Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I could take care of you. I work for the biggest spa dealer in Alaska and we service the tubs also.
Thanks...and we are semi-serious about it at this point, but will definitely need a bigger and better deck. The garage already has the outlet and wiring done for it - whatever that means. It probably would be next summer when we'd do it...I will definitely come talk with you.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:07 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
I'm off for Beluga Point...hoping to see my first bore tide, belugas and/or orcas...Wish me luck!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:54 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Today was the first nice day we have had here in the Prudhoe Bay area, when we went out on the boat, the water was as flat as a mirror. Not a cloud in the sky and real sunshine!

Took some Biologist out to study some birds nesting on the outer barrier islands, had to go around the island first to make sure there was no Polar Bears there, it was clear, but they still had to have a bear guard with them and shotgun to ensure that it stayed that way.

We ran the boat up on the beach while they went and hiked the island, just the engines off and just sat back, drank coffee and enjoyed the sun's heat (in the high 50's). Had the radio on the Barrow station and they said we are suppose to get snow tonight... By this afternoon, the clouds were moving in... Rats, regardless, the day was really great though.

In the afternoon, we put out sound buoys again today to do testing on the noise the boats are making in the area to see if it will bother the Whale migrations... Seems to me that the Harpoons would be more traumatic than an issue of boat engine noise to the whales, but what the heck.

On the way back to the camp, had to wait for a dozen Caribou to get off the road (they have the right-a-way here), then a family of geese after that, they ran straight down the road then finely headed off to the side of the road and over to a pond. Took about thirty Min's to go about two miles... But it was a nice day regardless... really enjoyed the sun after the last few weeks of cold, rain and wind (30 knots +).

Old 08-16-2008, 07:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,414,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Not in Kuparuk! Glad you finally got some decent weather down your way!
Too bad it lasted just a day

It was a fun day though. We took a group of people over to Glacier Point and then we backed off the beach, and floated for 3.5 hours.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:37 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Warpt thanks for the call. You sound a lot different than you do on the radio. Tell me... Is salmon candy tasty?

Old 08-17-2008, 06:43 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I've never tried Salmon candy. What does it consist of aside from salmon?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:22 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
Guys/Gals, I have a problem. Ok, many problems, but that is a whole 'nother discussion. (Just beating you to it, years of bickering with brothers do that to you)

I am currently reading a crime article, and without getting into details, it's about murders (go figure). In this, since the murderer was famous and a writer, many people has written books about him, one of which is a book called "Lustmord".
Now, this is an article written completely in English (written by an American), so it cannot be another language (say another German language). So my question is, is this really an English word, and what does it mean?

I ask this because this is a word in Swedish, meaning a murder commited just because the person felt like it. I have never heard this in English before, and can't find it in any of my dictionnaries.

Ok, weird question. But, it's semantics, and I'm just curious

Old 08-17-2008, 07:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Hi Sweden, I'll be in Anchorage at the end of the month on the morning of the 28th. Would be sweet if I got to meet you and Rance. I have his numbers so I'll more than likely give the two of you a call. I'll talk my friend that I'm going to Anchorage if she wants to take a drive down to Sterling.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Guys/Gals, I have a problem. Ok, many problems, but that is a whole 'nother discussion. (Just beating you to it, years of bickering with brothers do that to you)

I am currently reading a crime article, and without getting into details, it's about murders (go figure). In this, since the murderer was famous and a writer, many people has written books about him, one of which is a book called "Lustmord".
Now, this is an article written completely in English (written by an American), so it cannot be another language (say another German language). So my question is, is this really an English word, and what does it mean?

I ask this because this is a word in Swedish, meaning a murder commited just because the person felt like it. I have never heard this in English before, and can't find it in any of my dictionnaries.

Ok, weird question. But, it's semantics, and I'm just curious

Hi Sweden- got this off Google.

Lustmord is a specific term that means sexual murder. 'Lust' being sexual. 'Mord' being murder. At the beginning of the century there were a handful of serial killers that had been caught in Weimar for heinous multiple murders. These acts also inspired a trend in modernist art during the Weimar period in Germany. Fritz Haarman, for example influenced Fritz Lang, Alfred Doblin and everyday citizens like Alfred Hrdlicka who proposed to have a statue of the notorious sexual serial killer placed in a town square to provoke thought on enigmas of the nation. Truly, Weimar left a legacy. While people do not seem to reflect on the reality of the serial killers influence behind the art, the art is still glorified.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Hi Sweden- got this off Google.

Lustmord is a specific term that means sexual murder. 'Lust' being sexual. 'Mord' being murder. At the beginning of the century there were a handful of serial killers that had been caught in Weimar for heinous multiple murders. These acts also inspired a trend in modernist art during the Weimar period in Germany. Fritz Haarman, for example influenced Fritz Lang, Alfred Doblin and everyday citizens like Alfred Hrdlicka who proposed to have a statue of the notorious sexual serial killer placed in a town square to provoke thought on enigmas of the nation. Truly, Weimar left a legacy. While people do not seem to reflect on the reality of the serial killers influence behind the art, the art is still glorified.
Hm, so it was that. I wonder if it comes from the German (Lust in Swedish can be sex, and mord = murder. Funny is that in London there's a place called Morden, which in Swedish means "the murders". I've been all over London, but have yet to see that place, thankfully)
I did not know that about Weimar. I learnt in school that it is considered a darker, disturbing form of art, but we never learnt the story behind it. That might have been on purpose...

(Now, why doesn't google work for me? I only got Swedish and German websites, no English. It is a disadvantages sometimes that the Internet knows where my computer is stationed...)

Warpt, it'd be really fun to see you! We're going to be in Anchorage on the 27th (we're coming in late on the 26th), then probably in Girdwood (it's Rance's brother's birthday).
So I think we'll be in Anchorage on the morning of the 28th

Ok, please everyone, tell me that Alaska is predicted to have great weather in September with sunshine and warmth! This rain (think Biblical proportions) and cold is getting on my nerves. It's so cold I'm knitting scarves and sweaters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska