Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
That sounds absolutely disgusting, "Barkly". . . Where's this pizza place, Rance?
Aah, Xa'at, you're back, I haven't heard from you in a while! Well, actually only like a day or so, but still! It's kinda cool, I feel like you guys are starting become some sort of cyber pals to me. I've checked out a forum for Montana,& let me tell you, the people there don't seem quite as friendly. They seem much more negative about not just where they live & the state but also outsiders coming in. You guys seem cautious but much more open & willing to talk to someone like myself, so thank you! I really do appreciate all the advice & answers I've been given & I look forward to hearing more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Wait a minute, for real? That sounds almost just right up my alley! Where is his place??
And Just like that go my dreams of a real computer shop in Juneau...

Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
And Just like that go my dreams of a real computer shop in Juneau...
No no no, a pizza place! I'll leave the computers to you!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Aah, Xa'at, you're back, I haven't heard from you in a while! Well, actually only like a day or so, but still! It's kinda cool, I feel like you guys are starting become some sort of cyber pals to me. I've checked out a forum for Montana,& let me tell you, the people there don't seem quite as friendly. They seem much more negative about not just where they live & the state but also outsiders coming in. You guys seem cautious but much more open & willing to talk to someone like myself, so thank you! I really do appreciate all the advice & answers I've been given & I look forward to hearing more!
Ah, gotta switch to keyboard for this... (I have a tablet pc... )
I'm glad we've been of help. I think sometimes we come off as snotty, but what we really want are good people who are actually going to like Alaska and be contributing citizens, instead of the legions of people who just decide one day, "Oh! I think I'll move to Alaska" then do no research, turn up in spring and are gone by fall.
I think you'll really like Alaska. Still thinking about Juneau?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Now that sounds like a golden opportunity. Can you get pizza with muktuk toppings?
Ok, what is muktuk???

Old 03-18-2008, 08:33 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Let me tell you....the peeps on the AK forum are the best. You go to some of those forums and MAN...they'll serve your head to you on a platter....I do agree that AK doesn't want more of the -48 cr*p and that includes no loaders and people with pie in the sky dreams but no common sense with which to back them. AK has always attracted the driven spirit, the pioneers who don't want to live like the rest of the country does....well to some degree anyway. It has been my experience that Alaskans are really some of the most down to earth and truest people you'll run across. I really hope that you make it up there. And if you decide on Juneau, maybe at some point we'll be neighbors....that's whenever I get my kiester up there! But if you're doing that pizza joint thing, well I'll stop by for a visit and a slice too!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Ah, gotta switch to keyboard for this... (I have a tablet pc... )
I'm glad we've been of help. I think sometimes we come off as snotty, but what we really want are good people who are actually going to like Alaska and be contributing citizens, instead of the legions of people who just decide one day, "Oh! I think I'll move to Alaska" then do no research, turn up in spring and are gone by fall.
I think you'll really like Alaska. Still thinking about Juneau?
I am....I just worry that it may still be too small for me, even though I've been mentioning that that is exactly what I want. Damn, I'm indecisive! I really do not want to be the person who asks you guys all these questions, get all this great advice, meet some hopefully great people in this forum & then come up there & say "oh HELL NO!!!" No, I do not want to be like that at all. This is exactly why I'm on this. I'm trying to do the research that I know should be done & that you say should be done! I don't think you come off as snotty at all, I think you love your state & want quality people to be a part of it. I think Alaska is MUCH MUCH different than us lower 48. I'm not trying to sound stupid or naive, but Alaska seems waaaaay more different than how it is down here, & because of that I want a clear understanding of what to expect up there. Alot of the time, when I read things about Alaska, it seems still very primitive...even the bigger cities. Not primitive, but definitely not as "easy access" as it is here. And while I'm looking for something different than what I have here, it scares me a bit when I think about what I would be leaving. However, reading all of your threads & things, it seems to be that I could adjust to it....well, obviously, I guess it would have to be done if i moved up there, wouldn't it? So, ease my mind a bit....do you know of anyone in my situation who moved up there::: 36 years old, finally, FINALLY is starting to make some money (I make 36K), but still has a lot of debt to pay off so really, after each paycheck not much money left over, has family & friends here who they love w/all their heart & they would be the only one moving up there.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 PM

Xa'at, another question---this is pretty important to me & I'm not sure how others on your forum will think of it, but whatever.....how is Juneau towards gay people? I know you said it was pretty liberal. I myself am not gay, but my best friend is gay, so I'm just thinking about a visit....is the attitude pretty open? Are there gay bars/clubs, etc?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I think Xa'at can back me up on this one, but it isn't going to be a big problem.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Let me tell you....the peeps on the AK forum are the best. You go to some of those forums and MAN...they'll serve your head to you on a platter....I do agree that AK doesn't want more of the -48 cr*p and that includes no loaders and people with pie in the sky dreams but no common sense with which to back them. AK has always attracted the driven spirit, the pioneers who don't want to live like the rest of the country does....well to some degree anyway. It has been my experience that Alaskans are really some of the most down to earth and truest people you'll run across. I really hope that you make it up there. And if you decide on Juneau, maybe at some point we'll be neighbors....that's whenever I get my kiester up there! But if you're doing that pizza joint thing, well I'll stop by for a visit and a slice too!
You guys are great, I agree. I will admit though, I do have some of that "pie in the sky" dream....I just read & watched "Into the Wild".....I know, I know. It wasn't because of that strictly that I thought of Alaska, although it did give me a little bit of a nudge. But I'm realistic, at least I think I am. I've been thinking of moving out of Wisconsin for awhile. And it's not to escape any problems, my life here is pretty damn great. But for a few years now, I feel like I've been missing something & I just thought moving somewhere else would be an answer. Not saying that all my problems wouldn't follow me, but like I said it's not because of problems that I would be moving. It's because I really want to experience something new & I'm hoping that that reason is a good enough reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska