Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
they have been known to stampede in the presence of large gems and other sparkly things.
LOL, I just choked on my Dead Guy Ale when I read that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
LOL, I just choked on my Dead Guy Ale when I read that.
Now that semester is almost over, I've got some time on my hands, and you just gave me the best idea for a photoshop. This is gonna be awesome.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
when you take the ferry you can always stop off in wrangle and buy some raw garnettes from the kids. there's a story right there in itself.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Default Big mistake

-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Helimx
10 posts, read 651 times

I think that Chris McCandless couldn't care less what other ppl thought of him. he wasn't out in Denali living that lifestyle for anyone other than himself. and that I respect.
Buuuut... (cool your jets ppl.lol) i think he was way to under prepared and had no realistic means of survival.
Thousands of ppl have moved to alaska to get away from the normal hustle and bustle of life in the lower 48. they move here to connect with nature. they move here to be alone with their thoughts. so who are we to pass judgement on one man who did what thousands of others

I mean, how can one be quietly "alone with his toughts" amidst a raging blizzard or confronting wild beasts ? The best way to "get away from the bustle " is in front of the fireplace, a cat purring on the lap, with a good book, to be lost in the wilderness is I think a complete stress situation, albeit different from what can experience in cities, but probably more dangerous still...the McCandless story is for me misplaced romanticism ...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:23 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
.the McCandless story is for me misplaced romanticism ...
Is romanticism ever anything but misplaced?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM

...not during a candlelight dinner with a pretty female, I think ....

Old 04-30-2008, 04:22 PM

88 posts, read 319,241 times
Default stop idoits like sean penn

Hollywood will stop when we all go on strike and not go to dumb a-- movies made by dumb a-- democrates like Sean Penn. I will never watch it, nor read the book. The guy was an idiot just like that stupid bear man where him and his girl friend were eaten.
di

Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldavis View Post
Hollywood will stop when we all go on strike and not go to dumb a-- movies made by dumb a-- democrates like Sean Penn. I will never watch it, nor read the book. The guy was an idiot just like that stupid bear man where him and his girl friend were eaten.
di

Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 AM

Default kermit the hermit

You didn't get it at all, McCandless/Penn is a mystical character-with stong masochistic tendencies like these characters usually, but it's his prob-, in other times he would have been a monk surviving on berries and roots (not even Root Beer he! he!) in some forest, nothing "Hollywood liberal" in that!
Proof is, in the end he dies alone (hunger death)with a look of bliss in his eyes like a fakir seating on a rug of nails, muttering this incredible wisdom it took him a deadly trip to the bush to grasp : "sharing is the most important thing in life", well, too bad, he couldn't even share his own death with others, but as a masochist that made him happy (and he wasn't even conscious that in so doing he was making his family and friends unhappy, or he didn't care).
What a sad, sad self-inflated moron.
Come on, guys, even Democrats are not so moronic!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,995 times
Haven't seen the movie, but read the book. I think I understand and appreciate what y'all are saying (even as someone in the WAAAAAY lower 48). I don't, however, understand why anyone else would want to visit that bus, unless it's to pay their respects. I have a fairly low opinion of McCandless and his actions, not only for the fecklessness factor but because he inflicted such tremendous pain on his family and was such a self-righteous turd about it. I read the epilogue to Krakauer's book (in which McCandless's parents visited the scene of his death) and it broke my heart. Whether someone in AK is rational, well-equipped and prepared, or reckless, goofy and romantic, we all have someone who cares about us, and who doesn't deserve to find out about our deaths second- or third-hand, months after the fact. For that alone, I think McCandless was an insensitive, self-obsessed git. He died because a certain percentage of people who do stupid things in stupid ways for stupid reasons get killed; in other words, he was a fugitive from the law of probability.

Last edited by FlourChild; 05-01-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Adding stuff. Again. Some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska