lake (BeaverPoint Lodge), and it might be nice to get a license to run a bed and breakfast as a little extra income.
The People that ran Beaver point are gone they sold to someone else.
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 PM

406 posts, read 755,857 times
Pictures of Deadman Lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Considering property-june-30-2007-manley-hot-springs.jpg   Considering property-100_0623.jpg   Considering property-100_1280.jpg   Considering property-101_0681.jpg   Considering property-101_0692.jpg  

Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
I looked at Friesen's website and they look pretty good.
He does a 16' x 20' chalet style cabin with a 4' overhang and a 4' x 8' deck with side-rails for $18,164.20 inclusive of roof, foundations, windows, door and labor. Plus he has payment plans where I could put down a 25% deposit ($4541.05) and then another 25% when he has the foundations in; another 25% before he puts the roof on; and the final 25% when the whole project is complete.

So, for $4541.05 I could get started. That's eleven night shifts for me, working extra from my regular job through a nursing agency. I earn $415 for a 12 hour night shift (after tax) through this one nursing agency.
If I was willing to work an extra 12 hours a week on top of my regular 36 hours a week then I could come up with the 25% down in just under three months (beginning of March 2009) and get him started on the foundations.
By this time next year, if I carried on doing the extra shift a week, I could have the cabin paid off and built.

Throw in a cheap portable propane heater and a home made out-house and I'd have myself a cosy little camp by December 2009 to spend next Christmas in as for a vacation for me, my wife and all three kids.......

It could be done.

Working 48 hours a week, nights, as a nurse is tough and I get grouchy as hell if I don't get at least 5 hours sleep during the day. Plus, I wouldn't see much of my family except for two days a week. But it would only be for a year... It could be done.

Curse you all for suggesting such a thing. Now I've raised the anchor of my little sloop of dreams and have drifted out of the safe harbor of procrastination.

Well. I'm going to give it some serious thought.

I'll give Friesens a call tomorrow to go over the practicalities of building in a remote area and any extra cost it would entail.

One question for those of you that might know:

Is T-111 a poor building material? I'd rather go with Cedar, as it has fire retardant qualities, but I can always paint the T-111 with FF88 paint.

Does anyone have any experience of T-111?

I shouldn't think these things at 2 AM. It's not healthy for a man.

If you wanted to see how much romance there "isn't" living in such a place, would be glad to let you stay in my cabin for a few days. It is very remote, two hour run by snowmachine on a good day if the trails are broke. Not very far by airplane, but if you don't have one, a very expensive way to travel.

You may want to redo your vision on living remote after doing it for a bit. It isn't for everyone and nothing like the movies... At -50, you are pretty much cabin bound except for going to the outhouse (very quickly at that I might add) and cutting firewood.

Logistics are another issue most people just don't think about living remote either... everything has to be taken out by boat, snowmacine, airplane or very labor intesive packing.

I enjoy it myself, but I am from here and have done it all my life... guess I don't know better...

Would even offer to fly you out to your property and drop you off for a few days to see how you like the place, you cover the Avgas...

Last edited by starlite9; 12-03-2008 at 02:13 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 02:02 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
If you wanted to see how much romance there "isn't" living in such a place, would be glad to let you stay in my cabin for a few days. It is very remote, two hour run by snowmachine on a good day if the trails are broke. Not very far by airplane, but if you don't have one, a very expensive way to travel.

You may want to redo your vision on living remote after doing it for a bit. It isn't for everyone and nothing like the movies... At -50, you are pretty much cabin bound except for going to the outhouse (very quickly at that I might add) and cutting firewood.

Logistics are another issue most people just don't think about living remote either... everything has to be taken out by boat, snowmacine, airplane or very labor intesive packing.

I enjoy it myself, but I am from here and have done it all my life... guess I don't know better...
Lol, that is entirely the reason that my wife and I are considering buying property and building a cabin for temporary stays. I need my creature comforts and my child needs a school.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:10 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Lol, that is entirely the reason that my wife and I are considering buying property and building a cabin for temporary stays. I need my creature comforts and my child needs a school.
That is a very good reason to have a place in the bush, so like most people, you can go out and realize how much nicer you have it in town.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
That is a very good reason to have a place in the bush, so like most people, you can go out and realize how much nicer you have it in town.
I'ze aint dum.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:37 AM

Location: Wherever they send me... (Family are based in Oregon)
61 posts, read 181,077 times
Thanks for the offer Starlite! I may well take you up on it.To everyone who keeps telling me 'you have to get up here and experience it for yourself for a few days' - I'll be coming up in March, after I've filed my taxes. Living remote. I lived alone in a barn in France for just over a month. Being cabin-bound except for mad dashes to the out house.Sounds great! I like nothing better than staring at a fire whilst outside it's ball breakingly cold.Not romanitc? That's relative. My wife and I lived in a one room apartment with my stepson for over a year in the worst part of Medford. We did a 'Megans List' Sex Offenders Register search and found out there were about 5 predatory sex offenders on our block. Which was nice. I've lived in places like Moss Side in England, which was the first place in England where the police were alllowed to carry guns because of the crime. Very seedy. No trees. Just infinite rows of terraced houses.But now you come to mention it guys, I've changed my mind, you're right. Alaska's not for me. It's too cold and remote. I think I'll sell the land on craigslist or Ebay and see if I can't get me a nice timeshare condo in Orange County southern California. Or maybe look for a nice subdivision outside of LA. One of those gated communities where artists go to live. Guys. I'm up for it. Okay?If it's a muddy swamp and I never leave the poky little cabin I get built because of the extreme cold - I'll still love it. I absolutely 100% guarantee it. England is the size of Oregon, but it has 60 times as many people living there. And it's not the wonderful multi-cultural / multi-racial rainbow of diversity and acceptance that Sex In The City producers would have you believe. It's a depressing, secular s*%t hole.Give me mud. Swamp. Mosquitos the size of my small birds. And the kind of temperature where you wake up with your lips frozen together. I'm one of those people that is happy being in what are commonly thought of as 'miserable' places. Cold and dark and wet. Great!Anyway, if it gets really cold and there's not much to eat, I have a cunning plan....But you'll have to wait till I get home and can download the picture to show you what I mean.Also, being cold and miserable and stuck inside is a great reason to have a drink. So I can sit there hunkered over the little fire, as my wife glares at me with hatred for dragging her out there, and I can sup on my hot toddy and truly relish the sanctuary it offers.There's a million reasons.I'll be up there Spring 2009, (with my sno-cat, pipes and septic... or not...).Besides, I'm wise to all your talk of how much I'll hate it. It's because you want to keep it all to yourselves. Sneaky. But I'm wise to you.You can't fool English.And when you get mauled by some giant moose and come seeking medical attention at my debonaire little cabin, I shall shake my head gravely and remember those of you who mocked me for my lack of knowledge of cedars non-fire retardant qualities (although I'm sure they have semi-fire retardant cedar shingles).You guys just don't want to see me hoist my Union Jack up the flagpole on the same lake as your Stars and Stripes.I see how it is.It's a "The English are coming" conspiracy to keep me away.Well, it won't work I tell you! I'll be there in Spring. With my Sno-cat and my bag-pipes and tally-ho to the lot of you.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Starlite! I may well take you up on it.To everyone who keeps telling me 'you have to get up here and experience it for yourself for a few days' - I'll be coming up in March, after I've filed my taxes. Living remote. I lived alone in a barn in France for just over a month. Being cabin-bound except for mad dashes to the out house.Sounds great! I like nothing better than staring at a fire whilst outside it's ball breakingly cold.Not romanitc? That's relative. My wife and I lived in a one room apartment with my stepson for over a year in the worst part of Medford. We did a 'Megans List' Sex Offenders Register search and found out there were about 5 predatory sex offenders on our block. Which was nice. I've lived in places like Moss Side in England, which was the first place in England where the police were alllowed to carry guns because of the crime. Very seedy. No trees. Just infinite rows of terraced houses.But now you come to mention it guys, I've changed my mind, you're right. Alaska's not for me. It's too cold and remote. I think I'll sell the land on craigslist or Ebay and see if I can't get me a nice timeshare condo in Orange County southern California. Or maybe look for a nice subdivision outside of LA. One of those gated communities where artists go to live. Guys. I'm up for it. Okay?If it's a muddy swamp and I never leave the poky little cabin I get built because of the extreme cold - I'll still love it. I absolutely 100% guarantee it. England is the size of Oregon, but it has 60 times as many people living there. And it's not the wonderful multi-cultural / multi-racial rainbow of diversity and acceptance that Sex In The City producers would have you believe. It's a depressing, secular s*%t hole.Give me mud. Swamp. Mosquitos the size of my small birds. And the kind of temperature where you wake up with your lips frozen together. I'm one of those people that is happy being in what are commonly thought of as 'miserable' places. Cold and dark and wet. Great!Anyway, if it gets really cold and there's not much to eat, I have a cunning plan....But you'll have to wait till I get home and can download the picture to show you what I mean.Also, being cold and miserable and stuck inside is a great reason to have a drink. So I can sit there hunkered over the little fire, as my wife glares at me with hatred for dragging her out there, and I can sup on my hot toddy and truly relish the sanctuary it offers.There's a million reasons.I'll be up there Spring 2009, (with my sno-cat, pipes and septic... or not...).Besides, I'm wise to all your talk of how much I'll hate it. It's because you want to keep it all to yourselves. Sneaky. But I'm wise to you.You can't fool English.And when you get mauled by some giant moose and come seeking medical attention at my debonaire little cabin, I shall shake my head gravely and remember those of you who mocked me for my lack of knowledge of cedars non-fire retardant qualities (although I'm sure they have semi-fire retardant cedar shingles).You guys just don't want to see me hoist my Union Jack up the flagpole on the same lake as your Stars and Stripes.I see how it is.It's a "The English are coming" conspiracy to keep me away.Well, it won't work I tell you! I'll be there in Spring. With my Sno-cat and my bag-pipes and tally-ho to the lot of you.
I sincerely hope that you're right. However, the cold that you'll encounter in Alaska, depending upon which part, is absolutely nothing comparable to what can be experienced in the UK, France, or Oregon. Not even close. I came from a colder state that still makes England look mild, and the winters here, even though I'm hardly an expert yet, are a much more serious deal. Not to mention the length of the season.

Your smarmy rhetoric might wilt a bit against the realities of living in an arctic state. However, I still wish you well in your endeavors.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
Quote:
Come on up. Starlite's offer can't be beat.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:05 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Good point! It is amazing the things one begins to miss after about 3 or 4 days in the bush. Like electricity, indoor plumbing and hot showers.

I don't think most people realize just how much work is involved to live remotely. Not to mention the increased risks. Society has given us the opportunity to be lazy and still survive. If one lives remotely and is lazy it could prove fatal. Nature doesn't have a welfare program.

Over the last few centuries we have been so far removed from living remotely that we have largely forgotten the skills needed to live off the land. Those skills need to be relearned if someone truly wants to be able to survive in the bush. It was never an easy life-style, which is why the vast majority adopted changes that would improve their quality of life whenever possible.

The bush is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska