Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But the more time that I spend here (lower 48), the more I understand. I look around me at the piles of tires, washing machines dumped down formerly-pristine mountain hillsides, random trash everywhere,
Take a small airplane ride over the mat-valley sometime....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I guess I'll have to since Google Earth can't zoom in far enough.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,415,883 times
Quote:
I spent 60 hours flying over the Mat-Su and didnt see any trashed dumped all over the place. Unless you count the area next to the Palmer airport.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 PM

I've seen quite a bit -- around the Caswell area in particular. Maybe not trash per se but old appliances, junk cars, et al.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:22 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,415,883 times
Quote:
I've seen quite a bit -- around the Caswell area in particular. Maybe not trash per se but old appliances, junk cars, et al.
I guess I was looking in the wrong areas

Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Depends on the time of year too...after break it up it can look pretty Clampettesque in certain areas During summer the birches and aspens hide a lot of it and of course in winter it's snowed over.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-26-2008 at 10:42 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,679 times
Hey I know I'm new at this but everyone has been great so far, very helpful. Just to put it out there we don't want or expect anyone to change for us as DannyL put it. I'm sure there have been quite a bit of knuckleheads who have asked alot of stupid questions (I hope I'm not one of them). We have been researching Alaska and different areas of Alaska for over a year. The main reason we are moving is because we are trying to find a better place (knowing that no place is perfect) to raise our family. We will do whatever is expected of us and whatever we need to do to bring up our kids in a good environment. We hope that we will be able to offer alot to Alaska and to raise our kids to be Alaskans. We did just find out about this forum and almost turned away thinking it was just a chat room but decided to keep looking into it. I have read Megensmom thread and have learned so much. We too are southerners and the south is not what it use to be. Alaska has been settled by people all over the U.S. like us who wanted to leave the lower 48 for various reasons to start a new and better life. I have alot of Faith that we are making the right decision for our family. Here's to making new friends!!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 PM

Honestly--I don't know anymore.

My son was born in this state and yet I chose not to educate him here--tough decision but it ended up to be right on. But that decision was location specific--Alaska is a huge state and you can probably find what you are looking for...but.it ain't all that different from the lower 48 in a lot of places. People move up thinking it will fix their lives and be so different from what they are trying to leave behind...

but what they've left behind is usually right behind them.

I'm not saying that you or anyone else shouldn't move up; I am saying that you should do so with as clear eye as possible. Moving a family up here is a major commitment.

So many people think that the North is going to be a miracle cure. I'm not saying that you're one of them. But I am saying that it isn't all Little House on the Prairie or in the Woods. Lower 48 bs has taken hold even in the rural areas and that trend is only going to continue.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,679 times
I agree with that completely, and yeah we're nervous, a ton of things could go wrong. But we are trying to do everything that we can to be able to handle those things. Not perfect just goals. I think the public school system in America all together is horrible and a let down to our kids. Alaska being in the US I don't expect to be much different tho I could be wrong. That's why I homeschool all 6!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:52 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
That's why I homeschool all 6!
there's no reason to do that here in juneau unless you just want to. juneau has an excellent school system, you should check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska