Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
they ought to let Xa'at write the script for that...I'd even break down and buy a tv then.
Aw, dude that would kick ass!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 07:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
When is Hollywood going to stop glorifying this sort of bs....
metla, I saw the movie (actually rented the dvd, the movie never played here) and I don't think Penn glorified the kid at all.
As far as the book goes, people should check out the revised edition. The original author includes a chapter at the last which gives a better explanation why the kid died.
The movie was actually pretty sad.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Caliguy

It's not just the green kids that bite the dust. I read a journal, the actual original journal written with an indelible pencil, of an old time prospector that finally succumbed because of his "bum leg". Lot's of old-time sourdoughs ended up the same way.

The fact is that any wilderness is unforgiving and the Alaska wilderness can be especially vicious. Lot's of people disappear there. I was helping a man sell his house a few years ago when he went sheep hunting for a week. He never came back, he was never found, he had a wife and child. I'm sure if his story could be told some people might call it "cool" as well.

So that is the reason you were jumped on for saying it was a "cool" story.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Too bad he was an idiot.

Some people say the guy was sick in the head, like schizophrenic.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Some people say the guy was sick in the head, like schizophrenic.
Some people would be wrong, then.
Nothing I have heard about this guy would lead me to believe he was anything but an idiot who couldn't handle the realities of real life. I mean, he starved to death, but he wasn't even that far from civilization.
It's one of my pet peeves when people throw around the term schizophrenia as an all around term for any sort of mental illness. Schizophrenia is a serious disease that is caused by chemical imbalances. It is physically no different than a non-mental illness say, diabetes, with the exception that the imbalance is in the brain.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:04 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Bumper sticker:

I used to have Schizophrenia, but we're better now.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Bumper sticker:

I used to have Schizophrenia, but we're better now.
Meh!!
Scizophrenia and multiple personality disorder are completely different diseases...

Old 04-27-2008, 02:28 PM

10 posts, read 33,760 times
I think that Chris McCandless couldn't care less what other ppl thought of him. he wasn't out in Denali living that lifestyle for anyone other than himself. and that I respect.
Buuuut... (cool your jets ppl.lol) i think he was way to under prepared and had no realistic means of survival.
Thousands of ppl have moved to alaska to get away from the normal hustle and bustle of life in the lower 48. they move here to connect with nature. they move here to be alone with their thoughts. so who are we to pass judgement on one man who did what thousands of others have done. granted, he died, as MANY had before him, and as MANY probably will after him. I think it's wrong of hollywood to "glorify" what chris did... but at the same time it's a very common thing that alot of ppl go through. This is just an example of what we as a society can look at. trust me, there are way more gruesome/idiotic/heart tugging events than just this particular story...
I had always wanted to live in alaska... since i was in the third grade, when i wrote a essay saying i wanted to live here when i grew up. Well, life took a turn that granted me the oppurtunity to live here, so here i am. I understand and respect the philosophy that chris McCandless had, and any true alaskan who doesn't atleast see how he was trying to live is just to narrow minded in my opinion.
NO I AM NOT CONDONING HIM,,, I just understand his decision to want to be in gods country... (alaska,,,not heaven..lol)
and i think ppl,,especially alaskans, are to quick to pass judgement.. I say this, because i wish i had the brass ones to do what he did. but i'm glad i have the better judgement to know better.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Some people would be wrong, then.
Nothing I have heard about this guy would lead me to believe he was anything but an idiot who couldn't handle the realities of real life. I mean, he starved to death, but he wasn't even that far from civilization.
It's one of my pet peeves when people throw around the term schizophrenia as an all around term for any sort of mental illness. Schizophrenia is a serious disease that is caused by chemical imbalances. It is physically no different than a non-mental illness say, diabetes, with the exception that the imbalance is in the brain.

Thats what this article was saying - adn.com | Craig Medred : McCandless' story isn't really told in the book or the film (http://dwb.adn.com/outdoors/craig_medred/story/9430189p-9342328c.html - broken link)

Old 04-27-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Thats what this article was saying - adn.com | Craig Medred : McCandless' story isn't really told in the book or the film (http://dwb.adn.com/outdoors/craig_medred/story/9430189p-9342328c.html - broken link)
I'm not buying it. The stuff that he wrote sounds more like just that: writing. I've met some perfectly normal people who are creative writers, you read their stuff and think "holy god, this person is insane." But it's just the way some people express themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska