Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 AM

103 posts, read 271,862 times

Advertisements

I moved up there in January last year, less than two months later I got laid off, along with several others (job contract was cancelled). In over 33 years of working, through good times and bad, that had never happened to me! We looked for other work, but nothing was available and with 3 dependant children I had no choice but to return to Texas and to my old job.

A couple of weeks ago I got a call - the job is a go again. Yes, I took it. Even though it was expensive, and will be again. Even though I know I'm burning a career bridge here in Texas, and I know that the work may well play out again. I'm not coming for welfare or easy living, or to try and turn the state into some version of Texas. I am coming back for an opportunity to work my way in, and become an Alaskan. I hope to finish raising my family there, retire there, and have my ashes scattered there when I'm gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,366 times
im leave alaska to never return i came to alaska hoping for a better life with my kids and boyfriend.but before my kids could come my boyfriend started betten me up now im look for away home back to my kids.my home is in georgia im really in need for airmiles if there is anyone out there willing to help you can email me at [email]weatherspoon.shameka3@gmail.com[/email] please help if you can god bless you and i think alaska is a worderful place to live i loved it here in the beganin.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:15 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shameka View Post
im leave alaska to never return i came to alaska hoping for a better life with my kids and boyfriend.but before my kids could come my boyfriend started betten me up now im look for away home back to my kids.my home is in georgia im really in need for airmiles if there is anyone out there willing to help you can email me at weatherspoon.shameka3@gmail.com please help if you can god bless you and i think alaska is a worderful place to live i loved it here in the beganin.
I think maybe you should be talking with the police and social services. There is no reason your boyfriend (who clearly isn't one) should be beating you up.

As for asking for air miles, that also tends to smack of a scam. Sorry, but there is other ways to get back home and social services may buy you the ticket. It is cheaper for the State to send you home than to have you live here on welfare.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
O my, I've read through two pages of these responses and I'm already weary. I've been here all my life, half a century (love that phrase), and for most of it I'd have bet my life's wages I'd never want to leave. Here I am, however, looking at Washington state and 50 acres just purchased and thinking I've made a good decision.

I've done a lot of Alaskan things - lived remote and loved it; fished commercially and respect it; trapped, hunted, owned businesses, worked for others, gold-mined on the surface and under the ground, but the desire to see more than the Alaska I've known all my life has finally topped the romance of this state, and I'm leaving.

It's been a long time coming, but I'm looking forward to warm dirt between my toes. A goat is necessary for serious comic relief on this piece of earth we've bought, and more than a few chickens are on the list. The cabin is log, built by an earthy fella in the 70s, and everything is organic - including the outhouse. Better half is the one who puts you to sleep when you need your appendix out so it'll be a comfortable living financially, however, we're looking seriously at retirement and living frugally, having invested $150,000 cash in our new home. That's practically unbelievable to me - that much money for that much land - impossible up here, but entirely reasonable down there.

The dream life I've lived up here I can have down there for less. I'm fortunate to have had the resources to do pretty much what I've wanted to do most of my life, and I'm not talking just about money. I've been blessed with a body fit and strong enough to pursue my dreams, a mind open and educated sufficiently to make the best of my opportunities, and it's taken two years to finally get that Alaskan chip off my shoulder, the heavy one I've packed around as long as I can remember, inherited from my parents, that shouts the message of nothing being better than Alaska.

I'm past 50. I'm ready to say I've seen and done pretty much all the Alaskan things I'd ever wanted or dreamed of doing, and now I'm eager to see what the rest of the world has to offer. We are a unique bunch, Alaskans: proud and resourceful, determined, strong, and if there is a need for real pioneering spirit I know it can be found in any of us living day in and day out in this state. It's in the mind and the heart, the experience and the mindset of a folk who are separated from the majority, set apart willingly and making the best of what's at hand. I have put my time in and now retire away from what I've called home and the place I've always expected to be buried in.

I wish all who remain many blessings for the times to come.
Well good luck, but when you get your first batch of TAX bills, you will be kicking yourself in the butt. Quite a shock to go from none or little to having every segment of the "New" Host in your pocket.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I think maybe you should be talking with the police and social services. There is no reason your boyfriend (who clearly isn't one) should be beating you up.

As for asking for air miles, that also tends to smack of a scam. Sorry, but there is other ways to get back home and social services may buy you the ticket. It is cheaper for the State to send you home than to have you live here on welfare.
I think that the state used to have a traveler's aid type of program to help people who got stuck get back home; I wonder if they still do. Seems to be a needed service these days.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that the state used to have a traveler's aid type of program to help people who got stuck get back home; I wonder if they still do. Seems to be a needed service these days.
If they still do have the program I hope they finally realized they need to put a clause in and hold to it by record keeping that a person is intitled ONCE to a free ride home. Years ago I know of someone who would go to AK work for the summer and have a guaranteed way home each year. Scam artist at its best!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
If they still do have the program I hope they finally realized they need to put a clause in and hold to it by record keeping that a person is intitled ONCE to a free ride home. Years ago I know of someone who would go to AK work for the summer and have a guaranteed way home each year. Scam artist at its best!
As far as I know the travelers aid program ended years ago. There is a social service agency in Anchorage that will pay for transport only in Alaska and it has to be for medical reasons, which have to be verified. When I worked there we received many requests from folks asking to be transported back to the lower 48 which we could not do; agency would have went broke real quick.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 AM

251 posts, read 680,154 times
If I were to be laid off I would think about leaving, I was born and raised here went to school out of state and was fortunate enough to get a "good" job back up here again but with the job market the way it is if I were to be laid off with the bills I have I would have to look for work else where. When I was almost laid off I started handing out resumes and looking for other jobs because who wants to work some where where you know your riding the line but its been 7 months and nothing yet, if I were really laid off I would have been totally screwed, im hoping january 2010 opens up some more opprotunities we will see if the job offers start rolling in but im not holding my breath.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 PM

10 posts, read 25,338 times
We are 15+year Alaskans going to leave probably within a year. Why? Partly because of the influx of scumbags from the lower 48 who have come here. Food stamps are up 28% and Alaska now is over 800,000 people, with most moving to Fairbanks and Anchorage. Alaska is now the second highest state for new people moving in. On top of that, the rising costs in heating oil, fuel and groceries is starting to take it's toll on us. My husband and I have good paying jobs and watch it all go to the oil and electric companies. The military is another reason for us going. While yes we are proud to have our freedom. I would love to have the statistics on how much crime is commited (rape, murder, DUI, burglary) by military. Each year for the last 8 years, the military has grown to the point that because of them, housing prices and rent is no longer affordable. Most dont like living here and complain about it constantly and always ask for a military discount wherever they go. They dont pay taxes into the state yet are more than willing to get on any state assistance that they can find and send the kids to state's schools and use our state's roads. No to mention how they try to get PFD's with absolutely no intention of staying in alaska and many of them dont even register their cars to alaska. I love Alaska and would love to stay but it just isnt as nice as it use to be here. I have talked to many who came up with no jobs, no housing lined up and they just go sign up for welfare, low income housing, etc. It would be nice if they used some of the PFD money to send these idiots home. While Alaska has always had it's share of people who move up here with high expectations only to realize it isn't the place they expected, there are more moving who dont respect Alaska and all that it has to offer than people moving here who will take care of the land. I will miss it here, too bad so many had to ruin it for the rest of us.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
I don't doubt the truth of what you're saying but take my word for it, Alaska is still not as bad as most of the lower 48...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska